70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Aprilia RS 125
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Speek-
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:51 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Yamaha yfz r125 or Aprilia RS 125 Reply with quote

Hello so i will turn 16 soon and cant make my mind up what should i get, i been looking for over a month and my eye got cought on these 2, i am down to spend 1k-6k and just wanna know your opinion, i would like a preaty fast bike (i know its not a real sports bike but still), a sports bike big look, so i could modify it atleast a bit. I heard that 2store Rs is faster and yamaha is 4 stroke and its more realiable. Would like to know what is the top speed of these 2 just like ~. (Btw i am from europe)

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheaper one.

Speek-
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:56 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
The cheaper one.

I am not looking for a cheaper, i am willing to spend 6thousand euros on it, just wanna know the experiance of people or just opinions about those 2 bikes Yamaha yzf and aprilia rs. But thank you

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:50 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RS125 is faster and whilst servicing might be more expensive than it would be for the YZF125, if you've got the money then go for it.

It being faster is subject to the licensing laws of your country and whether the bike has to be restricted. Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very basically both are good bikes, and flashy looking sports style 125's.

Personally I'd say that the earlier the model of Aprilia RS you buy the better they are, both in looks and quality and also in performance.

Conversely the newer the model of Yamaha YZFR the better they are, again in spec and looks, though there's little in it between any version performance wise.

You won't have to pay anywhere near 6000 Euro for either though!

I'd hesitate to buy a son/daughter any bike of that value at age 17-18. But then again I'd love a brand new 6000 Euro 125 for myself, though it'd be neither of these bikes. My problem with them though is that for a few hundred Euro more you can buy
the bikes I like at 250 or 350cc versions instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are both cracking 125's. Go for the one you like the look of.

Is there an Aprilia dealer near to you for servicing etc.

I sat on the YZFR 125 and it was not noticeably much smaller than my R6. It's good that the new breed of 125's can suit the larger rider.

Enjoy whatever you go for.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:31 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ist off, No 125 is particularly 'fast'....

If you check the used bike guides, the fastest of the fast two-stroke 125's were limited production 'homogenisation special' variants of either the Aprilia RS125 or Cagiva Mito. Both claim to be the 'fastest' 'production' 125's, and hold speed records that credit them with just about 100mph, under different regulating bodies rules..... that's still not particularly quick, in the grander scheme of things, and to put it in context? Its about as fast as an early 80's four-stroke single commuter 250, like the Honda CB250RS.

A-N-D? Its all largely playing the semantics game, of where you draw the lines. The 'fastest' 125 you could buy over the counter, was for probably twenty years or more the non-road-legal, race only, Honda RS125 'Grand-Prix' privateer race bike..... as supplied, it offered around 40bhp; with factory race 'kits' and after-market tuning some-times getting that up to perhaps 50bhp on a qualifying grenade-spec (Ie you know it gonna go 'bang') tuned engine. A specially prepared Honda RS125, I believe holds the out-right speed record for a 125cc powered machine at Bonaville, and its still not much over the 150mph mark... but more semantics still, digging into the specs for the classes it was run through the traps under, whether it was running 'full-streamline body-work or rocket-fuel etc.... BUT it sort of puts the end stops on what you can reasonably expect from any 125...... 45bhp is what they permit for the A2 licence, and mandates bike 'like' the old Kawasaki ER5, that most consider as dull as ditch-water and boring as feck..... and that is about as much as they ever got from the fastest of the fast competition only race specials!

Back to the Aprilia vs the R125.... they might both be about the fastest 125 motorcycles you can get your hands on, but, neither are particularly quick, and both have absolutely 'atrocious' reliability reps.

To be a 'little' fair to them, this is largely down to their usual owners as much as the machines. They sell on the idea of this 'awesome' fast, to owners who value that above most else, and who tend to thrash'em and crash'em... and IF they do any 'maintenance', they are as likely to spend time and money looking for 'more' fast than they are more 'last' and making them even more unreliable!

Brand New? No previous owner abuse? The Aprillia RS had a pretty demanding service schedule that begged half a new engine every couple of years at typical 'road' miles, and begged rather expensive high grade two-stroke oil to be used with the petrol, that along with it's rather low fuel consumption any-way, kind or made it rather expensive to run. The Yamaha? Slightly more real-world realistic... it has a couple of known bug-bears in its propensity to pop its head-gaskets, if thrashed, but as long as its not dicked-with 'can' be sort of every-day reliable, with regular oil changes, for maybe three or four years.... but out the box, it offers only half the power or so!

If I wanted a reliable every-day bike, that had to get me to and from work every-day... to be absolutely honest NEITHER would be on the list.

I'm 6foot tall, and almost half a century old, and BOTH would give me back-ache to try ride! And I KNOW that I would be just chucking money in spades at either to have that fantasy of 'fast', whilst I tried to dodge myopic SMIDSY's, who dont even bother to 'look' let alone give two hoots whether what they dont look at may look 'cool' to any-one!

