Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I made a huge mistake. I want my R6 back. Advice?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 23:38 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: I made a huge mistake. I want my R6 back. Advice? Reply with quote

I think I made a huge mistake buying the S1000RR.

The power is undeniably fun, but the gimmicky fun I got from the electronics has _completely_ worn off.

Sure the power is unmatched, but the power wheelies don't hide the pain of missing my R6.

Very quickly I have regretted buying this bike. I really want my R6 back.

The problem is I've gone and locked myself in a 2 year finance deal after feeling absolutely certain that this is what I wanted.

I even loved how the S1000RR felt in the beginning, and thought that it would be an absolute upgrade to the R6 in every way and I "couldn't possibly miss a 600 after this". Now I am kicking myself completely.

Do I need to pay this bike off before I sell it, or is it a legit thing to do selling it and then using the money to pay off the finance & buy an R6 back?

I don't want it anymore.

I would have enough money after selling the S1000RR and paying off the finance to buy an R6 back, but can't keep two bikes while paying off the finance of the other until I can sell it (if this makes sense). It would be the exact same year and colour. I want my old bike back and I'd make it EXACTLY how it used to be.

I'm actually going insane over this, it's REALLY fucking with me, and I'm starting to not like biking at all. I am not excited over the S1000RR anymore. I really fucking miss my R6 and I need one back in my life.

This has gone from nagging to obsessive thought pattern and it started as a bit of doubt but has become a crisis level obsession.

I looked on ebay for one once, then once a month, then every week, now every day. I'm still in the R6 groups I used to be in and see them every day.

I'm angry at myself and on the verge of a meltdown over this shit. What to do?

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:57 - 12 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a ride on an R6 (demo?) and make sure it's everything you remember. I had a ride on one and found it pretty gutless under about 7k revs. Can't imagine any 600 outshining a thou, myself but you obviously feel strongly. So, make sure and if you definitely decide to get rid - so be it. Big cash hit I'm afraid - I've been there! Hope you get your self sorted - bikes can be shit!....but worth it!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is a shame, or more so getting yourself stuck into a finance deal on a new bike your not enjoying is.

First thing, it could prove difficult to sell the S1000RR privately to someone whilst you have unsettled finance on it. You'd have to convince someone that you'd settle the finance immediately, and you might not be able to sell it while it belongs to the finance company.

Secondly it's still a cold, wet slimey spring out there, and a new litre bike with loads of electronics might be a better daily A-B rider in these conditions than a peaky egging you on track happy 600?

Thirdly, having ridden the BMW for a while, I'd want to try a test ride on the 600 or other similar bike before buying. Your used to comparatively lazy easy 1000cc power delivery and midrange. You need to know you won't find the 600 underwhelming before you go full circle and spend yourself into another hole?

Thing is if you test rode say an R6 on a hot summers day on a quiet twisty road, and on sticky tyres you might love it and want to go back to a more demanding involving peaky bike. But try one on a commute on a wet cold greasy day or when your not in Sunday sunny thrash mode then you might find it hard work, and miserable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:25 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Financial prudence as well as personal taste and preferences should guide your decisions. I checked, and new 2019 R6s are about £12K. 2008 ones go for about £3K. You will always be able to get another. Don't get another bike on finance, whatever it is. Just finish off the payments on your BMW and think about your next step when you get there.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to write something in this thread but am struggling. Get your R6 back, I regretted selling mine.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:51 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
...It's still a cold, wet slimey spring out there...

This.

Ride the RR and an R6 back to back, preferably on a nice and average day. If you still want the R6? Get one.
A private sale may be an issue, unless someone who knows you is prepared to work with you. A Dealer will sort it, but undoubtedly it'll cost you more.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:39 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why the most powerful bike I have is 115bhp.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 10:41 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I do need to test ride an R6 again before I make my mind up, it has been four months and the power on the S1000RR is way different. I don't actually know how I'd feel about going back to less power with the R6, but it would be nice to feel that familiar feeling again and have "my" bike back.

I just remember feeling very "at home" on the R6 and like I was fully in control. I could fully feel all the little details, and could take that bike apart and put it back together again.

There was so much familiarity and I felt like I was well on my way to mastering the R6. I felt very fast and extremely confident on it. The R6 used to be my dream bike as well, and I still think it looks better than the S1000RR.

