Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are cruiser motorcycles dying out?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Are cruiser motorcycles dying out? Reply with quote

I've noticed the UK has always had a respectable selection of cruiser styled bikes up until recently. As far as I can tell, most of the 'metric' suppliers have simply stopped making them. Examples:

Honda no longer doing the Shadow, or any cruiser on their website for 2019.
Suzuki no longer doing the Volusia/C800/M50/VL1500 etc, again no sign of any new models on their site.
Yamaha completely seized production of their 'Star' line of cruisers.
Kawasaki no longer do their 'Vulcan' series of cruisers. Well apart from this cruiser/street bike hybrid with a 650cc Ninja powerplant. (I admit it looks quite nice)

https://storage.kawasaki.eu/public/kawasaki.eu/en-EU/model/18EN650D_44SBK1DRS2CG_A.png

Which leaves us with Harley Davidson which surprisingly is very popular in this country. Indian (quick google shows they have quite a few dealerships dotted around England) and Triumph I guess? Closest thing they do is the Bonneville Speedmaster:

https://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/2000_1x_/public/images/2017/10/triumph-bonneville-speedmaster-location-front-quarter-hero.jpg?itok=f7HKouWj&fc=68,50

I couldn't find much on why manufacturers have dropped cruiser models, except I did read that due to stricter and stricter EU laws on safety and emissions, manufacturers just don't see it worthwhile redesigning their bikes to meet such standards, so drop them all together.
Others say the used cruiser market is so big (garage queens) that simply no one wants to buy brand new when you can get a 3 year old minter for half the RRP.
The US market still has some new offerings from the above manufacturers but again, not like it used to be.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:15 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Are cruiser motorcycles dying out? Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
I've noticed the UK has always had a respectable selection of cruiser styled bikes up until recently.

https://i.imgur.com/RBAxkiI.gif

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:22 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The homosexuals have started to ride 'adventture' bikes.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:27 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sportsbikes are dying too. That's a far more urgent worry...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:33 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruisers strike me as suited to long open roads with little interruption.

I have never understood how that applies to the UK.

Haven't ridden one yet though...

I might rent a Harley this year just to try, does that make me fag-curious??

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:

As long as you only ride it when it's dark when your mates wan't see you you'll be alright otherwise, yes I'm afraid it does.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:

You'd think so but they handle perfectly fine on UK roads. I think the issue most have is they learned on a typical sports bike or commuter bike like a Bandit, so when they ride a cruiser it feels alien. Feet stuck out in front, back straight, using only arm muscles to counter steer etc. Yes some models can be so wide that filtering is a bit harder but the same can be said for a Goldwing, VFR, BMW etc.
As for the homo thing, you'd think said homo would prefer a nice, tight fitting leather one piece as opposed to jeans, dirty t shirt and piss pot helmet.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for variety, I'm going to present a sympathetic view of people who want cruisers.

Cruisers are so quintessentially American it's hard to imagine anything more quintessentially American. Nothing wrong with that, as everyone likes a bit of Americana now and then. I, for one, would like to live in a more democratic, meritocratic, less classist society. The right to play with guns in the privacy of your own 'yard' would also make for a nice hobby. The American Dream is, for most people locked in the drudgery of this rather miserable place, a nice little bit of escapism. Most people don't mind the occasional visit to McDonalds, or watching a Hollywood movie, for example. But watching Hollywood movies and eating McD isn't something that you want to do every day, even if you're so balls-deep into Americana that you own a Chevy big-block V8. The fascination someone in Britain may have for cruisers is the same as watching that American bloke on TV who goes around America eating the biggest, unhealthiest comfort foods he can, in eating competitions at restaurants.

Wanting a cruiser is different from wanting a bike. We've got three types of road: motorway/dual carriageway with lots of other cars and frequent lane and junction changes, town and city riding (slow, lots of filtering and nimble maneuvres, special alertness and sixth sense needed at rush hour), and country riding (bendy, empty but narrow roads). Only one of those 3 is fun, and guess what, a cruiser is the least suited bike for any of those 3.

For these reasons, the market for cruisers has to adapt to fit into what those people who want an occasional fantasy escape-ride away from the daily office grind want. Those people who ride cruisers regularly and do it all year round do exist, but they aren't a significant enough market sector for the manufacturers to think about. So nobody will cater for them in the future. It's going to be all about the occasional weekend America-phile escapist, and no Japanese bike will ever be as American as an American bike.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:03 - 01 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Just for variety, I'm going to present a sympathetic view of people who want cruisers.

