Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ANPR Database

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: ANPR Database Reply with quote

OK a strange question for you lot. I'm asking for a friend.. honest.

Sat navs can be updated with a list of static speed cameras and it's how the devices allow you to be informed when approaching one.

My question is: Is there a database for ANPR cameras in the UK? I'm not actually after it for sat nav - I'm after a file extension which can be added to Google Maps.
I'm aware of other add-on files which can be added to Google Mapping but is there a specific ANPR one?
For anyone wondering - it's those blue or dark green cameras that are often bolted to bridges over main routes. They're sometimes seen on stand alone poles on busy routes too.

Cheers!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone was trying to plan a route or travel to avoid ANPR cameras then to me that can only mean one of two things:

1, They are using an untaxed or un-insured vehicle or even a stolen one?

2, They are either a wanted criminal for a possible un-related to motoring offence, or wanting to travel to commit a crime or disposal of evidence?

Two other things,

1, even if you could find an up to date known list of fixed ANPR camera sites, it would not help you avoid temporary mobile police ANPR checks, just like mobile speed camera sites. They often have them either during crack down operations on vehicle crime or un-insured drivers.

You'd expect them to be in towns and cities usually near to city centre main routes or ring roads, and also quite often at or near petrol stations, and maybe busy motorway junctions. I'd say that they are more likely to be set up either during national initiatives on vehicle crime or unlicensed drivers, or during festive periods like the anti drink drive campaign's before Christmas etc.

Lastly if I was up to no good or I was wanted for a serious crime I would travel by quiet country roads and stay well away from town centres and cities and motorways. I'd also make sure that the car/van/bike etc that I was driving was a legitimate taxed and insured vehicle. Even if I had to do my homework on someones specific vehicle before making up a set of clone plates etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 09:43 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you're referring to Trafficmaster's system of cameras.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/transportissues/photos/trafficmaster.jpg

These are used for looking at traffic flow and nothing to do with crime.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
If someone was trying to plan a route or travel to avoid ANPR cameras then to me that can only mean one of two things:

2, They are either a wanted criminal for a possible un-related to motoring offence, or wanting to travel to commit a crime or disposal of evidence?

Two other things,

1, even if you could find an up to date known list of fixed ANPR camera sites, it would not help you avoid temporary mobile police ANPR checks, just like mobile speed camera sites. They often have them either during crack down operations on vehicle crime or un-insured drivers.

You'd expect them to be in towns and cities usually near to city centre main routes or ring roads, and also quite often at or near petrol stations, and maybe busy motorway junctions. I'd say that they are more likely to be set up either during national initiatives on vehicle crime or unlicensed drivers, or during festive periods like the anti drink drive campaign's before Christmas etc.

Lastly if I was up to no good or I was wanted for a serious crime I would travel by quiet country roads and stay well away from town centres and cities and motorways. I'd also make sure that the car/van/bike etc that I was driving was a legitimate taxed and insured vehicle. Even if I had to do my homework on someones specific vehicle before making up a set of clone plates etc.

Perhaps!
(I'm fully legit, crime free etc) I avoid people I know who drive uninsured etc because to me they could destroy someones life.
Just asking tbh and yes avoiding key nodes on networks is one such thing - another is buy a fishing boat and travel the coast..

carvell those Trafficmaster cameras are basically identical but there was an introduction of ANPR cameras across the whole UK road network many years ago. Once installed in their places, it took ages for legislation to allow their use but there were actual convictions based on the ANPR camera data before it became legal for authorities to use them. I have no idea how they got past that one. One such case was a bloke driving up the A19, through the Tyne Tunnel and murdering a woman on North Tyneside.
I'm fully aware of the ANPR fixed device network because I know someone who works in police control and they use it to monitor vehicles travelling across counties during stings they operate. I probably should never have been told that information!

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

I'm fully aware of the ANPR fixed device network because I know someone who works in police control and they use it to monitor vehicles travelling across counties during stings they operate. I probably should never have been told that information!

Why not, they tell you the exact same thing on "Police Interceptors" just about every week.............. its not a secret

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Two other things,

- Or someone is planning on entering the next season of Hunted! Laughing
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:40 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
Or someone is planning on entering the next season of Hunted! Laughing

You do realise that that show doesn't really have access to ANPR, don't you...?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:

- Or someone is planning on entering the next season of Hunted! Laughing

That program is infuriating. They simply make-up the 'available technology' to suit their needs and ignore it when they want someone to get away.
I'm quite sure that are nowhere near the number of ANPR cameras that they'd have you believe..

That stroppy lead detective is a complete prick, or a great actor.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know and agree with the last couple of posts, didn't stop it being the first thing that sprang to mind though.
That show is such a setup...
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feasty wrote:
That show is such a setup...

Yes their 'small print' states something along the lines of 'certain powers of the state are replicated/simulated for the purposes of this programme' which blows their whole premise out of the water. They seem to play their cards very close to their chests, but I once read somewhere that their version of ANPR consists of the cameraman, whose job is to continuously shadow the contestant, texting their location to the production team.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 15 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: ANPR Database Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
OK a strange question for you lot. I'm asking for a friend.. honest.!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! ^^

I guess no public database exists then. I guess my 'friend' will have to compile a local list using Street View..

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:43 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I'm quite sure that are nowhere near the number of ANPR cameras that they'd have you believe.

There are far more ANPR cameras than there are patrols to actually respond to them Laughing . They only ever seem to be useful when traffic officers are already in the area looking for someone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ^^
I've been told first hand how they use the system to monitor and follow vehicles travelling through counties - some number plates set alerts off in police control rooms and they then act accordingly.
One incident was a vehicle carrying drugs from Yorkshire, through North Yorkshire and into the Teesside area.

I made a point of looking at the cameras they use and they've been updated. They're now mostly black and fixed to bridges over lanes - they are up this way anyway.

Meh. I'll use a boat..

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:44 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're otherwise legit then you wont get as far as being listed. They'll just come knock on your door for whatever they're accusing you of.

That list is usually used for vehicles with stolen/fake plates that have been involved in some other crime where they can't find you without locating the vehicle.

They can look back over previous logs too so don't go making regular recce trips before your murder/bank robbery if you think they might try to tie you to the crime.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
If you're otherwise legit then you wont get as far as being listed. They'll just come knock on your door for whatever they're accusing you of.

That list is usually used for vehicles with stolen/fake plates that have been involved in some other crime where they can't find you without locating the vehicle.

They can look back over previous logs too so don't go making regular recce trips before your murder/bank robbery if you think they might try to tie you to the crime.

Yeah I'd basically gathered all of that. Big brother truly is watching what you're doing and more importantly - remembering what you've been doing. I'm squeeky clean but still dislike so many cameras in life..
(car from scrap yard with no log book = £100)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1