I couldn't get a brand-new Apriliia RS, which takes that off the menu, but does beg probably 'bad' ideas. I still have rather a hankering for an early 'round lamp' seven-speed Cagiva Mito , and IF I was to indulge it, with what is by now a quarter-century old bike, worse learner-bike, worse still kiddie-go-kwik learner bike... knowing the state most 125's get trashed into even in the hands of notionally 'sensible' owners.... I would be looking to buy a project-base, that I would tear down to every last nut and bolt and 'restore' to a probably better than new condition... cash value of the bike wouldn't be worth what I spent on it, let alone the blood-sweat-and-tears along the way, building it.... but it would be all that it could be at the end, and stand a chance of being a reasonably useful sunny-day play-thing.... I could possibly commute on it for a little while... b-u-t.... I'd be rather loath to do all that work to have to keep re-doing it to waste the effort popping to the shops on it, and risking the insurance mans wrath when SMIDSY turned it back into a pile of scrap again! And I suppose if I was as enthusiastic about an Aprillia, I might do something similar with one of them....

BUT the point is, even if you could get something 'factory fresh'... its NOT really an every-day practical road-bike.... and to be honest, they probably never were, even when factory fresh! They were a sunny-day-special, and these days even more so.

Which chucks us back to the R125.... which? It has half the power of an RS125 or Mito... its certainly not 'fast', and it has almost NOTHING that makes it in any-way 'special', like the accolade of being the worlds 'fastest' 125, or having a seven speed gearbox, or sounding like a bumble-bee on amphetamines!

It is, pretty much a run of the mill four-stroke single 125 commuter bike, in a Toys-R-Us, "I wanna be an R1 when I grow up!" dress up suit!

For half the price or less, I could buy any number of 'boring' 125 four-stroke singles, that have pretty much as much real-world performance, for the sake of that pointy bit of plastic.... is it really worth it for the aesthetic and the fantasy? Especially when in the balance sheet, its not just the over-the counter buy price, but the every-day running costs, where its at best, no cheaper and almost certainly more money still, and certainly in the UK with rather atrocious young biker insurance premiums, that are inordinately loaded before you start, and even more so the more fancy and expensive the bike looks in the show-room... its JUST a very very expensive way to pay for a 'bit' of fantasy.... pretending to be on a real sports bike... not get to work or school or anywhere!

More still.... IF that dress-up-make believe is 'important'... how much of it do you really get, on a bike, on the public road? There are folk that spend inordinate amounts of money dressing up every weekend to pretend being Romans, or Vikings, or Knights of the Round Table.... man has found innumerouse 'silly' ways to waste time and money... like that, such as golf or fishing?!?!?

Hey! Whatever floats your boat mate! Personally, I don't 'really' see the attraction of sitting on a muddy canal bank dangling a bit of string in the water trying to out-wit a creature with no brain.... for the reward of chucking the dang thing back after!!! But? What the heck.....

For the thrills? Well, I got mine doing competition trials. Meant about two weeks of faffing and fettling after work to make the bike competition ready each time... so I could go get muddy and fall of it, and spend a couple more weeks moaning about the bruises and trying to fix the broken mudguards... another rather expensive way to waste time and money, but still..... it ALMOST makes the geeks sat polaying Call-of-Duty or other on-line computer games for days on end, living on red-bull and pizza seem moderately 'sensible'...

B-U-T.... that be the crux.

What do you want? Toy or transport?

For 'toy'? Yeah, great.. go for it, whatever toy you like really. BUT if toy, is a fast 125 road bike, in anyway, even delivering the 'fun' you hope toy might? Let alone value for money in what you have to spend to get it.

For transport? Well hundreds of ways to get around, and a motorbike? Is NOT really the 'best' way to do it very often! They are impractical, they are expensive, they are frequently uncomfortable and not all; that convenient... there are so many better ways about it!

BUT.... bike! Its toy.... but... I need it to get to work!!!!!! And we are into a world of self delusion, trying to convince ourselves how we get 'free' toy, cos we have to get to work... that rarely ever hold up under even barest scrutiny!

SO!

Your call really.... I REALLY find it hard to vote for either offering... of the two, IF I just want 'toy' and don't have expectations to get to and from work on the thing, A-N-D that (not so very!) 'fast' is really really important... well, then the R125 just don't have it..... a two-stroke 125 with potentially twice the power probably doesn't either.... but, it's 'lets pretend' fantacy, and at least it makes the right noises!

So... lets play devils advocate, and suggest:-

a) Aprillia RS125
b) A night with {Insert nymph of the moment}
c) a kicking games console
d) two-week club-med 18-30 holidays on the costa-racket
e) a weekly night out with the lads
f) a monthly trip to the theme park with VIP roller-coater seats
g) Helmet hair, and acne, gravel rash, broken bones, and parental moans.... constantly.... cos THAT is most likely what you are looking at buying yourself!

