BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dog food advice.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too but I'm best man at my mates wedding in Thailand so had to find a workaround. So my Wifes aunt is mindng the house and the dog. Back to Cornwall or Wales come the summer.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Me too but I'm best man at my mates wedding in Thailand so had to find a workaround. So my Wifes aunt is mindng the house and the dog. Back to Cornwall or Wales come the summer.

Haven't had to leave them for any length of time yet. Not looking forwards to it when the time comes!

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:24 - 04 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAW FOOD absolutely. (Nutriment)
We have a stuffy/patterdale , and used to feed that dreadful Bakers stuff.
The change in the food to the raw stuff which comes in black takeaway style tubs, frozen so you take a tub out when you need it, let it thaw out and feed him, as he’s a small breed has 1/3 of a tub with a (non cereal) biscuit base to keep teeth clean.
His coat remains shiny and even,has huge energy, and has not had any ailments in the last 5 years.

The dog food that comes in bags ie bakers etc has a large cereal content even that wellbeloved stuff.
The size of the dogs crap is indicative as to the food the dog is eating. The larger the crap (comparative to dog breed) the worse the food.
Raw food produces very little crap on the lawn!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:10 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a point worth mentioning, that some breeds of dogs wouldnt benefit from high energy foods. The food I use specifically mentions it provides moderate energy. I`d hate to see what high energy food would be like. Fuck that.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Its a point worth mentioning, that some breeds of dogs wouldnt benefit from high energy foods. The food I use specifically mentions it provides moderate energy. I`d hate to see what high energy food would be like. Fuck that.

And this is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
What people feed their own dogs isn't what I'm after here really, I'm looking for examples of people changing a dogs behaviour, specifically calming them down a bit.
Anyway, we've got a couple of bags of Wellbeloved Junior to try.
It seems to be a decent balance of quality and price, I'd love to be able to shell out £40 a bag but that's not really an option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:13 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a lab and a pug, both have been fed raw from birth, chicken quarters/thighs/legs, odd butches mix of tripe/lamb/bones/chicken/heart/liver, both are feed outside in all conditions, Lab is on around 1kg and the pug 250g per day.

Lab is 8 years old, pug is 2, both are fit with no health issues, both are slim for their breeds, pug is still crazy, lab is chilled. One of the best things is they shit less and the shit turns hard and white.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do post a pic, I haven't seen a white dog shit since I was a lad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:39 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Do post a pic, I haven't seen a white dog shit since I was a lad.

Laughing The problem I have is the Pugs shit blends in with the gravel, I'm now in the process of laying some cheap fake grass so I can see the shit.

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:30 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for raw food - I've been feeding this way for almost 20 years and can't see myself ever going back to the dried pelleted stuff.

Years ago there were no dedicated raw suppliers and I got hearts, lamb flanks and so on from the abattoir. Now there are so many companies offering complete raw meals that it's just as easy as feeding the dry or canned stuff. I'm currently raising a pup on raw (the second one that I've done this with, my previous dogs started as adults) he's from a raw-feeding breeder so has never had anything different. He appears to be a healthy wee chap... Smile

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog, (not my avatar sadly he is long gone), food consists of Lidl dried and Lidl cans.

He is the typical lazy lab, who sleeps on the sofa or in front of the fire and barely lifts his head when someone comes in the house.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Bakers is a No No then? I did wonder why he liked it so much.

Jack Russell with LOADS of energy.

Hoolie-gan
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:57 - 08 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bakers is probably one of the 'worst' foods - if you define the foods by the quality of ingredients and just how nutritious and appropriate those ingredients are to the dog, rather than by ease of use and cost to the human...

This website gives some handy information about various foods and what is in them: https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

You can filter results by brand, rating, cost and so on. Some absolute shockers in the lower ranks, some of the ingredients are totally inappropriate and only there as a filler and to keep costs down.

scorps
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a grain free and butchers tripe mix, im away to try a dried tripe food but the supplier up here is in Arbroath so a bit of a trek.
My latest rescue basset tried some concrete which was sharp and it cost me just under 900 quid to sort the little shit out.

Simple
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 27 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am a canine behaviourist and trainer for a job.

Diet and gut health are acute to your dog's behaviour and well being.

Try Eden, suits some, about the best kibble you can get.

My mutts are fed raw, AATU fish or good quality wet foods. The dogs I take in are fed whatever is donated, usually Arden grange, Harringtons and Royal Canin. The difference are huge. Currently nearly 20 dogs on site at the moment. Some are great on cheap crap, some need cheap crap, some require close monitoring and some only get the best as they are breeding stock.

I know alot of people who feed very expensive dog food and their dogs still eat cat shit, so vest to look at the whole picture. Hyperactivity can be a disguise of discomfort and pain also. The dog with the worst body here is the most hyper....

Hope that helps
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 285 days between these two posts...
BettyMiller This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:24 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BettyMiller wrote:
I use natural food, but I also use special dog food, and everything is fine.

Personally, I don't eat dog food because it tastes like.... dog food.

Have some shite karma to go with your shite food.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

BettyMiller wrote:
I use natural food, but I also use special dog food, and everything is fine. Dogs should eat well and simply:)

What bike do you ride?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
BettyMiller wrote:
I use natural food, but I also use special dog food, and everything is fine. Dogs should eat well and simply:)

What bike do you ride?

Perhaps she is the bike Thinking

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
recman wrote:
What bike do you ride?

See, you're assuming just because the name's Betty, it's a 'she'... THIS IS 2021, YOU KNOW

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 07 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

See, you're assuming just because the name's Betty, it's a 'she'... THIS IS 2021, YOU KNOW

Sorry, the Neanderthal in me dodged passed the PC brain cell police and waltzed out of my mouth.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 08 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll call her Betty.
She can call me Al.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 80 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2