Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance exc commuting - ride in one day?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jefr0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Insurance exc commuting - ride in one day? Reply with quote

Hi all

I have a CB125F for work which is insured for social, domestic and pleasure including commuting.

Two of my other bikes are social, domestic and pleasure excluding commuting.

If I ride one of the bikes which exclude commuting to my place of work on one day the CB125F doesn't start for example - am I insured?

Would this count as commuting? (might be couple days a year this happens)

Would insurance deem it as commuting and void the policy should I get involved in an accident? (Or could this be different for different insurers)

Thanks

Jeff

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:06 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Insurance exc commuting - ride in one day? Reply with quote

Yes, you could get into bother with your insurance company should you be required to make a claim whilst commuting on a bike not specified for cover whilst commuting........... it's quite simple really

It's no different to anyone else owning a weekend/pleasure bike with no commuting cover, and then decides they will ride to work one sunny Summer day.......... in the event of an accident, they will be in hot water

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:09 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

maybe a silly question, i always have SDP inc commuting, if you didn't include commuting how would an insurance company try to prove you were commuting? couldn't you just say you were going for a ride or visiting someone?

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
maybe a silly question, i always have SDP inc commuting, if you didn't include commuting how would an insurance company try to prove you were commuting? couldn't you just say you were going for a ride or visiting someone?

It will all come down to the severity of the claim, and the tenacity of the insurance company to try and shift the liability, it wouldn't take much detective work to work out if the accident occurred on the route being taken was to/from the claimants home address and place of work, and also time of day (during rush hour for example), or any uniform/formal work wear being worn, or if the bike was stolen from their place of work

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:24 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
if you didn't include commuting how would an insurance company try to prove you were commuting? couldn't you just say you were going for a ride or visiting someone?

First it needs to be worth their time to look into the circumstances around your claim.

It wouldn't take many questions for it to become clear that you were commuting. Where do you work? How do you get there? What other vehicles do you have access to?

They can knock on your neighbours doors and ask them questions.

Jefr0 wrote:
Two of my other bikes are social, domestic and pleasure excluding commuting.

If I ride one of the bikes which exclude commuting to my place of work on one day the CB125F doesn't start for example - am I insured?

Would this count as commuting?

You'd have to check with your insurance company for their exact definition of commuting, in general terms commuting is travelling to your place of work.

If you commute on one of your bikes that aren't insured for commuting then you're not insured. They'll still pay out to third parties and in theory can then come after you for how much they've paid out.

How much more expensive was the policy if you added commuting on?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put commuting if it made a difference to SDP. Just don't tell them you were going to/from work.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:25 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
how would an insurance company try to prove you were commuting? couldn't you just say you were going for a ride or visiting someone?
DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Just don't tell them you were going to/from work.

To take this to its logical conclusion; on the day you cause an accident when riding to work and up with a 6-figure claim against you, the insurers will move heaven and earth to wriggle out of responsibility, and will be able to show that it took place on an obvious route between your home and work; they'll also interview your employer to ascertain whether and at what time you were expected at work. Etc, etc. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure the law would say that the insurer would need to pay out the claim regardless, whereupon they'd come after you personally for all their costs. And/or ultimately are you prepared to risk a jail sentence by perjuring yourself in court? Rocket science it ain't.

Last edited by Freddyfruitbat on 15:36 - 13 Mar 2019; edited 4 times in total

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I wouldn't put commuting if it made a difference to SDP. Just don't tell them you were going to/from work.

Ahh, thats the loophole is it, just say you weren't commuting.......... easy as that, silly me

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

Yep it's as simple as that when you've cabbaged someone or caused a pile up.

They'll definitely take your word for it.

Without a doubt.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you asked your insurers how much it would cost to put commuting on the policy? I upped my to class 1 business use, and it hardly made a difference.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:

Without a doubt.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but I do work right next to a big grocery shop so could very easily have gone to get my breakfast. Laughing

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree with Freddyfruit bat.
I think if there happened to be some big accident, resulting in 6+ figure sum compo for death/potato care/etc. then insurance companies will be on it quicker than Shamima Begum's lawyer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:58 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
Perhaps I'm being naive, but I do work right next to a big grocery shop so could very easily have gone to get my breakfast. Laughing

You could very easily have gone to get your breakfast but you weren't, you were commuting to your place of work and it would be straight forward for your insurer to show that.

How much did you save by not having commuting on your policy?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:54 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

About £80.

Without it, my insurance was £110. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Insurance exc commuting - ride in one day? Reply with quote

Jefr0 wrote:

Would this count as commuting? (might be couple days a year this happens)

Of course you'll be fine and if you kill one women a day that'll be fine as well. Don't be so stupid.

Last edited by sickpup on 19:18 - 13 Mar 2019; edited 1 time in total

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You could very easily have gone to get your breakfast but you weren't, you were commuting to your place of work and it would be straight forward for your insurer to show that.

As a one off, I could very easily. I don't do it every day Thumbs Up

My policy is £100, would be an extra £20 with commuting, not worth it for my situation.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's cheaper with commuting. phone. add it. profit.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
J4mes wrote:

Without a doubt.

Till they contact your employer, and ask your hours of work....

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:01 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
it's cheaper with commuting. phone. add it. profit.

For some.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

And they could prove that I was actually going to work? I also work from home a lot. Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:51 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the balance of probabilities, if you crashed somewhere on the route between your home and your workplace at a time when you'd be travelling to or from work, I think it would be clear that you were commuting rather than visiting the grocery store that's next door to your workplace.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:04 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree

Unless you were stupid enough to admit to being commuting I doubt there's much they could do.

Admittedly in court it would be balance of probabilities but in my case riding anywhere between west wiltshire and bristol could be in scope and as I can work from home there's little proof that I'd actually be going to work at any given time.

(I'm insured for commuting)

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
iooi wrote:

And they could prove that I was actually going to work? I also work from home a lot. Thumbs Up

It might not be YOU they are asking. If the cops called my wife the first thing she'd tell them is I was at work.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My limited understanding of this is that as far as the Road Traffic Act goes, you are insured - you have a certificate of insurance issued for that bike which will show on the MID. You therefore can't be prosecuted for riding with no insurance.

However you have breached the terms of your contract with your insurers if you commute with no commuting cover. Therefore, whilst the insurers can't avoid liability to any third party, they can cancel your insurance and make a civil claim against you for costs. Those costs could include significant medical or restitution costs which you likley can't afford (hence why you have insurance, to pay for this stuff if it does happen).

The reality is that this all only becomes relevant if you have an accident on the one day you choose to commute on a bike with no commuting cover.

For my bike it adds about £60. I can afford £60. I can't afford 6 or 7-figure payments.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered what would happen if you get into an accident at your workplace but weren't working on that day (eg you work in retail rather than some office block). I guess you could get a statement from your manager confirming that you weren't working on that day.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3