Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Are cruiser motorcycles dying out?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:18 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:

eh i would have gone with blandit riding twats

Oh Christ, yeah, you gotta draw the line somewhere! Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruisers = phags has been part and parcel of BCF since the beginning. Despite the endless stereotypes and the supposed 'poor attitude' of cruiser riders (he didn't wave back what a meanie!!!') I've yet to encounter a biker, on any kind of bike except maybe a moped, have a bad attitude on the road.
Many a cager purposely swerving toward the centre line to prevent filtering however.
That said i've never seen a sports bike rider do anything other than take off from the traffic lights. When faced with a roundabout, they seem to make it their mission to get around it with as little lean as humanly possible. What good is all that power and handling if you don't dare use any of it?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
I don't understand the cruiser hate... bunch of UJM wankers

If it helps, I currently have a cruiser. Had a few in the past as well.

However, cruisers are still shit. They're flawed by design. You can't have balance that far back and that much rake and expect the damn thing to handle.

UJM, blandit - You haven't got a clue. You've already been pegged for copying the big boys on big bikes. I presume you know a few 50-60's wanabee 1%'ers? Usual culprits for this sort of retarded attitude.

You're still an autistic fuckwad that needs to learn a few things. Grow the fuck up kiddo.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:03 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main gripes were that I didn't like the upright position as it hurt the base of my spine after an hour or so and the small tank sizes.

All in all I'd rather a tourer or a maxi scooter for greater comfort and utility. I don't particularly care about looks.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
ART-ADS wrote:
I don't understand the cruiser hate... bunch of UJM wankers

If it helps, I currently have a cruiser. Had a few in the past as well.

However, cruisers are still shit. They're flawed by design. You can't have balance that far back and that much rake and expect the damn thing to handle.

UJM, blandit - You haven't got a clue. You've already been pegged for copying the big boys on big bikes. I presume you know a few 50-60's wanabee 1%'ers? Usual culprits for this sort of retarded attitude.

You're still an autistic fuckwad that needs to learn a few things. Grow the fuck up kiddo.

Lol wat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9MVY8swO5M

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you see fucktons of cruisers at Club races, WSB, MotoGp, motogymkhana and other events, totally dominanting everything else.

No. You see them at events that scream 'Murica! Because many depts can't find their arses with both hands, let alone be subjective about 'jap' or 'kraut' bikes being better than 'Made in USA!' bikes, so they slam the poor things about and grind the fuck out of them.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've nothing against cruiserfags but, on one occasion, one of them reacted furiously to me pointing out that a swingarm parallel to the ground was less than optimal when trying to negotiate a corner (because of contraction vs. expansion in trail). And I mean furiously! I reckon any discussion of the fore-and-aft distribution of mass, or frame design and geometry, would go the same way. Trellis frames? Just bollocks and Jap/Italo trash to save manufacturers money! Engine as stressed member? Just bollocks and Jap/Italo trash to save manufacturers money! Overhead cam and water cooling? Just bollocks and Jap/Italo trash to save manufacturers money! Variable valve lift or timing? Just bollocks and Jap trash to save manufacturers money! These guys can go around a corner at the mind-boggling velocity of 35mph so fuck all tech developments since 1960.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:14 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
I don't understand the cruiser hate.

Wub

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:30 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most cruiser riders, not all, are older. No crime in that. Many older riders slow down a bit in all aspects of life. Many of them rode the fastest, best handling bikes back in their day. Lot of bullshit talked by mouthy guys with huge generalisations on all biking subjects. Cruisers are not meant to handle well or be light or cheap. They are what they are. I'm 70 this year and ride a thou which is pretty nippy. Best handling bike I ever had was a Daytona. Best overall biking experience was my HD Iron. Fastest were my Busas. Next bike might be a Milwaukee Eight Harley. Still might like a Fireblade for the odd blast one day. Cruisers....yes on a nice day when I'm feeling in the mood. Japanese lightweights - brilliant (although KTM's/Ducatis often better). As for bike know-alls (which includes cruiser lovers and haters)... usually just trolls! The cruiser is dead! Long live the cruiser. Can you enjoy a cruiser and a sports bike? - of course you can - for different reasons. Chips are great but occasionally a bit of cabbage goes down ok. Variety is the spice of life, unless you are a bike moron of course. But then when your head is stuck up your arse, you don't see everyone laughing at you. Laughing

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

you dont know the first thing about me c**t, 'copying the big boys' tf do you mean? i like what i like and its got fuck all to do with whatever anyone else likes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:

you dont know the first thing about me c**t, 'copying the big boys' tf do you mean? i like what i like and its got fuck all to do with whatever anyone else likes

Considering that, you seem to be a bit sensitive about what others think. Now, with me, that really is the case. I ride a Fazer, and I like it very much. But if you want to take the piss out of it, that's fine by me. I don't like cruisers; they're not what I want from riding bikes, and I will take the piss sometimes. But really, it's just nice to see more folks enjoying bikes, whatever they are. Calm down a bit, find your sense of humour. You'll struggle on this forum without one.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:13 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:

It's Twat, not cunt. Says so right in the name kiddo. Methinks you protest to much. You're desperate to fit that image. You try to pull the "biker that doesn't give a fuck" image. Problem is, we've all seen a hundred of you before, we know it's bullshit. You're a kid that really wants to be "a biker", for whatever image of "Biker" you have in your head.

