Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Number plate LEDs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:15 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Number plate LEDs Reply with quote

The downlighter from my brake light is a bit lacklustre so I was wondering about these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-Number-Plate-Light-Screw-Bolt-Bulbs-For-Car-Motorcycle-12V-LED-SMD/123606949785?epid=930811370&hash=item1cc78c5f99:g:CWAAAOSwhYJcRvBF&frcectupt=true

Doesn't anyone actually get pulled over for poorly lit number plates?

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 04:09 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Number plate LEDs Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Doesn't anyone actually get pulled over for poorly lit number plates?

Disconnected my number plate light on my SV, removed the light completely on my GSXR and moved the plate so it's completely unlit, never been pulled after 3 years in and around London.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:56 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't notice mine was out for almost a year. My MOT man pointed out, before the test, it wasn't lit (seperate to brakes/stop). I'd disconnected it myself when I was in there sorting stuff out, just after the last MOT while sorting an advisory and never noticed I hadn't reconnected it. Over winter, 90% of my riding is in the dark, with stop-happy North Wales Police.

If it's there, and functions, stop worrying and ride it.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you actually have some light on the number plate! I only realised recently that my tail tidy unit doesn't drop white light down to the plate - it will need sorting if it flags up at MOT time..

You already have some light dropping to your number plate. There is no MOT requirement as to how bright the light should be. If you head down the route of adding extra pointless parts then the bike will become a money pit.
Do you also like slot machines? I sense you like playing with lights - lots of posts mentioning them..

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorbikes are not all that visible from the rear, especially on a dark and wet evening on a motorway. Nice brightly lit numberplate helps a bit.
I replaced my numberplate bulb with a small smd panel.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:21 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a really bright one come enclosed with my recently fitted tail tidy. Triple SMD LED, properly E marked. Much
more eye catching than the old one. Leaves a pool of white light on the ground behind the bike. Laughing Might as well
put on a light show, it already spits fire. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
At least you actually have some light on the number plate! I only realised recently that my tail tidy unit doesn't drop white light down to the plate - it will need sorting if it flags up at MOT time..

You already have some light dropping to your number plate. There is no MOT requirement as to how bright the light should be. If you head down the route of adding extra pointless parts then the bike will become a money pit.
Do you also like slot machines? I sense you like playing with lights - lots of posts mentioning them..

Guilty Rolling Eyes

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Lmao insightful Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:27 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacklusture is fine as long as it's there.

I once failed an MOt for no numberplate downlight. Melted a 6mm a hole in the bottom of the taillight lens which let a tiny slice of white light out onto the plate. Passed. I later imporved the design by putting a blob of epoxy over the hole to stop water getting in.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:09 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some of them, they're pretty bright for what they are....

I removed the number plate light on my Ducati (and part of the frame, tail chop FTW) and needed some way of lighting the plate to keep the MoT man happy. I had a clear tail light with red LED bulb so it wouldn't light up normally so stuck a couple of these inside the light and all is well - I have replaced one already though so make them easy to access !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Lacklusture is fine as long as it's there.

I once failed an MOt for no numberplate downlight. Melted a 6mm a hole in the bottom of the taillight lens which let a tiny slice of white light out onto the plate. Passed. I later imporved the design by putting a blob of epoxy over the hole to stop water getting in.

You should've appealed, a number plate lamp is not now, nor ever has been, part of the motorcycle MOT test.

There were plans to introduce it, to the extent there's a tester instructional film that includes it, but it never happened.

C&U regs may be a different issue.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:09 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

You should've appealed, a number plate lamp is not now, nor ever has been, part of the motorcycle MOT test.

There were plans to introduce it, to the extent there's a tester instructional film that includes it, but it never happened.

Umm..

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/Section-4-Lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment.html#section_4.7

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Shaft wrote:

Umm..

https://www.mot-testing.service.gov.uk/documents/manuals/class12/Section-4-Lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment.html#section_4.7

My mistake, they sneaked that in last May, shows how often I test these days!

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:

Good to know, thanks Cool

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum members: "so I think we all learnt something there..."

Me: "I like the pretty lights!"

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
Forum members: "so I think we all learnt something there..."

Me: "I like the pretty lights!"

You're not alone. Other folk here will confirm this habit too - torches.
I'm guilty of going through a phase where I'd buy any type of torch I could. China was throwing out heaps and cheaply. Before LEDs came along torches used filament bulbs which were a bit pants - bright LEDs drew me in.
You can have a small AA powered torch delivered from China for £1. It becomes almost like a fetish!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:53 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. I thankfully got over that phase a few years ago.

I still have a 4x 18650 gazzilion lumen "sun maker" that doubles as a hand warmer if you leave on long enough Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 35 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1