BCF: Bike Chat Forums

STR vs MT09

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:59 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: STR vs MT09 Reply with quote

still on my commuter saga and think I've finally narrowed it down to the STR or MT09, have test rode the MT09 and did enjoy it and like the looks but was very twitchy and felt like sitting on a 125 bike in terms of the size, hoping the STR will be smoother and a bit bigger.

I'm 6ft2 and 20stone so not ideal for the smaller bikes but the sports tourers are just too much power for a london commute and would be wasted and the adventure bikes like the tiger 800 just feel like they would be too big for decent filtering as I am used to the cbr600 f4i which is brilliant for filtering but numb hands and wrist and back pain is starting to get to me and not enjoying riding it anymore.

which one would you go for out of the two? I'm looking at the 17+ MT09 with the "less twitchy" throttle or the 2012-2017 STR R-model. edging towards the STR as I can get an older model whihc will be cheaper on insurance and less of a thief magnet

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faced with same choice I went for the twitchy bike that wants to kill me. Laughing

bigdom86 wrote:
which will be cheaper on insurance and less of a thief magnet

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you need STR >=2013 to be safe on the immobilisor being standard.

Also, ST is a tiny, tiny bike. That's kinda the point. It's like riding a small bmx bike with 100bhp

Enjoy the test ride Thumbs Up

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:12 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having ragged an fzr thou round and through london size and weight is a state of mind.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:29 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Having ragged an fzr thou round and through london size and weight is a state of mind.

It is kind of a waste if that's all you're going to use it for though.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:33 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It is kind of a waste if that's all you're going to use it for though.

I usually just used it to destroy oil and blow up engines.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

the size of the bike does worry me a bit but I am trying to think of something more suitable for the job tbh other than going boring and getting a NC750, coming from the cbr600 I still want some power and grunt and something which looks nice. the tiger800 was good but felt a bit too big for london commuting

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:26 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my STR very comfortable, wonderfully responsive, brilliant handling and fabulous brakes.

I also wouldn't have dreamt of commuting on it. It's a toy, a fun bike, a weekend warrior to piss over sports bikes with. Cool

I'm sure you could commute on it but its just so wrong!

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:00 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

well i currently commute on a cbr600 so can't be much different in terms of power just comfort, I'm not ready just yet to get a boring scooter or nc750 for commuting. i still want it to be loud and have some grunt to it!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:16 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to check, are we talking Street Triple R, or Speed Triple R, as a Speed might be better for a bigger lad...?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:57 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Just to check, are we talking Street Triple R, or Speed Triple R, as a Speed might be better for a bigger lad...?

I didn't bother looking at Street Triples for ages because I just thought that at 6'2'', it'd be a bit too small for me. Eventually had a sit on one in a showroom, and thought it wasn't too bad.

Finally got one, and actually, it had better leg room than my Fazer 1000. I had no problems with the physical size of the bike.
But perhaps MarJay is right, considering your weight, and the Speed Triple might be a better bet for you.

The only thing I didn't like about the Street was the width of the bars, which restricted filtering a little, in comparison with my Fazer, but wasn't a huge issue. Just meant I couldn't take quite so many liberties with it, without being a bit more careful.
I sat on a Speed Triple once, and think maybe the same thing would apply.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
the size of the bike does worry me a bit but I am trying to think of something more suitable for the job tbh other than going boring and getting a NC750, coming from the cbr600 I still want some power and grunt and something which looks nice. the tiger800 was good but felt a bit too big for london commuting

So you like your CBR apart from the riding position? I'm guessing the new bike will have to be ULEZ compliant? I would say ST, FZ1 or any other thou with upright bars in your price range. FZ6 is a great commuter and is certainly no slouch compared to a CBR6 but I don't know about newer models and ULEZ stuff. And any bike within reason can be made to sound nice

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:19 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

indeed the Street Triple R, the speed triple R might be nicer as looks a bit more roomy but I feel would be a bit OTT for london commuting (105bhp vs 140?bhp), although I could try test riding the speed too, is it that much more roomy?

I test rode the new RS yesterday and a 12 plate R (underseat exhaust version) - tbh I wasn't too impressed with the RS seemed a bit tame, the old R i actually really enjoyed riding, felt more spacious and was much louder even with stock cans than the RS, the RS had arrow can but was so quiet, also the R seemed to have more pull from 1-3k than the RS? only thing I preferred on the RS was the slipper clutch as was really light.

the bars did feel pretty wide in terms of arm positioning just as I am used to the closer position of sports bikes but I could get used to it.

so currently edging towards the R. I did try a 15 plate MT09 but at 20stone it felt tiny and like I was on a pogo stick I was bouncing everywhere.

you think would be worth trying the speed or would be OTT for my commute?

I love everything about my CBR besides the seating position, my hands are constantly getting numb, biceps and arms always killing holding all my weight up eventhough I grip with knees, also knees starting to hurt too due to peg height.

yeah new bike needs to be ULEZ compliant for me.

I don't mind the look of the old fazer 6 too but I think the latest ones are 2012-2013? so pretty old, although by CBR is 2002 if I am changing I would want to get something perhaps 2014+

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've mentioned the physical size of bikes a few times, thought I'd chip in as I've gone through both extremes a few times, often straight from a tiny bike to a huge one.

The best bike I probably ever had for filtering was my '93 CBR600F. It had both mirrors removed and would fit through the absolute tiniest of gaps, and bars low enough to go right under almost all car mirrors. A very close second must be the FZS600 Fazer which benefited from better steering lock, at the cost of higher bars.

At the other end of the scale, my current R1200GS is a monster, it's tall, wide and heavy. It's surprisingly nimble for the size, but there's no getting away from the overall width of the thing. I also had a Diversion 900 for a year or two which was also at the bigger end of the scale, though nothing on the GS.

The big bikes have never really slowed me down all that much, we're talking a matter of 5 minutes or so over my 22 mile London commute, the longer tank range on the Diversion probably saved me more time than the size lost me!

The only really difference for me on the GS is a bit of frustration when I get to a tiny gap I can't get through. On the CBR I knew that if I couldn't get through, then even cyclists would struggle, on the GS there's a sense of "I'd have been through here on the CBR".

Not really trying to convince you to go for a bigger bike, small bikes are certainly easier to filter on, just saying that a big tourer/adventure bike isn't necessarily the end of the world.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1