I say it time over time over time, but when you want to get 'in' to bikes, an actual bike is the LAST thing you really need worry about... and 'what-bike' is then even further down the list of priorities.....

Look at the whole plan, make sure you have one; do your home-work, dial in expectations to something remotely in the same country as the reality... pays your money and takes your chances.

At 16, with a heck of a lot of expectation and ambition, ANY powered two wheeler will blow your mind..... briefly..... so it really doesn't matter.

But, other than as a pure 'toy', neither of them would figure very highly in my reckoning, especially as for the fun, there are just SO many other ways to get more and spend less along the way. Certainly when I was 16, when the attractions of Loraine on the back-seat of the bus to tech, rather outweighed ANY ideas of any other way to college!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:24 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a 16 yr old capable of reading all this ? ^^^^

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the Yammy 125 but basically the same deal. This might give you an idea f the diference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VB1PGy3oLw

rs700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:35 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 100 mph Aprilia rs125 is far to powerful (and illegal) for a 17 year old learner to ride. For a first bike you want reliability, go for the bike you like best , the rs4 125 aprilia 4 stroke looks very nice, so do the offers from the jap 125 learner bikes (all 4 strokes).
A thrashed all the time 125 4 joke will wear out just as quickly as a 125 2 stroke, and the new injected 4 strokes are difficult for the home repair because the fuel injection systems can go wrong !
Buy new, get a reliable bike, learn how to ride !

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rs700 wrote:
the new injected 4 strokes are difficult for the home repair because the fuel injection systems can go wrong !

Get one with a carb?

Calumh96
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never recommend any 2stroke bike for a daily as you'll spend more time rebuilding it than you will riding it.
Also im not sure what country you're from but here in england you can only ride a 50 at 16 and when you're 17 you can ride a 125 up to 15bhp i think the aprillia is 33bhp.

The Aprillia is by far the fastest and most fun but i would not recommend unless you have a good knowledge for stripping and working on your own bike.
On the other hand the Yamaha is one of the faster 4stroke 125s with a solid engine that will go far without much maintenance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:47 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calumh96 wrote:
I would never recommend any 2stroke bike for a daily as you'll spend more time rebuilding it than you will riding it.

Vespa? Lambretta? MZ? BSA Bantum? Suzuki GP125? Yamaha RXS100, ad infinitum..... There are loads of two-stoke motorbike I would actually recommend, as an every-day commuter, and many of them have decades of good reputation earned doing just that.... and a far better reputation in many cases than even a YZF-R125, let alone an RS125!

Main thing, though, IS... not many of them are 'High-Performance' two-strokes, with water-cooling and exhaust power-valves; in fact many of them don't even have crank-case induction valves, reed or disc!

The Yamaha RD350YPVS, probably pioneered that, and 'did' reasonably prove just about daily usable, as long as it wasn't dicked with, but it also set the book-end for a notionally daily reliable Hi-Po 2T, at about 170bhp per litre or roughly 21-22bhp for a 125cc engine.

Calumh96 wrote:
i think the aprillia is 33bhp.

The most powerful they ever claimed to have shipped out the factory, was the 'Evolution' homologation specials of either the Mito or RS, of which I think they only had to make 250 examples, to qualify it for Italian Domestic 'production' racing; and with a bit of Ferari-esque number-juggling and displaying some part built bikes, some crank-cases and some frames to the scrutineers, they probably never even built that many genuine 'Evo' Spec examples! But, they only ever claimed I think it was 31bhp for those, and most genuine production models never claimed more than 30, whilst most were around 28bhp, and going down as emissions bit.

The 'Lore' they made 33bhp comes from the UK '33bhp Restricted' licence laws, until 2013, where, the hi-po 125's not being over the power limit were 'complaint' with licence limits, and hence so many inflated claims to presume they were absolutely 'on' that limit..... they weren't.

Some were actually outside the licence limits, because they were subject to a power-to-weight condition, too, but I believe both the Aprilia and Cagiva were both too heavy for that to really hit them. Did effect the KTM EX125 though.

The venerable old Honda NSR125, is probably the bench-mark for a 'Sporty' two-stoke 125, at at around 25bhp it was neither anywhere near the 33bhp claims so often made for full-power variants, or the more highly tuned Italians. It was no flyweight either, at a claimed 138Kg 'dry' weight, it was dang near as heavy as the Yamaha RD350YPVS, with more than twice the power, and a good 35-40% heftier than other, even water cooled two-smoke 125's like the earlier Kawasaki AR125 or Yam RD125, that tipped the scales at around the 100Kg mark. BUT, looked after and not dicked with, they 'could' prove sort of daily reliable... ish.