Just be yourself. Accept a bit of banter. Accept you're going to get assless chaps jokes, and shit bike jokes.

And you know the only thing worse than a Cruiser?

A 125 Cruiser. Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll see you your 125cc cruiser and raise you:

A 125cc two stroke cruiser. Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Well I'll see you your 125cc cruiser and raise you:

A 125cc two stroke cruiser. Laughing

That's... nasty...

Eeeeeewwwwwwww.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't aprilia make a 2stroke cruiser at some point?

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this thread turned into

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/umassmedia.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/6/65/6654b456-8739-11e6-80d1-6fdbf0019876/57eeab6b8eef5.image.jpg?resize=400%2C274

Nice to see BCF has plenty of mature members these days

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Didn't aprilia make a 2stroke cruiser at some point?

Yeah called the Red Rose or something equally gay.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:41 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way getting back to the point...lack of cruisers, obvious to me, the manufacturers have seen our ever worsening road surfaces.....hence the overpopulation of adventure bikes.

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
Any way getting back to the point...lack of cruisers, obvious to me, the manufacturers have seen our ever worsening road surfaces.....hence the overpopulation of adventure bikes.

Doubt it.
Someone posted earlier saying the main jap manufacturers are releasing new ones this year, which they are, but only in America. Cant find any evidence of anyone bringing new models out this year other than Harley and Kawa. And Triumph if they count.

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:13 - 08 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking for a winter rat, the cheapest bikes were Viragoes of various engine sizes. In the end I didn't "win" any on eBay so I don't know how they rode ... but can't have been worse than the BMW I lost half the money on ... but to me it says the punter's appetite for them is decreased, so the manufacturers all following the trend, mostly retro-road bikes.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viragos are an interesting choice of bike (in the UK)...

It's easy to coin an explanation for why someone might buy a Harley. Not so easy for a Virago.

I wouldn't mind one, just to chop it down into a sort of stripped down Frankenstein of a cafe/street tracker. But it seems most people buy these to keep them in stock form, and they don't ride them.

If you check them out on Ebay, they all tend to have very low mileages for their age. 1990s bikes with something like just 12000 miles on them aren't uncommon. Most haven't been modified beyond sticking a different set of bars on them. They're not in the bargain basement category of street bikes either. So, for some reason, there's a stronger market for used Viragos (going by their used prices) than for things like used SV1000s and Fazers in some cases, and that market is set on buying them, keeping them original, putting something like 1000 miles on them then selling them on a few years later. How would you explain that one? Eh?

E.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-virago-xv1100/132971369037

1991 Virago XV1100.
Asking price: £2300.
Mileage: 23781 (averages out at just 849 miles a year).

Last edited by Bhud on 00:29 - 09 Mar 2019; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:28 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a virago...

None of the cachet of a hardly (ha!), same stupid seating position and shit for commuting because you're lower down than most cars, limiting your vision.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noob here with a Superlight 125 faux cruiser...

As a (relative) outsider I've found the reaction to *any* cruiser (even fakes like mine) by the muggles is always "wow, man, that's a soooper kewl bike!"

To which I say "thanks!" while at the same time thinking "you know nothing, Jon Snow!"

Honestly: all the atrociousness you'd expect of Chinese 125's on fast roads are made just that little bit worse by aping the cruiser format. However, if you only need to nip about heavy traffic areas like central London then *any* bike is more agile than a car.

TBH I need to find a serious excuse to ditch it (i.e. get full licence) as the non-bikers just keep piling up the compliments!

Still, could be worse, could be talking about Cafe Racers!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:

Still, could be worse, could be talking about Cafe Racers!

..or 'bobbers' or 'brats' whatever the hell they are. I think that anything that would be welcomed by 'The Bike Shed' is generally reviled by BCF, and right;ly so.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:52 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF is a brat bike? Confused

Google to the rescue!!

"A brat style bike is a non-rigid custom with either a flat, slab seat long enough to ride two-up, or a solo seat lowered via mild frame modification. It has a lowered stance with most unnecessary equipment removed–fairings, chrome, etc. Handlebars can be mini-apes, superbike bars, or motocross bars–but no clip-ons. Moto-styled bars often skew the bike toward the category of “brat tracker,” especially if slightly knobby tires are fitted.

To summarize, a brat typically has:

Sprung rear (no hardtail)
Flat, slab seat or lowered solo seat
Mini-apes or dirt-style bars (no clip-ons)
Fenders bobbed, fairings and chrome removed"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5