Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

To buy or not to buy - Honda CG125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

enj1996
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: To buy or not to buy - Honda CG125 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Recently decided to get back on a 125cc as the cost of public transport in London is pissing me off. Decided that the best bike in my price range is a Honda CG125 - I understand its cheaper than the CBF or the equally reliable Yamaha YBR125 but I would like to know whether that price gap is justified? Is there better reliability with the pricier bikes or is the CG125 an overlooked gem in the 125cc range?
Of course, other recommendations are welcomed - I am 23 in a few weeks and live in near enough the centre of London and the CG125 consistently comes in at around £650 for TPFT Insurance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:24 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how much the CG will cost you and (i'm sure its ok but...) does it conform to the London low emissions shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

enj1996
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Depends how much the CG will cost you and (i'm sure its ok but...) does it conform to the London low emissions shit.

Not sure any motorbike is affected by the ULEZ but will double check! The CG's I'm seeing, especially on Facebook Marketplace, can be anywhere between £400-1000. Ones in good nick tend to go for about £6-700.

enj1996
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Ha! A 2004 example of the CG125 is subject to the ULEZ charge! I get residents discount I believe but that's a proper piss take.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll save you double checking - needs to be newer than 2007 to be ULEZ compliant.

Technically speaking it's to do with the Euro emissions rating of the vehicle, but for all intents and purposes you can consider it 2007 reg.

Edit: pfft, double checked quicker than I typed, shouldn't have bothered Laughing

enj1996
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I'll save you double checking - needs to be newer than 2007 to be ULEZ compliant.

Technically speaking it's to do with the Euro emissions rating of the vehicle, but for all intents and purposes you can consider it 2007 reg.

Edit: pfft, double checked quicker than I typed, shouldn't have bothered Laughing

Still helpful regardless mate, now I know I can't buy an older example of the CG125, so much appreciated

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A classic example of a newbie over thinking and over analysing without any road experience and knowledge of the subject.

Just buy the first good condition naked simple four stroke 125 in your budget, and take someone with you who knows what a good condition bike looks like if you don't that is?

There ain't a best make or model, and in that London you'll struggle to hold onto anything remotely nice.

Yeah you'll get a decent CG for 700 quid or thereabouts, but they are too old for ULEZ. You can get other similar Japanese bikes within your budget and also a good pick of nearly new Chinese bikes that may also do the job just as well.

Someone else will be along soon to speLL it out for you, but remember your in London and supply and demand of decent used bikes and scooters is against you. Might be worth travelling 50miles+ out of the capital to pick up a good bike that's not sold before you can turn up with the cash.

enj1996
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
A classic example of a newbie over thinking and over analysing without any road experience and knowledge of the subject.

Just buy the first good condition naked simple four stroke 125 in your budget, and take someone with you who knows what a good condition bike looks like if you don't that is?

There ain't a best make or model, and in that London you'll struggle to hold onto anything remotely nice.

Yeah you'll get a decent CG for 700 quid or thereabouts, but they are too old for ULEZ. You can get other similar Japanese bikes within your budget and also a good pick of nearly new Chinese bikes that may also do the job just as well.

Someone else will be along soon to speLL it out for you, but remember your in London and supply and demand of decent used bikes and scooters is against you. Might be worth travelling 50miles+ out of the capital to pick up a good bike that's not sold before you can turn up with the cash.

The advice was purely based off of other 125 riders I know of and warned me off of buying a Sinnis or a Lexmoto. I've been searching beyond the M25 and found a fair few good deals there, but nothing concrete - CBF125s tend to increase my premium.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 06 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a CG125. It's an awesome bike with lots of character, but it belongs to yesteryear. This is primarily because, as others have pointed out, it's been retired well before its time thanks to ULEZ and the other impending anti-ICE legislation. But its reliability is equivalent to the YBR125, and its build quality generally better.

Its strong points: it's a very reliable and strong bike, and it's a lot of fun to ride around town. It's also extremely economical on fuel, oil, chains, tyres, tax, etc. Makes turning a corner in 30 zone feel unduly satisfying. Not really desirable by thieves (yet).

Weak points: has been drummed out of (your) town by ULEZ, and will be drummed out by other major towns too, in due course. Underpowered even for a 125 - lucky to maintain 50mph on a slight incline. Feels dangerously light on A-roads. Thin wheels feel jittery on potholes and even on road markings and manhole covers. Light enough to be picked up and hauled off into a van by anyone of reasonable physical strength.

Nowadays, I would recommend a CG125 only to someone who lives out in the country, perhaps has a farm or a few acres, and wants to chop it down and stick knobblies on it. It would look cool and be a lot of fun as an off-road bike if you were in the business, say, of herding livestock. As a commuting bike it's had its day.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use mine to commute, including a short sections of 70mph dual carriageway. Mine does 60mph on the flat, GPS indicated. That reduces to 50 with a steep hill or stiff headwind, lowest I've ever seen was 45.. I don't think it feels dangerously light on a roads, it does move around a bit but it's not disconcerting and thet adds to the fun and makes it easy to manage. I certainly don't think it rides any worse than my mates cbf125 and its built significantly better. Mine is looked after though with fairly fresh bearings everywhere, etc. I often take CG over the 800 if I'm mostly in town as it can be a blast to Wang around on due to the light weight.

They have their limits and many of those for sale will be a bit shagged but they're no worse than other similar 125s in terms of riding, otherwise I'd have sold mine 5 years ago when I got a big bike.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:04 - 07 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah honestly if you could find one of the final year builds, I would take one over a CBF just in terms of build quality.

Really though, they are much of a muchness, having ridden them all, there is not much discernible difference between the CG/CBF/YBR.
CG125ES-7 Nut Buster This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:53 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any jap 4 stroke 125 will suit you well.
Pick one that's in the best condition.

The only real issue with the CBF or the ybr is they rust faster. Other then that they are pretty much the same just a bit quicker.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:26 - 27 Aug 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my test on one back in the dim and distant past. It was a hateful little thing and probably the slowest bike I've ridden apart from my dt 50.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1