I have a feeling I only got the S1000RR because my R6's steering lock was damaged and that pissed me off so much that I "got rid of it" to upgrade to a bigger bike that would help me forget my old bike because moar power and loads of electronics gimmicks.

I don't feel like I have anything in common with this bike like I did with the R6. There were a couple days where it got up to 20 degrees and bone dry out on the roads, so I did "go nuts" on those days and push limits in some country lanes.

I felt slower, more nervous, and the bike felt clumsy at a more intense pace and at that level of pushing it. I didn't feel like I could trust where it would "go" or what it'd do at lower lean angles.

Getting my knee down in places I was extremely familiar with felt difficult on the S1000RR, and in some places impossible and I couldn't understand why I was essentially riding slower on a "better" bike.

The electronic suspension baffles me, I have no clue what it's doing half the time and it feels "floaty" and like I have no clue where the front end is mid corner. I feel like I need a much wider entry on corners for some reason too. The R6 used to track corners and hug them more tightly. I felt like I had room on the R6 but no room on the S1000RR (I don't know if this makes any sense).

I've come to realise the only reason the electronic stuff on the S1000RR kicks in is because it has stupid amounts of torque that I don't need, and it only really happens in the wet going over manhole covers.

The ABS is the only thing I'd want to keep but even then, I feel like my ability to brake hard has been somewhat unlearned because this bike feels numb and if you want to brake hard you just have to mash the brake and then the suspension goes all funny and wobbly for a second and then you stop.

On the R6 I just about knew where the limit was before front or rear would start to lock up. I knew how much front brake I could carry mid turn safely.

As for commuting on a highly strung 600, I did that for two years with no problems and really enjoyed it actually. The weightlessness of the R6 compared with the S1000RR is actually something I really miss. I used to be able to filter much quicker on the R6, and I never got into any trouble in the wet. I rode this tihng in ice and snow ffs so that definitely wouldn't bother me.

The only benefit I can think of is motorways, and I don't like taking motorways.

Insurance is cheaper. I would ride it faster. It looks better. It did everything I wanted it to. I regret selling it and buying the S1000RR.

I think I'm locked into finance for 6 months before I can request early settlement. Trying to figure out where I go from here.

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
A private sale may be an issue, unless someone who knows you is prepared to work with you. A Dealer will sort it, but undoubtedly it'll cost you more.

How would I go down the dealership route? I got this bike from a BMW main dealer. Wouldn't I need to pay off the finance before I can buy another bike, or sell privately and use the money to pay the finance off?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:05 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

How would I go down the dealership route? I got this bike from a BMW main dealer. Wouldn't I need to pay off the finance before I can buy another bike, or sell privately and use the money to pay the finance off?

As Dippy said, the problem with the private route is anyone who has a brain is going to do a vehicle check and it comes up with finance so they are going to walk away. The only way I can see that working is if you price it low enough to get someone interested and then agree to clear the finance in front of them once they have paid for the bike.

Dealer wise, a trade in is about your only reasonable choice. They will sting you whatever you do though, especially 'trading down' in value.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gsxr750 ftw.

600 weight, bit more balls. Love mine.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, have a friend on an R6 who desperately wants a s1000rr, definitely gonna link him to this Shocked

Dependent on your credit score/status, you could take another loan from the bank, use that to settle the finance, then sell the bike privately and use the money to settle the loan.

More effort but you'd probably lose less money, just be careful of early settlement fees and make sure apr is low as possible.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the sort of finance you took out to purchase the S1000RR, as i know on PCP you can do a Voluntary Termination (VT), but only after you have paid back at least 50% of the balance due, and if not you will have to make up the balance to that 50% before you can terminate

Quote:
Voluntary Termination rights mean that as long as you have paid more than half of the balance due, including interest and charges owed – or make up the difference to that 50% – you can return the vehicle to the finance company. This works in a similar way for Hire Purchase schemes.

Be aware, however, that you won’t get anything back if you’ve paid more than 50% of the total due.

