Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clearing through old drawers..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Clearing through old drawers.. Reply with quote

I knew I had some older bike pics somewhere. Forgive the quality of them - probably taken on one of those 'disc' cameras back in the day. Remember those? A circular magazine of film shaped as a disc and crap!

Anyway, I've lost count of the bikes I've had in the past. I started with an SS50 when I was 10. It was a shared field bike. A mate and myself bought it for £12. Sadly no images but it did teach me a lot. It also created a hunger..

This thread won't have hundreds of photos because I don't have many! Instead I'll show some memorable bikes and some tat. Might have been tatty but like Bagpuss they were loveable..

OK first bike pic. I only have one of this thing - a Honda Cub 70. Bought for £45 as an MOT failure, owned for 4 or so years and sold on for £40.
One of the most reliable things man has ever made. In that time I replaced a few bulbs and one main bearing. I did the bearing in my kitchen after work on an evening.
These bikes might be slow, they might scare you with that front brake mechanism but damn what a fun machine they are.
I was stopped weekly by police because they thought they had me with this - field bikes looked to be in better condition. Mine was perfect. Everything worked and well. The extra paint was from jobs with spare paint - I'd literally dump it on this bike to stop rust.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4888/45871363885_5e853bbeaf_b.jpgGrandad! by Craig David, on Flickr

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah the memories Smile
The next bike to show is my old Yamaha YB100. A 2-stroke engine with rotary valve and 4 gears. This was basically a Fizzy but bigger.
I tuned this to fuck. The exhaust is a Micron from I think a Yamaha RD250 - it came from a local breakers. The ports, everything inside the engine was upgraded and silly. For some reason this thing never blew up. I'm serious - I think the relatively low state of tune as standard helped massively with reliability?
I actually passed my test on this - straight to unlimited Smile
Another bike I miss terribly. I just wish they'd remake some of this older stuff - they really were fun bikes.
Apologies for image quality. Cameras back then could be shit.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4915/31844799427_a1abc20cb0_b.jpgYamaha YB100 by Craig David, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4803/32910809918_1ac28db94e_b.jpgYamaha by Craig David, on Flickr

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So from the YB100 I went to a Yamaha YPVS 350LC. The bike came from a dealership - Ian Bell @ Bedlington. That bloke was awesome. A real miss - in all the years he was great to me. Always a help and always fair.
Anyway the bike. I think I had it almost 2 years. It was fun, good fun. The type of fun that's a revelation compared to air cooled 100cc fun.
Towards the end of my ownership the bike became unreliable. My fault I suppose - I'd race anything. In the end I sold it back to Ian Bell for £100 short of what I'd paid for it. Never did ask why he wanted it - probably as a track bike?
Those are Allspeed pipes - it came with the standard pipes too.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4858/45871558055_75aed075ef_b.jpgYamaha YPVS 350 LC by Craig David, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4835/46786724761_15b9ae0c4a_b.jpgYamaha YPVS 350 LC by Craig David, on Flickr

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the last of my old images. Life was strange back then and film expensive - kids have it easy these days..
This was.. a Suzuki T250. Some parts were swapped over from other Suzuki bikes. I think the front wheel is Suzuki GT250? Forks might be too??
This was purchased because I saw it for sale! Yup an impulse buy. It came from Cramlington (Northumberland). I had it a year or so and got bored - literally sold it to tax and MOT my car!! Some blokes came and took it away in the back of an estate car - the bike was pouring oil everywhere the daft cnuts..
The bike? Ultra-reliable. It sounded and smelt fantastic. The bike was soft and comfy to ride though it was rather slow. I don't think it ever went over 75 mph with me. It only ever broke down once - on Central Motorway, Newcastle. It just stopped working. The basic design allowed me to see the problem immediately - a blown fuse. Wires were twisted or foil added and on my way I went.
I can't remember but those might be Metzeler tyres too. The old ones were rubbish and hard.
Lots of chrome, 'heavy' components, soft seat and suspension and rather nice to ride. It got a lot of attention from other bikers.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4836/46061640044_59124c1658_b.jpgSuzuki T250 by Craig David, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4812/39821299463_aa26fe11ab_b.jpgSuzuki T250 by Craig David, on Flickr

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7860/46061653574_cd9aecd134_b.jpgSuzuki T250 by Craig David, on Flickr

Hopefully those few older pics awake some memories for people. I've had shed loads of bikes in my younger years and remember the fun they were.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Hopefully those few older pics awake some memories for people.

For sure! Nice to see.
What prompted the change from the YPVS to the T250, out of interest? Never rode either but IIRC the YPVS was a great bike?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a bit of nostalgia, especially if it's from my own years of youth Smile

Steering damper and fork brace on a YPVS350. Sticking plaster on a gunshot wound? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no real order in my life!
Nah I had the YPVS but also cars. I also kinda settled down with family and the bike went in favour of a car.
Cars are boring for me though and some sort of desire set in. I had a real craving for an X7 but funds wouldn't stretch. Yeah I know nothing like each other!

Bikes for me were always bought by chance - except for the YPVS. With that I wanted to be a hooligan.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I love a bit of nostalgia, especially if it's from my own years of youth Smile

Steering damper and fork brace on a YPVS350. Sticking plaster on a gunshot wound? Laughing

Well spotted!
The bike also had a hidden on/off switch buried beneath the tank - just in case.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

The bike also had a hidden on/off switch buried beneath the tank - just in case.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have said they needed anything so drastic. But on my brother's bored-out RD350LC it might have come in handy when I wheelied it over the top with him on the back, because the throttle stuck open Laughing

He'd even warned me that this happened occasionally. But still we both rode it before he fixed the problem, and still I gave it the beans off the lights Doh!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah this was more a theft thing if I nipped into a shop. Mind you, they'd have lifted it into a van anyway..

My first ride on an ordinary 350 LC saw me hit the power band on a slight bend and the bike basically launch itself onto the path. I was 14 and 'borrowing it' *. That taught me to respect the things too.

* Borrowing a mates bike when under age - we'd memorise their personal details etc so if stopped would simply bag a producer. The bike owner would then show the paperwork at a later date.
I know - naughty.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked the T250 - tax due on 1st June 1991!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 18 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

I know - naughty.

Me, I never did anything naughty like that Shifty

Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1