Cruisers are so quintessentially American it's hard to imagine anything more quintessentially American. Nothing wrong with that, as everyone likes a bit of Americana now and then. I, for one, would like to live in a more democratic, meritocratic, less classist society. The right to play with guns in the privacy of your own 'yard' would also make for a nice hobby. The American Dream is, for most people locked in the drudgery of this rather miserable place, a nice little bit of escapism. Most people don't mind the occasional visit to McDonalds, or watching a Hollywood movie, for example. But watching Hollywood movies and eating McD isn't something that you want to do every day, even if you're so balls-deep into Americana that you own a Chevy big-block V8. The fascination someone in Britain may have for cruisers is the same as watching that American bloke on TV who goes around America eating the biggest, unhealthiest comfort foods he can, in eating competitions at restaurants.

Wanting a cruiser is different from wanting a bike. We've got three types of road: motorway/dual carriageway with lots of other cars and frequent lane and junction changes, town and city riding (slow, lots of filtering and nimble maneuvres, special alertness and sixth sense needed at rush hour), and country riding (bendy, empty but narrow roads). Only one of those 3 is fun, and guess what, a cruiser is the least suited bike for any of those 3.

For these reasons, the market for cruisers has to adapt to fit into what those people who want an occasional fantasy escape-ride away from the daily office grind want. Those people who ride cruisers regularly and do it all year round do exist, but they aren't a significant enough market sector for the manufacturers to think about. So nobody will cater for them in the future. It's going to be all about the occasional weekend America-phile escapist, and no Japanese bike will ever be as American as an American bike.

Fuck off, fag

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:29 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby!
Stop that!
What have we told you about picking on them gay boys?
You cant do that no more or you'll be having the police around again.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley's have come on quite a bit in terms of quality and ride. The Evo engined bikes were probably the turning point, and since then the Japanese cruisers have lost appeal. Why buy a copy?

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:50 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
I think the issue most have is they learned on a typical sports bike or commuter bike like a Bandit, so when they ride a cruiser it feels alien. Feet stuck out in front, back straight, using only arm muscles to counter steer etc.

Yep totally, having only ridden stuff like Fazer's, CBF's and sports bikes, I hired a Harley in the California a couple of times for shits'n'giggles (Dyna Low Rider 103 and RoadKing 107). And yes, spent first 15 mins out of the hire shop flaying my feet around trying to work out where they should go. Crazy see-saw gear change on the RoadKing was definitely a bit queer...

TBF, they were quite fun. Different, but definitely enjoyable. And yes they did go round corners, even on tight mountain climb hairpins, but I did scrape pegs, boards and god knows what else along the way. And, yes they could shift it when needed on the highways, torque on them was mad. And yes, I did manage to pick the RoadKing up after dropping it (at standstill onto bars), but god I swore.

But yeah, back in blighty now, queer harley experimental phase done, certainly wouldn't buy one, all straight and back on Fazer's again now. You can't knock it, until you tried it, ditto the Harleys'... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hell! I thought why not be kind to cruiserists, then I get called out as a fag. LOL
Tell you what though, apart from bikes and the art of riding we ain't got nothing on the US of A if you're still doing that 90s pick-up thing (I'm NOT - way past that). Believe that or don't - no skin off my nose.

OK, well, I don't own a cruiser and I wouldn't want one either. But the only other 2 riders of bikes (i.e. not scooter fags) I saw consistently over winter were 2 open-faced cruisin' bois: one on an orange Honda Shadow and the other on some purple (?) Harley. Now, you could say the purple Harley guy was definitely a fag, and ordinarily I might agree with you (although each to their own, etc.) but that Harley fag had a SCORCHING hot chick on pillion. In tight BDSM leathers too...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:14 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
but that Harley fag had a SCORCHING hot chick on pillion. In tight BDSM leathers too...

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups. And gender assumption will get you shot these days. That chick on the back
might well have been a roofer called Steve in these cray-cray times. Certainly the right bike scene for all that kinda stuff.
Don't you have to make sure the chain on your wallet hangs the right way or something. Question

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:00 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Harley's have come on quite a bit in terms of quality and ride. The Evo engined bikes were probably the turning point, and since then the Japanese cruisers have lost appeal. Why buy a copy?

Because the Japs take a concept, improve it ten fold and produce their own version.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
And gender assumption will get you shot these days. That chick on the back
might well have been a roofer called Steve in these cray-cray times.

In this day and age? Nah, more likely to be 'gender neutral'....whatever the fuck THAT is. Or one of these new age parents that have decided not to assign a gender to their baby, so that they can assign themselves when they're ready.

