Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A2 licence and 47bhp limit associated with Brexit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:06 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: A2 licence and 47bhp limit associated with Brexit Reply with quote

Boring all this Brexit stuff, but one thing has been puzzling me and that is , in view of the fact that the EU brought about the limits to riding motorbikes, ie hp etc, if we end up pulling out which will come soon what will happen to that law.
I’m suspecting it’ll still carry on as before.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked this on here before and the response was yes it could be changed but no to anyone with the power to do so giving a toss about it, or even a moments thought.

Speaking with instructors when I did my test revealed the cost of the Module one test pad surface alone -- and the fact they haven't recovered that money in test fee's -- means it will probably be a long time before its changed, and changing it before the funds are even would mean admitting that whoever implemented it in the first place was wrong.. and what a costly business that would be.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very unlikely to change, and, talking to the mechanic I use, most of regualtions are more stringent in the UK than the rest of the eu..

Make of that what you will, I haven't double checked, as, well, it is what it is.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:31 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you replace the current setup with?

Your options are to do away with the power restriction altogether - pass your test on a 125, then go and buy an R1. This is unlikely.

The alternative would be to choose a different amount of power allowed during the restricted period. The problem here is that 47hp is the standard, and bikes are available with this power output. You could either decrease it and find there are no restrictor kits available (and restricting a modern FI bike is harder than just putting some restrictor plates after a carb). You could increase the limit to say 60hp, and then find that very bikes exist in the 47-60hp range, so everyone still rides 47hp bikes.

What could be more possible would be to get rid of the need to another test to move up a restriction class (125cc > 47hp > unrestricted). That could go back to being a 2 year time limit.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changes are usually incremental, because of cost, no matter who does or does not dictate those changes be made.

In addition to the government/official costs to change anything, instructors have an investment in the bikes they have. If they suddenly are not needed, there's going to be a lot of pissed off instructors that are down however many grand they have left to pay off, or pay for themselves. Hacked about training school bikes with moon mileage are not exactly desireable used bikes, are they?

NooBish-AbbZ
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be changed but to be honest, i think it does work. It sucked a little bit that I had to pay the test Fees twice but I understand the reasoning behind the restricted license for 2 years.

What we really need is similar rules for cars. You can pass your driving test and go and buy a Bugatti Chiron the next day, as an example.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NooBish-AbbZ wrote:
What we really need is similar rules for cars. You can pass your driving test and go and buy a Bugatti Chiron the next day, as an example.

Which nobody in the history of the world has done, ever.
The point of laws and rules is to govern and ensure the populace is safe.
People tend to buy small cars when they pass their tests, as cars are expensive to buy and run. A 15 year old superbike can be put on the road for less than a 1 litre corsa. Ensuring that isn't done by 17 year olds is common sense.
Making a 2 year restriction on cars would be pointless, it's not there and there is no problem of 17 year old in cars that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds.
I do however see this changing when electric cars become more widespread. In say 20 years, there are going to be a shed load of sub 4 second electric cars going cheaply enough for 17 year olds to crash and burn. By then, it will be different, you can be sure of that.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t think it will change but it would give biking a huge shot in the arm if it did. I’ve said it before but the silly licensing laws put kids off getting into bikes. No one wants to wait while 24 (best case scenario depending on how deep your pockets are) to ride something with decent bhp. But EU or not the government hate private vehicles and won’t relax licensing laws, they’ll just trot out the “road safety” excuse as the reason to leave it as it is.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:20 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
I don’t think it will change but it would give biking a huge shot in the arm if it did. I’ve said it before but the silly licensing laws put kids off getting into bikes. No one wants to wait while 24 (best case scenario depending on how deep your pockets are) to ride something with decent bhp. But EU or not the government hate private vehicles and won’t relax licensing laws, they’ll just trot out the “road safety” excuse as the reason to leave it as it is.

Erm, 24 is only for Direct access, they can have a full A license at 21, based in progressive access, ie, held an A2 license for 2 years, and then take a fresh mod2

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Erm, 24 is only for Direct access, they can have a full A license at 21, based in progressive access, ie, held an A2 license for 2 years, and then take a fresh mod2

Still sounds a load of hassle and expense compared to just doing one test like it used to be.