If the car is worth more than the remaining payments, you could be better off paying a settlement figure to buy the car and then selling it – provided you can access the funds to do this.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-finance/advice/2016/pcp-car-finance-can-i-get-out-early/

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:42 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if you weren't ready for a big powerful sports. They do take a lot of experience to get the best from all that power. However you may well be underwhelmed having tasted the 'holy grail' - make sure before you make another mistake! The Beemer is a bike many would die for - you may grow into it. On the other hand you may have reached your ceiling or like me, downsize for reasons.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it, you'll get used to it and love it. I was lucky in that I was able to buy a 1000 and keep my 600. At first I didn't like the 1000 but then I learned to compare and contrast, and to ride each bike the way it wanted to be ridden.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Keep it, you'll get used to it and love it. I was lucky in that I was able to buy a 1000 and keep my 600. At first I didn't like the 1000 but then I learned to compare and contrast, and to ride each bike the way it wanted to be ridden.

Sort of agree with this. It took me a few months to 'get' my Street Triple after so long on Fazers, loved it when I did catch on.
Otoh, the Fazer is clearly more 'me', so I understand OP wanting his R6 back. Get a better paid job and have both!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 14:50 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading more of these replies, I'm now really even more confused.

Looking back, I doubted the R6 the first time I rode it and wondered if I could get used to it. I didn't trust it at all.

When I touched knee on it for the first time that's when I really fell in love with it and it got better and better from there.

I haven't had that same moment on the S1K. Everything I do on this bike seems to scream "The R6 did this better". I don't know if I need to grow into it. The R6 was a fuck-around bike and I could take the piss and that was really fun.

I might keep it for this season, and see how I go. Tbh I have no choice unless I want to lose a lot of time and money messing about with bike swaps/finance/private sales/loans. I don't really want to dig this hole deeper.

I really am conflicted over this. I do love the power, it's insane. I wouldn't get bored of that aspect, but I can't "settle" for the way this bike handles. It bugs me so much.

Then again, I haven't rode an R6 for a while, maybe it's one of those grass is greener effects. The R6 is certainly more aesthetically pleasing than this bike in my biased opinion. Even the exhausts on the S1K look like absolute lumps, and the SC-Project CR-T is the only one I'd go for. But then that's stupidly loud and I don't like that.

I don't like the weight either. It feels clumsy. Sigh.

Will I really grow into this bike when it's all looking so negative?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:

Will I really grow into this bike when it's all looking so negative?

Possibly, but not necessarily. HTH Thumbs Up Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is some #firstworldproblem shit right here Laughing

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
It depends on the sort of finance you took out to purchase the S1000RR, as i know on PCP you can do a Voluntary Termination (VT), but only after you have paid back at least 50% of the balance due, and if not you will have to make up the balance to that 50% before you can terminate

Quote:
Voluntary Termination rights mean that as long as you have paid more than half of the balance due, including interest and charges owed – or make up the difference to that 50% – you can return the vehicle to the finance company. This works in a similar way for Hire Purchase schemes.

Be aware, however, that you won’t get anything back if you’ve paid more than 50% of the total due.

If the car is worth more than the remaining payments, you could be better off paying a settlement figure to buy the car and then selling it – provided you can access the funds to do this.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-finance/advice/2016/pcp-car-finance-can-i-get-out-early/

You can pay off PCP finance at any time, the voluntary termination is about handing the vehicle back to simply stop making payments. This won't be the case as the OP has only had it for 4 months.

All OP needs to do is ring, ask for a settlement figure then either
1 - get a loan and pay of finance, sell bike, pay off loan (as said by someone else)
2 - advertise bike as clearly as possible, explaining that the finance will be settled when it's sold. This is done by the buyer once the seller as instructed the finance company to talk to the buyer. It relies no a degree of trust, but it must happen all the time with most vehicles now sold on finance (i'm sure this is that happens in a dealer at trade in too)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always pretend that you're a rider for a race team who have just brought in a completely new bike for the next season. So far, you have done some initial testing and found that it is very different from the old machine, and requires a new approach. Time for you to earn those ridiculously over-inflated salary figures and go figure out how to ride it to victory! Laughing

leolion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:06 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in the same position mate, ive gone from a lowly 250 cbr to a mt07 and i really want my little honda back, its even still on sale at the garage i px it at, but as id loose a shed load of money now im keeping the yamaha for this season and seeing if i gel with/how the figures look in the autumn, i feel your pain.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:56 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

leolion wrote:
im in the same position mate, ive gone from a lowly 250 cbr to a mt07 and i really want my little honda back, its even still on sale at the garage i px it at, but as id loose a shed load of money now im keeping the yamaha for this season and seeing if i gel with/how the figures look in the autumn, i feel your pain.

