Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

As we seem to be talking domestic appliances - Vacuums?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: As we seem to be talking domestic appliances - Vacuums? Reply with quote

Cordless to be precise.

There's Dyson and Shark that are pretty expensive and then there's a range of choice at about £100. Are the big names worth the extra £100+

What is the pussy whipped males choice of vacuum Wink

I actually need one for the boat as the 'dust buster' type I have there is an utter pile of pants.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:56 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kirby wouldn't be suitable for your boat, but are absolute weapons for the house.

Shark are pretty cheaply made but look decent, Dyson are a little hyped but work...

Basically, test them by throwing a box of oats and half a bag of flour on the floor. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gtech multi I have is decent enough when used with the spinning brush head attachment but the suction isn't as strong as I'd hoped it would be with no attachment.
Its been good for the car carpets and the stairs though, certainly better than the dust buster style suckers.
Comes in very handy when I've just shaved the bonce.
I bought mine used on shpock and just replaced the manky old filter.

I've also heard from a friend that Shark are the tits.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ijmok
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:10 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’ve got a Dyson V6,

Bought it direct from the outlet (refurbished outlet)

That saved a fair few quid and it was immaculate, all the tools etc were brand new, even managed to get a replacement power head shipped when ours failed (1 year vs 5 year warranty on new)

If I’ve one note (not a criticism per say) its brilliant around the house and deals with dog hair etc well but its terrible with brick dust and building rubbish, even a few drillings from popping in a wall plug or two seem to clog it and it requires a fairly extensive strip and rebuild to come back to life.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ijmok wrote:
We’ve got a Dyson V6,

Bought it direct from the outlet (refurbished outlet).

This, do this. They have an outlet shop on Ebay and I've nothing but good stuff to say.

Though I disagree with them being naff for non-household. We've had a small fleet of Dyson V6's around our engineering and AV workshops for as long as I've worked here.

Eventually the triggers or batteries die, but we've still got one or two that are getting on for 7 years old now, still vacuuming up machining swarf and sawdust or cleaning out PCs on a regular basis. Sawdust does clog the filters a bit, but we rarely clean them properly and they keep doing their thing.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: As we seem to be talking domestic appliances - Vacuums? Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Cordless to be precise

Wot no genny on your boat?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:35 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ijmok wrote:
We’ve got a Dyson V6,

Bought it direct from the outlet (refurbished outlet)

Same here, it has 'normal' mode which doesn't suck very much but lasts a respectable time and the turbo mode sucks stuff up well but only gets about ten minutes - probably enough for a boat.
They are prone to partial blockages due to the compact design but once you realise why it's doing odd stuff like pulsing it's easy to poke out.

Without the long tube thing it's good for cars or pokey places like cupboards.

Ideally you would have a second battery on charge but it's not swappable so when it goes flat you are stuffed for a couple of hours, just getting used to it really
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:54 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: As we seem to be talking domestic appliances - Vacuums? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Cordless to be precise

Wot no genny on your boat?

There's 240v ring main via an inverter but that maxes out at 1600w. It's fine for recharging a vacuum but a plugged in one would be at the top end of the output.

TBH I can't be bothered with running cables nowadays. I don't think I've used my mains drill in years.

It's only battery cars I dislike Whistle Laughing

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having had a G-tech, Vax and now a shark....

Vax all the way.
Better battery life, better suction.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Vax all the way.

This one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-TBT3V1B1-Cordless-Vacuum-Cleaner/dp/B01N1A1QUD?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 05 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
iooi wrote:

Vax all the way.

This one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-TBT3V1B1-Cordless-Vacuum-Cleaner/dp/B01N1A1QUD?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_3

That the new version. Ours was about 3 years old.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Black and Decker one, I think.
I got it from Argos to put in the back of the minicab, and on the few occasions I used it, it was shite.
It was so shite that I don't even know (or care) where it is any more.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:06 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I got it from Argos to put in the back of the minicab, and on the few occasions I used it, it was shite.

So, what you are saying is that your vacuum really sucked?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:

I have the equivalent of that on the boat. It's actually a wet and dry, allegedly, as it doesn't pick up water from lino, spilt pot noodles from carpet tiles. Evil or Very Mad

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
ijmok wrote:
We’ve got a Dyson V6,

Bought it direct from the outlet (refurbished outlet).

This, do this. They have an outlet shop on Ebay and I've nothing but good stuff to say.

Though I disagree with them being naff for non-household. We've had a small fleet of Dyson V6's around our engineering and AV workshops for as long as I've worked here.

Eventually the triggers or batteries die, but we've still got one or two that are getting on for 7 years old now, still vacuuming up machining swarf and sawdust or cleaning out PCs on a regular basis. Sawdust does clog the filters a bit, but we rarely clean them properly and they keep doing their thing.

I don't know what the situation is like nowadays but I found that Dyson made spare parts easily available and they were easy to work on, so when stuff broke you could get replacement parts and fix it. Which is always a plus point for a bloke who hates throwing shit away because the manufacturer hasn't made x part available...
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Dyson, we've had our v6 for about 3 years, hasn't skipped a beat.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can build your own Dyson from spare parts then just use a hose from any old vacuum . I priced £70 out of parts for a £200 one of those rechgargeble ones

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:02 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need one that does pet hair. My Hoover pet one has just died.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 08 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of Dyson. The man is obsessed though, and sure its made him £azillions but can you imagine what he's like at home. "oh god Dads on about his f£kin hoovers again", "ITS NOT A HOOVER ITS A ME!!!! ME I TELL YOU....DYSON!!!!!" Laughing

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:54 - 09 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two long-haired cats and two cordless vacuums: a Bosch (Athlet of some kind) and a Shark ( IF200UKT).

If we had to pick between the two, we'd take the Shark. It's better at going under things - more flexible head - and the suction unit detaches (looks a bit like a sci-fi weapon) and can become a floating handheld for precise application.

Bosch might make a version closer to our Shark, but we like the Shark for sucking the pet hairs out of the carpet.

Neither is enough battery-wise for the whole house - a 120 sq m townhouse with three floors, we keep one on the top floor, another on the ground floor.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 43 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1