By 21 i’d Been riding a 750 for nearly two years (116 rwbhp) and would of had zero interest in anything currently available on a so called “restricted licence”. I would of passed my car test instead.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 03 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: A2 licence and 47bhp limit associated with Brexit Reply with quote

Grubscrew wrote:
Boring all this Brexit stuff, but one thing has been puzzling me and that is , in view of the fact that the EU brought about the limits to riding motorbikes, ie hp etc, if we end up pulling out which will come soon what will happen to that law.
I’m suspecting it’ll still carry on as before.

Correct. The "Great Repeal Bill" of what, the mid '17s?, now subsumed by the EU (Withdrawal) Act 2018 writes existing EU law into domestic law, to save a lot of time, red tape and upheaval, where it can then be tinkered with as required.

It may be that changes to existing law are made. However, as ? posted recently about allowing 16-year-olds to ride 125s, some things are unlikely to happen. Some of these unlikely things have merit, so it'll be a case of trying to accomplish change by the normal ways going forward.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
NooBish-AbbZ wrote:

People tend to buy small cars when they pass their tests, as cars are expensive to buy and run. A 15 year old superbike can be put on the road for less than a 1 litre corsa. Ensuring that isn't done by 17 year olds is common sense.
Making a 2 year restriction on cars would be pointless, it's not there and there is no problem of 17 year old in cars that can do 0-60 in 3 seconds.
I do however see this changing when electric cars become more widespread. In say 20 years, there are going to be a shed load of sub 4 second electric cars going cheaply enough for 17 year olds to crash and burn. By then, it will be different, you can be sure of that.

He does make a point though. There's some kids who have enough money behind them to have flashy cars at 17/18, not to mention foreign students with the gulf states. Regularly leave their Range Rover Evoques etc wherever they want, never need to pay tickets etc.

Happens a lot in Liverpool with the uni students.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:27 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
NooBish-AbbZ wrote:

Which isn't the case here unless you mean make it safer by slowly banning most bikes.

You could also very easily have a restricted new driver cars like the jap kei class or the old sans permis cars in France.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:28 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
they’ll just trot out the “road safety” excuse as the reason to leave it as it is.

Road safety isn't even an excuse when plenty of people are going byk lyf or freemen.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:57 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

He does make a point though. There's some kids who have enough money behind them to have flashy cars at 17/18, not to mention foreign students with the gulf states. Regularly leave their Range Rover Evoques etc wherever they want, never need to pay tickets etc.

Happens a lot in Liverpool with the uni students.

If this is to suggest that a car power restriction is a good idea, then remember that these are outliers. I would argue that there are a lot more bikers who either never bothered with restrictors, or pulled them out after a month - particularly back in the day when lots of us had "33hp" sports 400s and 600s.

I'm always in two minds about the whole restriction thing. On the one hand, I agree with the 47hp restriction. Its enough power to have fun and there are lots of bikes available at that level now.
On the other hand, it would by hypocritical of me, because I got rid of my 33hp restrictors after a month or two.

As Pjay mentioned, the rules are there for public safety. For every one Valentino Rossi, there are 100 LukeVFRs. Keeping them on a KTM 390 for two years gives them time for their skills to catch up with their ego and reduces the chance of them cocking up and throwing their bike at a bus stop at 100mph.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:22 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
As Pjay mentioned, the rules are there for public safety. For every one Valentino Rossi, there are 100 LukeVFRs. Keeping them on a KTM 390 for two years gives them time for their skills to catch up with their ego and reduces the chance of them cocking up and throwing their bike at a bus stop at 100mph.

Agreed, but I think everyone should be restricted for a year or two including those over 26. I think it's more about experience than age, but as with you my 33bhp restrictors 'fell out' about 6 months after I bought my NC21.

46bhp is a MUCH better power limit than 33bhp. I'd have said 60bhp would have been perfect, but 46 is better than I ever expected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:42 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is almost zero chance of regulations ever being relaxed, on anything. The general trend in the West is ever tightening rules and Brexit wont make any difference to that

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should have left things as they were once upon time i.e. 33bhp restriction on any bike for 2 years if your under 21yrs, if you can afford the insurance then great for you enjoy,

Or even better no restriction at all, if you end up killing yourself and live hopefully you learn from it, if not then thats life.
People die everyday from other more simplitic means, im not into the whole its too dangerous to give a 17yr old or noob a powerful bike when in fact they can with a car..........