Gah! It's a simple game the Doctor plays when a new human appears. It's called 'cock or no cock'.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I hope they're dying out yes.
Out of curiosity, where did this bad boy fit into the scheme of things? Was it a cruiser? Was it a sports bike?
Only asking cos a mate had one and I want to take the piss.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7858/40289504873_3475695605_b.jpgFor linking purposes only! fzzz by Craig David, on Flickr

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:
jnw010 wrote:

Because the Japs take a concept, improve it ten fold and produce their own version.

Confused Yeah, that's my point. Harley gained that ground back making the Jap bikes no better. The Jap versions never got the character of the bike in the same way, so when Harley got the rest of it right the copies lost favour.
There are still some who like cruisers, while hating the Harley brand, but that's a small market, and Harley are working on image to pull in younger riders and get away from the pure gay pirate vibe.

You don't see a lot of 'em in the UK because they are f'in expensive over here compared to the US, which is a shame.
Also, lack of gay pirates in UK.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:

Confused Yeah, that's my point. Harley gained that ground back making the Jap bikes no better. The Jap versions never got the character of the bike in the same way, so when Harley got the rest of it right the copies lost favour.
There are still some who like cruisers, while hating the Harley brand, but that's a small market, and Harley are working on image to pull in younger riders and get away from the pure gay pirate vibe.

You don't see a lot of 'em in the UK because they are f'in expensive over here compared to the US, which is a shame.
Also, lack of gay pirates in UK.

Thats not the point though. Cruisers as a whole are less popular. It isnt that metric cruisers are unpopular and Harley have taken a much larger market share.

'Harley-Davidson reported a lower than expected quarterly profit on Tuesday, hit by declining sales in the United States, its biggest market, as its loyal baby boomer customers age, sending its shares down nearly 6 per cent.

Harley's loud, bulky and expensive cruising bikes preferred by baby boomers have not clicked with millennials, as many of them spend on paying off home, car and student loans.'

Not only that reason, but they've outsourced a lot of their manufacturing to Thailand which has completely turned off the mouthbreathing 'I'll ONLY buy MADE IN AMERICA!!!' types.

I can't wait to see their electric bike monstrosity though

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:55 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evo engines are considered to be pretty decent as harleys go?

Mary, mother of god. They're God-awful noisy vibrating pieces of shit.

If that's the best, the older engines must be absolutely dire.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Japanese cruiser engines are bad things to have, and the yank iron stuff is better and more 20th century than they were, not to forget the fact they are laughably easy to tune for percentage gains. I think the aftermarket performance industry versions of these tall twins have a place as they improve all of the areas of the HD design, make useful power and are compact enough for some interesting specials and frame designs.

Whats not cool or popular in the UK and never has been is cruiser frame geometry, crap brakes and ground clearance and excess weight. None of it works for UK roads.

However something say Bandit size and chassis spec could be a good bike or an interesting alternative to ride with a big twin motor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:38 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am aged 58 and ride a Harley Sportster, I did ask my 28 year old girlfriend if I was a fag and she said no.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I don't think the Japanese cruiser engines are bad things to have, and the yank iron stuff is better and more 20th century than they were, not to forget the fact they are laughably easy to tune for percentage gains. I think the aftermarket performance industry versions of these tall twins have a place as they improve all of the areas of the HD design, make useful power and are compact enough for some interesting specials and frame designs.

Whats not cool or popular in the UK and never has been is cruiser frame geometry, crap brakes and ground clearance and excess weight. None of it works for UK roads.

However something say Bandit size and chassis spec could be a good bike or an interesting alternative to ride with a big twin motor.

Thats the con though. Harleys are purposely sold massively undertuned and sluggish, just so every customer blows another few thousand on their 'Screamin' Eagle' cam upgrades and fuel processors etc.
Whereas the Japs just do it right the first time.

Yamaha Raider, Stratoliner (1854cc / 113” 48 degree v-twin) 90hp & 124ft lbs torque
Harley-Davidson Twin Cam (1450cc / 88” 45 degree single plug v-twin with F.I.) – 62hp & 77 ft lbs of torque

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

EazyDuz wrote:

Thats the con though. Harleys are purposely sold massively undertuned and sluggish, just so every customer blows another few thousand on their 'Screamin' Eagle' cam upgrades and fuel processors etc.
Whereas the Japs just do it right the first time.

Except where suspension is concerned. If it isn't the latest sports bike, budget at best. Then they'll upgrade it a bit on the first or second revision of the model.

But since cruisers (allegedly) handle like barges anyway, I guess that doesn't really matter where the thread topic is concerned Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5