Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Lithium battery going (very) flat?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

jlparsons
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:52 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Lithium battery going (very) flat? Reply with quote

I changed over to a lithium iron phosphate battery a couple of weeks ago on my BMW F800GT and after an initial charge everything has been going fine until yesterday when I go out to the garage and find it utterly dead. Not even the clocks flickered when I turned the key - never seen a bike that dead.
I plugged it into a lithium-specific battery conditioner which said it was at very low volts and automatically slow-charged it then fully charged it, so now everything appears perfect again but obviously I need to know what caused it so I don't risk getting stranded somewhere!
The alternator is kicking out 14v and the current drain with the bike turned off is 1.8 miliamps, so that appears all good. Best I can tell there's two options;
1. The battery has had sex and needs returning.
2. My recent short journeys with the heated grips on have drained more than the battery is being charged, causing it to drop. This seems unlikely to me?
Anyone else experience similar issues with lithium batteries?

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the battery is borked.

Both mine have sat since september last year and started first prod.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it out of the question something was left on, like the grips. Rolling Eyes
I would see how it goes for a while, you might have something intermittently faulty draining it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

jlparsons
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:27 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I would see how it goes for a while, you might have something intermittently faulty draining it.

Not as far as I know. There are heated grips but they're stock not aftermarket and they turn off with the engine. There is an alarm but it has its own battery. Can't rule out something intermittent though of course!

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlparsons wrote:
doggone wrote:

Not as far as I know. There are heated grips but they're stock not aftermarket and they turn off with the engine. There is an alarm but it has its own battery. Can't rule out something intermittent though of course!

Is the alarm battery for backup only though?

LiFePO4 don't like going flat, parasitic drain of an alarm will flatten it eventually as they don't have the capacity of lead acid equivalent.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
they don't have the capacity of lead acid equivalent.

Typically 4AH ish for most of the ones ive seen.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:17 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way you can find out if there is a battery drain, if that’s what it is, by exposing fuse box, remove each fuse and slowly put it back, and if you are able to do this in low light levels you may just see a tiny spark across the fuse terminals. Worth a go if it’s possible.
With ignition off

Motorhate
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:55 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth bearing in mind that the cold does affect Lithium batteries more than lead-acid / gel type batteries. It's the only thing that's putting me off getting one as they weigh next to nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorhate wrote:
Worth bearing in mind that the cold does affect Lithium batteries more than lead-acid / gel type batteries. It's the only thing that's putting me off getting one as they weigh next to nothing.

I wouldn't let that put you off, if you ever have problems at low temperatures you just put the headlight on for 30 secs to warm the battery.

I've never had to do it, but a 600cc 4cyl isn't particularly hard to crank.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 18 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1