The RS125, incidental claimed 126Kg 'Dry', which is about the same weight as the supposedly 'lardy' Honda 125 Super-Dream twin... that didn't need a radiator filling with water! Its 'light'... but not very light! The Kawasaki AR124, with a similarly water-cooled engine, with 'sort' of full fairings, and a lot of cost cutting steel... like its frame! Weighed in at only 100Kg Some of the dirt-bike 125's even less than that.

Calumh96 wrote:
Also im not sure what country you're from but here in england you can only ride a 50 at 16 and when you're 17 you can ride a 125 up to 15bhp

He said, ambiguously 'Europe'... if its an EE country, then theoretically they are obliged to the same Euro-Homoganised licence laws, and age limits as we are' with 'AM' 50cc for 16 year-olds, 'A1' 15bhp 125's for 17-19 year olds and 45bhp 'A2' middle-weights, for 19-24 year-olds.

Outside the EE distraction? Regs can vary to non-existence! But most countries of Europe outside the EEC, I believe have either adopted the EE 3DL licence system, or a model closely based on, either hoping for inclusion in the union, or acceptance of thier local licences at parity at the boarder controls. I think this applies to most of former Czechoslovakia, for example.

Calumh96 wrote:
The Aprillia is by far the fastest and most fun but i would not recommend unless you have a good knowledge for stripping and working on your own bike.
On the other hand the Yamaha is one of the faster 4stroke 125s with a solid engine that will go far without much maintenance

Very debatable... and circumstantial... Personally I would say that the KTM EX125, is practically as fast as any of the hi-po 125's and with knobly tyres, in my opinion offers more potential 'fun'... either actually tackling genuine off-road... or just wobbly around like a drunken fat-chick in stilettoes on the maccadam!

Given the age of any of the hi-po 2T's now, thanks to emission borrox, being handy with the spanners is probably a mist for any of them; but? In the hands of over-enthusiastic teens and learners? NO 125 fares all that well!

As said, for a Sunny-Sunday play-thing, I still have a hankering for a round-lamp, seven-speed Mito... BUT it would be a complete tear-down and resto base, almost regardless of what condition the seller claimed it might be in, to get something even notionally reliable for Sunny-Sundays! Whether a three year old CBR125 or YZF-R125 might be in any better state? Any-ones guess really! There is some hope if it was factory fresh straight out the packing crate 'new'.... but it wouldn't be new very long! And the owners are probably more of an influence on potential reliability than the make, model or design... And typical owner of a 'sporty' 125? Probably not likely to be the most clued up, conscientious or diligent of owners!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:41 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calumh96 wrote:

Possibly, but less to go wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:05 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Calumh96 wrote:

Possibly, but less to go wrong.

Hmmm? Muteable. Apples and Benananas me-thinks, maybe.

In the humblest, piston-ported 2T single there is, essentially only 3 moving parts, crank, cons-rod & piston... they don't have cams or over-head poppet valves and stuff, 'b-u-t'....

Take a typical water-cooled two-stroke, you have a water jacket, and a water-pump, a radiator and hoses, and all the clamps for them. It starts to increase the number of parts in the thing, quite a lot. OK, so most of them don't move very much, but they are still there, there's still plenty extra to go wrong, and even more for numtpy DIY mechanic to eff-up.

Count up the parts on a parts list for a humble air-cooled, four-stroke single like the CG125 engine... and compare to the parts count for an Aprila RS125, and I suspect that even before you start tallying hoses, clamps and expansion tank, let alone, all brackets, or the power-valve tube, or its servo or its operating cable, etc etc etc, there are likely more and more moving parts than in a humble air-cooled 4T and 'more' that could actually go 'wrong'... even before you consider the likely standards of maintenance of mechanical diligence applied to any lack of maintenance!

And? Well, the humble CG and bikes like it, say the C90 cub step-through, with a more complicated OHC engine, and the things have a reputation for cockroach like indestructibility and numpty-freindliness... bikes like tyhe RS125 on the other hand have the reputation of being a granade looking for some-where to explode!

I don't necessarily believe that there IS 'less' to go wrong on one... but even if there was, and even if you discount numpty owner mechanics or ideas of tuning.... they are still more likely to go 'pop', and beg something be fixed....

CG125 or C90? Service schedule says that you change the oil ever thousand or so miles, and that pretty much is it, you ride'em till they stop.

RS125? The service schedule, includes replacing the piston, and the crank! It sort of begs a complete rebuilt every couple of years, and 'most' of the critical parts of the engine chucking away and replacing!

Oh-Kay... yup, there are fewer 'bits' listed as service items.... but the ones that are are, pretty significant! And replacement intervals pretty close!

It is to a large extent comparing apples and banana's then arguing over a nectarine! All very different kinds of 'fruit'.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1