You have an infinitely better bike.

OP has too much in 1 lump with all the fun removed.

You have a bigger lazier engine with less internal failures.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tyres are on the bmw? Are you sure the suspension is set up and working properly? I doubt bmw would sell so many after motorcycle journalists had slagged it off if it was such a bad bike.

OTOH, a 600 is fun to zing through the gears on public roads without taking too much liberty. I can't imagine close to twice the power not getting me into severe trouble at some point. I will be adding a larger capacity bike to my collection but can't see me selling the cbr600f.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get a 'I really wish I had kept my previous bike' feeling whenever I sell one for something else. There was a time that I pined after my stupid TT600 until I remembered that it pissed oil everywhere and kept breaking down when it ran out of electricity.... Or the xr250 that I grew to hate and never actually used anymore....

You haven't really ridden the S1000RR for very long so naturally you aren't going to know the ins and outs of the bike yet. Keep it until the weather improves. The roads at this time of year can be very greasy, muddy and full of potholes so it is hardly surprising that you aren't making good progress.

Book yourself on a trackday, ask an instructor for some free one to one tuition and see what the RR can really do. Then decide if you want to go back to an R6.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said. It's not the same bike, it's very different. It does some things not as well and others better.

Currently you have it long enough to find it doesn't do the things you used to do as well.

But what does it do better, have you tried changing what your trying to do and expose where its talents lay.

Trackday has been mentioned, this is may be where it comes together.
Or some extended trip away.

When I first got my Gixxer I struggled (and still do sometimes) to like it. I found it annoyingly heavy and slow steering compared to 600.

Even the power I found annoying. Because its so pointlessly fast for the road, I just thought it was stupid.
It was Paddy who said that I was thinking about it wrong, and should think about the power as just having reserve.
Thinking about it as being "reserve" seemed to make more sense.

You can still ride it at 60 round that corner if 60 is what it should be.
The difference is yes, you're breaking earlier for the corner, perhaps taking a wider line. And possibly getting on the gas a bit later out the corner, but the torque makes up for it.
600 is all about screaming engine, very late breaking, carrying corner speed and getting on the gas very early. There is more drama, its more exciting (imho).
1000 is different. Its just a much more efficient ride, less frenetic, but still very quick overall.

wrote:

I just remember feeling very "at home" on the R6 and like I was fully in control. I could fully feel all the little details, and could take that bike apart and put it back together again.

I get this. Felt the same about gixxer. It look a summer of mini holidays (4k miles) to really get to know the bike. Then doing some servicing, cleaning stuff up. Spending time, getting to know one another Smile
Now I'm not in a hurry to sell like I was.

wrote:

I felt very fast and extremely confident on it.

But that only came with time in the seat and miles on the road.

wrote:

I felt slower, more nervous, and the bike felt clumsy at a more intense pace and at that level of pushing it. I didn't feel like I could trust where it would "go" or what it'd do at lower lean angles.

Again, I completely relate to this. The bike is heavier and that really makes a difference in the bends and b-roads. It has slower steering (presumably so to not shake its head too much at 190mph).

I found that tweaking the suspension has gotten me to a point where I feel happier on the bike.
Basically I've sacrificed a bit of high speed stability in the name of quickening the steering.
I'm 80% happy, but I'm not 100%.
So I'm going to change springs + oil front and back. Play with the ride height slightly and see what happens. But all the while knowing that I have a base suspension setting I can go back to which I'm much happier with than standard.

wrote:

The electronic suspension baffles me

I found I was only happy on "Race" mode on BMW S1000RR when borrowed for a day. All the other modes seemed pointless.

Thing is to probably take it to a suspension specialist. Tell them what you want to use the bike for and get it setup for you.

wrote:

it has stupid amounts of torque that I don't need

Compared to the S1kR I found the RR (like the gixxer) fairly gutless.
That's an exaggeration. But essentially, both RR and Gixxer are calm below 6k. If the situation doesn't require a shit tone of revs, don't use them. Think of it as reserve Smile
I found the S1Kr more of a handful.

In the end, it's your choices of course. Maybe you won't like the bike. But maybe it just needs more time / miles and a changing of riding style / situation / expectation to reveal what the bike has to offer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2