Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Old Yamaha TY 175 Real Barn Find.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

St George
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:30 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Old Yamaha TY 175 Real Barn Find. Reply with quote

Just shook hands on a TY 175 complete bike, not seized and was running when it was chucked in a barn ( a real barn ). It is a pitiful site to look at. Rusty forks etc. I have only seen it for about 2 mins, it was so cheap I just said yes and will collect the weekend.
Are they worth restoring or shall I break it ( Don't like to break a bike ).
I will get it running first and see how good the motor is.
No V5 or number plate. Sorry no pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't break it.

Unless it's really shite. If you don't want the project I might be interested.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 13 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo the above!

Don't break it unless the frame is rotten to bits. They were a great (Probably the best?) twin shock clubman trials bike of all time. I was 12 when I first started riding mine, and I preferred it to the Fantic 243 I had after, and the 1990 YZ125 I had too.

Definitely post some pics of it on here, and if you do decide to restore while classic trials bike parts aren't always particularly cheap, they have pretty much everything available for them and demand for them is probably still strong. The engine is a DT175 unit so easy to get bits for. They unlike some of the slightly later 80's European bikes have enjoyed a lasting following and parts are still being made now to fix or improve them.

Try getting spares for an old Aprilia, Italjet or rare French/Spanish bikes like the JCM's etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:48 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the most popular, numerouse & long running T-Shock trials, yes, they are worth restoring, & possibly one of the 'best' resto bases about as parts plentiful, & the bike so rudimentary there is such little to actually be needed.
Plus at end of resto, there is T-Shock trials to use one in, that's cheap, popular and common, and dang good fun, actually!
Few resto's are financial viable, though, and this is little different, and for all its one of the better bets, if you are in it for the possible;e profit? Well, its more a case of being one likely to loose the least, rather than make the most.... check prices, they vary enormously, with some folk asking silly money for concourse and likely untrialable concourse jobs, down to field-bikes with a bit of prettied up paint.
If you priced it against match-stick-in-bottle type hobbies though, they can rank very highly on the VFM stakes.... especially if you go trial it.
Breaking it?
As said there are a heck of a lot of them; it was cross-over twixt youth and adult classes when current, the defacto starter bike in the sport. Things like the brake hubs are magnesium, and there are a few other slightly more exotic bits in there, but its mostly all early pre DT yam-bits.. the little there is of them, a pair of forks a couple of wheels, an engine, and a pair of mudguards... the seat, even is pretty much 'optional! So there's not a lot of stuff in there that you can sell on that isn't most of the bike... and if its not a runner or viable bike as is, or with small work, like new brake shoes and cables.... there is likely even fewer bits that any-one might really want or need... I mean; in trials mudguards are disposeable equipment; handlebars brake anmd clutch levers, b end'em and straighten'e, till the snap sort of things, the bits that make it look good, are likely not the ones you have any-way. Folk do break them, and I assume they must break even on the job, but I would doubt that they sell all the bits or very quickly, and probably have lots of stuff left over to skip before they are done!

Your call... personally I'd give it to Snowie or one of the kids as a resto to do and trial to cut their teeth in both, and expect many many laughs along the way, and not have to fork out a huge amount of money for them, but I'd not expect it to turn a proffit at any point either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

St George
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:44 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could post pictures on here a long standing problem. I could Whattsapp a picture to someone if they trust me with their number and they could add it to the thread, please PM me if you can. Thank you for all replies. Will probably restore it. Thanks.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 14 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Your call... personally I'd give it to Snowie or one of the kids

Oh. Fuck. It has spawn.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1