BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A2 licence and 47bhp limit associated with Brexit

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:55 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pronounced Baklaff if said in the correct Grimey style. Bruv.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:37 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

For a lot of young people, riding unlawfully may turn out to be the easiest way for them to enjoy bikes before the fat lady finally sings and the curtain closes. That's just a plain and simple fact. Hopefully they'll stick to some kind of moral compass (e.g. 'don't steal from the common working man') and are able to discern these from arbitrary statutory diktats (e.g. 'don't smoke cannabis', 'don't derestrict your bike', etc.)

Or they are just scum, and riding illegally is a minor crime compared to the rest of their lives.

It's a big deal for most of us, as a collection of mostly-legal bikers who would be up the creek if caught doing something that got us disqualified, uninsurable, or with a new criminal record. Not a big deal for a small time drug dealer/thief who carries a knife for protection.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Agreed, but I think everyone should be restricted for a year or two including those over 26.

My point is that its self regulating, New drivers will almost always buy a smaller bhp car as they are cheaper to insure and will take quite a lot longer than 2 years before they would buy a vehicle that can do 0-60 in under 4 secs. The amount of new drivers buying 200+ bhp cars is insignificant enough for it not to be an issue. You can be sure that if there ever was a problem, it would be dealt with.
Newly passed bikers can buy a restricted bike that can keep up with a Subaru, why would they need to keep up with a Bugatti?
I personally think that there should be an extra hard test with real cornering and handling skills for bikers that want to ride 100bhp + bikes. The current mod1 is ridiculously easy and the mod2 has no real competence at speed testing.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:38 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
MarJay wrote:
Agreed, but I think everyone should be restricted for a year or two including those over 26.

My point is that its self regulating, New drivers will almost always buy a smaller bhp car as they are cheaper to insure and will take quite a lot longer than 2 years before they would buy a vehicle that can do 0-60 in under 4 secs. The amount of new drivers buying 200+ bhp cars is insignificant enough for it not to be an issue. You can be sure that if there ever was a problem, it would be dealt with.
Newly passed bikers can buy a restricted bike that can keep up with a Subaru, why would they need to keep up with a Bugatti?
I personally think that there should be an extra hard test with real cornering and handling skills for bikers that want to ride 100bhp + bikes. The current mod1 is ridiculously easy and the mod2 has no real competence at speed testing.

Yep, agreed. The test teaches you how to ride to work in town, but doesn't teach you how to safely go scratching on A and B roads...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Yep, agreed. The test teaches you how to ride to work in town, but doesn't teach you how to safely go scratching on A and B roads...

It doesn't even really need to be a test, just a mandatory 5 day course taken on a dedicated track. Teaching people to ride at speed is much more important than teaching them how to ride at 20mph if those people are about to go out and buy an R1.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:46 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, but if people want to go out testing the capabilities of an R1, then they can pay for track school themselves.

No point in forcing your commuter on his 400 scooter to attend a 5 day course in fast road riding.

Tbh, the problem isnt really a lack of riding ability, it's confidence in excess of ability, and enhancing ability and providing a test certificate is only going to make that worse in the absence of real world experience

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 05:52 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a mandatory 5 day course taken on a dedicated track? Laughing

The DVSA and powers that be don't want to teach people to ride (or drive) at speed.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:20 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

- There are 60 million people in the UK.
- Over half of the UK population hold a full driving licence
- There are more cars, registered and taxed for the road, than there are people qualified to drive them all.
- Approximately only 1% of all vehicle miles on UK roads are completed by motorcycle.
- About half of all motorcycles in the UK are ridden on L-Plates.
- Approximately 5% of the population is gay!

Ie, BIKES, in total, are of inordinately little interest to the UK population as a whole, more than 5x the number are interested in 'Gay-Rights'. And A2 Licence regs? Of interest to oooh... well, lets see. Average life span in the UK is approximately 80 years. A2 is only of relevance, really to 19-24 year olds, 5-years, so 6% of all 'bikers', who are a tiny minority to start with!

Ie there are more folk effected by such issues as gay-marriage, and far more significantly in their existence, than whether they can have a motorbike, of ANY displacement or power, let alone an A2 licence. If they made it illegal to be homosexual in the UK again... folk would still be gay. If they banned all motorcycles from the public roads; folk would still be able to get to work by car or bus or train or what-not!

REALLY, motorcycling in the UK is a political non-entity! And has been for probably half a century! And we have survived as well as we have, pretty much because we just dont pop up on the radar too often! And when we have... its usually been in a negative way, such as the Mods'n'Rockers of the '60's or the helmetless hells-agels of the '70's, or the byke-laff loons of today.....

