Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Front tyre choice on cb125f 2015

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

dizzy4528
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:09 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Front tyre choice on cb125f 2015 Reply with quote

Hi guys trying to find out some info on the front tyre for a Honda cb125f 2015/16. It has a 80/100x18 fitted at the moment and is a budget tyre, the rear is a Michelin street pilot and I'd like to fit an equivalent quality tyre up front but the choice in 80/100x18 is very limited, I've noticed that the imperial size tyre 18x3.00 and 18x3.25 has a much larger choice of named brands.
Can I fit one of these equivalents and if so what size would be best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:43 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited choce is only really an issue, if the limit is that the tyre you want, isn't one that will fit!

If you have a pilot on the back, I would look to fit a matching pilot on the front... and I would be surprised if they dont make one in that size.... hence the notion is that the lack of choice isn't strictly that they dont make a tyre that would fit, or you dont have much choice, but.... the tyre you would like, isn't really available at the price you're happy to pay..... dig deep, take a breath and find the dosh is my advice..

The imperial sizing, generally imply an older design 'tubed' rather than tubeless tyre, and you may even be able to fit one without a tube... b-u-t... its generally a retrograde mod, the tyre might be stickier than the budget offering fitted by the factory, but its likely not got as stiff a carcass, and 'handling' is likely to be much of a much as un-predictable - especially as an older tyre design in the budget arena is likely to still not be so sticky.

On the 125 Super-Dreams, otmh I think that they take a 3.00 front and 3.50 rear, and I have yet to wear out a pair of now, no-longer-available Mitchelin M45's, which I thoght were pretty good... and the only critasism was that at aprox £90 a pair, compared to maybe £60 for e-blay specials, they were a tad expensive.... but they WORK! So worth the extra! I believe that they were phased out in favour of the Pilots, and share the same rubber-compound, the only real difference being the pilots having a more sporty looking (Bald?!) tread patern.

So... from my point of view, it wouldn't really be an issue. I'd go for a matching pilot to fit to the front as is on the back, and be done. And quick look at listings, they ARE available in suitable sizing, and in fact at £75 ish for a pair deal, no more expensive than the old M45's... itys just a case of NOT wibbling over the difference of a couple of quid that might be 'saved' to buy something that probably isn't as good, and likely doesn't match the back, and buy problems.

In fact, I would probably buy a pair 'deal' for the sake of the small difference in price, and save myself a chunk load of fret and possible problems along the way, for the surity of knowing both front and back rubber are new, matched and good....

On a lightweight, you dont have mass to hold bike on the road, so the more grip you can get from better rubber is the only compensator... and long years of experience have taught me, you spend thousands on a bike, it is FALSE ecconomy to try skimp a few £10's worth on tyres, especially on a light-weight.....

So what's more important? Staying rubber side down, or clinckining a few extra pennies in tour pocket, when you bend down to look at the bent footrests or scratches and dents on the tank?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dizzy4528
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:43 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the point i want to fit a good quality front tyre and don't mind the expense but matching the pilot is the problem a 80/100 x 18 pilot doesn't exist in fact the only Michelin available is a city pro in that size .If you can point me to a pilot of the correct size i would gladly buy one .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:39 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't you sure it's not 100/80 18?
The firs number is the width in mm, tge second is the ratio of the height to width, a percentage and the final number is the radius in inches.

80mm width, 80mm height doesn't make sense. 100 mm widtg, 80mm height does.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your limited to maxxis Shocked

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-125-F-2015-2018-Maxxis-80-100-P18-47P-C910-Tubeless-Tyre-80-100-x-18/263780616523?hash=item3d6a8cc94b:g:6NsAAOSw6QpbMjNr

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:45 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it turns out it is a 80/100r18...

I'd just fit a 90/90r18 on it. Same sort of height and 10mm wider should fit okay.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby may have a point about the 100/80/18.

https://www.mandp.co.uk/motorcycle-spares/tyres-wheels/tyres/bridgestone-bt45-100-80h18.html

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:52 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use the imperial sizes.

That year CB125F has a stupid sized front wheel so you've got very limited options.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

dizzy4528 wrote:
Thats the point i want to fit a good quality front tyre and don't mind the expense but matching the pilot is the problem a 80/100 x 18 pilot doesn't exist in fact the only Michelin available is a city pro in that size .If you can point me to a pilot of the correct size i would gladly buy one .

Ah the old matching tyre problem, been there done that got the farking t-shirt.

As you can't get a standard pilot tyre get the Michelin city pro, at least you have the same brand of tyre.

As an alternative you can grab a Bridgestone BT45 which is more expensive but it's a very good tyre, probably better than the michelin.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good shout Courier265,

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/michelin-city-pro-motorcycle-tyre-1291127/?sku=MBT7090144CITYPRO&istCompanyId=a2904180-3a7d-4e56-b876-cf81c9512180&istItemId=-apwipmtpa&istBid=t[/quote]

dizzy4528
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:15 - 16 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the info guys ,went for the city pro from Demon Tweeks. And only £38.00
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1