Too much cuddling and shit these days
If at 17yrs old you can afford and insure a 1998 R1 or 2019 R1 then enjoy
I have never thought it fair that car drivers can drive anything from 17yrs so long as they can afford it

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:26 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There does seem to an over complicated way of obtaining the licences, compared to “when I was a lad”.
Not that I disagree. I recon it is good to know the road/traffic etiquette on a low powered bike, but it would seem that a 30 mph moped is somewhat more of a hazard than one that say did 40.

The 30 mph has been the go for years. Bring back the Fizzie days.

My son is due to be taking his mod 2 (47bhp), I think that is the limit.
Him having been on a 125 for two years having passed his test on that has shown him the pros and cons of biking.
So I’m pleased he’s had that restriction. He has however been on my FJR1300, and can understand that with the wrong type of mindset on a 147bhp bike can be a recipe for a quick disaster.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are motor vehicles, motor vehicles are bad m`kay and are in the first throes of complete abolition. Nobody is going to make it easier to get one onto the road than it is already. They will stealth abolish ICE vehickes using other less direct legislation but which will still have an impact on uptake numbers. For example, jumping through 14000 hoops to get your licence in the first place or having age and emissions limits to prematurely retire vehicles which could otherwise go on for years. Its all going toward the same aim. Daily charges to use your own vehicles in cities, eyewatering insurance rates, parking fines, cameras catching any minor transgressions and a fat fine to go with it of course. Pretty clear to me that they are trying to take our motors away. Its always stick and never carrot.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:30 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 47bhp limit is at least a million times better than the 33bhp limit because bike manufacturers acknowledge its existence so you're not at the mercy of FI International.

Speaking of FI International, let's see how they're doing...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03649373

Oh dear, it couldn't have happened to a nicer company. Laughing

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with 47bhp. You can definitely die on one of them bikes, 100mph into a lamppost isn't licence restricted. Btw... njd, mod 1 and 2 were in a long time before 47bhp change. Oh, and they split the test cost when it came in.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:07 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Road safety isn't even an excuse when plenty of people are going byk lyf or freemen.

I remember when, back in the 90s and early 2000s, "going byk lyf" was inconceivable for normal, upright, right-thinking individuals. People just didn't do it - it was thought that you'd get caught eventually. Now it's a completely different world. It's a realistic possibility now, given that enforcement of the zillion laws on the books is always going to be selective, and ever rarer and more politically reactionary (given the massive cuts to police funding).

As most people now know, if someone is committing what an ordinary person considers a serious crime, e.g. vehicle theft or violent robbery, there is little or no police response because of low prioritisation. Instead, there is widespread publication of police "successes" by police PR companies operating on behalf of forces on Twitter and Facebook - showcasing one or two cases where they caught a serious criminal by accident, to the applause of the terrified stay-at-home NIMBY types - and very heavy enforcement of the easy-to-detect crimes that Joe Public doesn't consider serious or even crimes in the first place.

Getting to the point... 1) this recreational pursuit/way of life/obsession or whatever you want to call it is being rapidly phased out, 2) in today's world where nobody plays by the rules it's foolish and even dangerous to be the one always playing by the rules. Like doing 30 in a 30 zone on your bike with a trail of furious car drivers behind you, you have to make a judgment call.

For a lot of young people, riding unlawfully may turn out to be the easiest way for them to enjoy bikes before the fat lady finally sings and the curtain closes. That's just a plain and simple fact. Hopefully they'll stick to some kind of moral compass (e.g. 'don't steal from the common working man') and are able to discern these from arbitrary statutory diktats (e.g. 'don't smoke cannabis', 'don't derestrict your bike', etc.)

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:13 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I remember when, back in the 90s and early 2000s, "going byk lyf" was inconceivable for normal, upright, right-thinking individuals.

I don't even know what it means, or how you say it.

What does it mean, and how do you say it?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:37 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you say it?

#bikelife

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bikelife+uk

What does it mean? It means that their parents should have them aborted.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2