A-N-D, extrapolate the issue out of the folk that it directly effects; that mere parts-per-million fraction of a fraction in the 19-24 age group..... How many are going to vote one way of the other, because one political party has the suggestion it might lift the A2 power limit, or re-introduce the auto-upgrade after two-years of the old 33bhp power probation, or make any other significant change to the regs?

Polls suggest that most under 25's dont bleedin vote ANYWAY! And even if they all did, and their older mates or parents did.... how many might vote for the party that offers them an easier, less restrictive motorbike licence compared to the one who say, offers to reduce student loan burdens or raise NMW levels, or legalise cannabis! This is NOT really a key issue! It will NOT swing an election one way or another.

SO! If its not a manifesto issue? Where might it get promoted? And the answer is in image-politics where one party might use it as a hobby-horse to say they did 'something' that might make them seem, well, effective would be a start, I suppose? Sympathetic maybe? Yeah, well, even there, its of such lowly interest to the general population its NOT really a topic that is likely to win any politicians much favour, with very many people..... a-n-d... politicians are just that; and few are likely to want to pin thier colours to ANY motor-vehicle associated topic when motor-vehicles in general are such an unfashionable topic, anyway!

The tiered licence system, is a political camel to start with; with very little relevance to the aims it was suggested it was intended to tackle. Its not really tiered for starters! Its the same damn test for each suggested licence group! The only difference between them is how old you have to be to do the tests!!! There's eff all in them to ensure that supposedly 'higher' licence holders are in any way better trained or better qualified or more experienced than 'lower' ones!

It was, essentially an AWFUL lot of Machiavellian political 'expedience' that contrived the system as it stands; and significantly, dangle the 'carrot' of less punitive restriction to larger displacement motorcycles, in countries such as France and Italy, in exchange for adopting the more punitive restriction of the light-weight licences that in many durastictions lifted age eligibilities and imposed tests!

Post Brexit? Yes, we could re-make laws more 'sensibly', and potentially do away with the camel for all Europe we were lumbered with, and either make a genuinely 'stepped and progressive' system, NOT based on arbitrary age limits but actual rider ability, or simply abolish the draconian impediments.... BUT... we are talking politicians.... and when has 'common sense' ever applied to political policy?

IF we chucked the whole plot away, and contrived a completely new motorbike or even entire motor-vehicle licencing system... would we likely end up with anything an awful lot better for any-one than what we got now? Give the quango's yet another crack at the cherry, history would suggest its just another opportunity for foul-up! and so often better the devil you know! At least we can manage THIS lot of Westminster cods... who knows how big a hash they would make of it given another shot!

AND STILL, with such a small % of road miles being by motorbike....... more people would be effected by gay-partner pensions, than changes to the A2 licence laws.... and there would be far more folk prepared to get off the fence and fight the debate one way or t'other, and far more political mileage to be made from getting on that band-wagon than there EVER will be, in revisions to the A2 Motorcycle Licence laws!

Which is a rather cynical view of politics in general, I'm afraid, but, I'm very much a (Groucho!) Marxist, and with Mark Twain on this one! IF elections (and by inference politicians!) Made a difference... we wouldn't have them!

IMO, chuck the whole lot out the window and start again.... trouble is, the Thames is already rather pouted, and sharks, I am told, wont eat their own kind! Laughing But, that IS sort of where you get to, if you start unpeeling the onion, trying to see how it might be better chopped!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the tl;dr?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikes are small beer compared to entropy and the eventual heat death of the universe

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:56 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
What's the tl;dr?

There are more than five times as many people in the UK who're in to gay rights as there are motorcyclists.

So what that means is A2 license holders are a minority who shouldn't have to settle for being treated as second class motorcyclists.

LGBTQA2 has a nice ring to it. Wub

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
nice ring

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/kenneth-williams-gif-3.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Yep, but if people want to go out testing the capabilities of an R1, then they can pay for track school themselves.

No point in forcing your commuter on his 400 scooter to attend a 5 day course in fast road riding.

Tbh, the problem isnt really a lack of riding ability, it's confidence in excess of ability, and enhancing ability and providing a test certificate is only going to make that worse in the absence of real world experience

I said that there should be a mandatory course/test for people wanting 100BHP+ bikes I agree the current system is fine for commuters and casual biker/cruiser types.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
What's the tl;dr?

Tef is considering ditching bikes and turning gay to become more popular.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:53 - 08 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two pages of piffle, when the OP knew the right answer from the start. UK law won't really deviate from EU laws or policy on anything anytime soon.

Assuming we do have a clean break and a fully independent one from Europe, then it's only a possibility that way into the next government that existing laws will be put forward for changes or new very different laws put forward and passed on almost anything except stuff like minimum sentencing for knife crime.

TL:Dr Changing laws is very expensive and time consuming, and there's far more pressing UK issues in the foreseeable than changing a few laws to suit us better or make life easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2