English Ignorant

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
So they you can try a sad attempt to pretend to be clever, by putting initials after their forum name?

Sorry, do you need English lessons too?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:49 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
These days because you can edit, it really is as simple as writing down everything you think, and going back to edit later.

Even in English exams (and mine were in the 1970s, I always aced English) you could scribble down ideas and then put them down tidily in the right order on the exam paper.

You can even do it reasonably well whilst wankered off your tits. ^cold hard evidence in post above^

Laughing Laughing

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 26 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Kawakid, we didn't do Simon's dad's drive together years ago, did we? Its a long shot but given your name and location it is just possible.

Could have done, I work in IT and have done since the early 90s, I'm shxt with names though.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 29 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Read lots of books. You'll pick it up.

I always maintained (and still do) that English as a subject is an exercise in applied bullshit with a heavy dash of elitist snobbery.

I got 95% overall in my English Higher. I spent most of the year being thrown out of the class for being disruptive and did the literature exam on a set text I hadn't read.

I can thank the study of English for totally removing any enjoyment I may once have derived from a) Poetry (all of it) and b) the plays of shakespere.

There is nothing quite like being forced to analyse something line-by line to create a loathing of it.

It's like trying to make you enjoy riding a bike by making you sit down and calculate the compression ratio and exhaust compression wave dynamics. Yes, there is perhaps something to be learned about a bike by doing so but it does nothing for your appreciation of riding it.

I light my fire using pages torn out of second hand copies of novels by 19th century female authors (I'd use copies of the collected works of Phillip Larkin - now there was a grade A tosser if ever one existed- but you don't see them very often).

There is so much snobbery on the part of the "literati" I'm surprised they don't disappear up their own arses. "Oh, you're reading FANTASY? Why don't you try a proper book. Then hand you some piece of dreary nonsense where nothing at all happens other than the author self fornicating about how well their iambic rythm flowed.

The head of my school English department once told me that plot was the least necessary ingredient of a novel... Like there is ANY other reason for a novel to exist other than to tell a story to the reader. No plot, no-point. Not that a book with an amazing plot can't be really badly written to the point I put it down but the best written fiction in the world where nothing happens is just pointless.

I do not understand to this day why English is considered a "core" subject. The way it's taught, it gives little to no understanding of communication and structure and a whole boatload of extraneous bullshit that does nothing to further your understanding of other people or your ability to communicate with them. I swear it's been made mandatory so all the Eton-Cambridge-civil service set can feel their english and social sciences MA is actually worth something. If it was taught like foreign languages are taught, there might be some point to it. But even then.Who the hell are they to say the way I speak and write English is wrong. It's MY language.

Anyway. Good luck in studying your pointless subject. My advice is to read books. Read lots of them. If you want to get good at writing. Sit down and write. If you find you are not enjoying it, put it down and try another one. It's how you get good at English in the same way that you get good at riding motorbikes by riding motorbikes, not by measuring valve clearances.

Ooh.I got a bit ranty there eh?

Thanks for your insight mate.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:08 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

English has 12 tenses and a lack of cases and voices: it fills in with prepositions, sentence clauses and vocal tone to make up for this. The only differences between a native English speaker and an educated foreigner are an awareness of idioms and an ability to understand different accents.

The Promethean way: don't study English at all, but learn a classical language. By the time you can construct a sentence in any tense, you will know many times more about the structure of language, and grammar, than 99% of native English speakers.

If you wanted to study Druzism, would you consult a villager on a mountain hillside in the near East, or would you go to the Bodleian, EPHE, Heidelberg, etc.?

Pay no heed to creatively frustrated engineer types or to humanities snobs - they're cut from the same cloth. Take what you want from the salad bar...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
English has 12 tenses and a lack of cases and voices: it fills in with prepositions, sentence clauses and vocal tone to make up for this. The only differences between a native English speaker and an educated foreigner are an awareness of idioms and an ability to understand different accents.

The Promethean way: don't study English at all, but learn a classical language. By the time you can construct a sentence in any tense, you will know many times more about the structure of language, and grammar, than 99% of native English speakers.

If you wanted to study Druzism, would you consult a villager on a mountain hillside in the near East, or would you go to the Bodleian, EPHE, Heidelberg, etc.?

Pay no heed to creatively frustrated engineer types or to humanities snobs - they're cut from the same cloth. Take what you want from the salad bar...

Care to translate that into English? Smile

My advice: shout louder.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:51 - 30 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we don't have sexes for our words, unlike the French (2) or the Germans (3)....

inb4 bikes, ships, etc.... being called 'She'
Sexist pigs Surprised
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2