Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

YBR fault code 19 and won't start

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sparky700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:21 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: YBR fault code 19 and won't start Reply with quote

Hi all, newbie amateur mechanic looking for some advice.

I've bought a 2015 YBR Custom which was stolen and recovered. I bought a new oem ignition barrel and have done a few other jobs but she won't start and is showing code 19. From other threads this seems to be ignition related.

It turns over fine but won't fire up. There's no spark at the plug as far as I can tell. Battery is ok, is there any procedure when fitting a new ignition barrel?
Praying for some help! Cheers

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 17 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Bleck/White wire from the ignition to the ECU, if you changed the Ignition Switch look there first

Sparky700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:25 - 18 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Check the Bleck/White wire from the ignition to the ECU, if you changed the Ignition Switch look there first

Thanks, tried that today it all looks in order. Opened up the ignition switch but couldnt see anything wrong inside. Looks like turning the switch to the on position connects the black to the black/white. So frustrating...

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:47 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your Tip over sensor is working, bypass clutch and sidestand switches , earth the neutral switch,

Sparky700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:52 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Check your Tip over sensor is working, bypass clutch and sidestand switches , earth the neutral switch,

Thanks, still not working Crying or Very sad
I now know for a fact I've got continuity from the ignition black white terminal to the same terminal on the ecu plug, and the ignition switch is giving continuity between black and black white when in the on position. Is there any kind of "hard reset" for the ecu? Still that damn code 19. Thanks for the advice so far!

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you bypass all of the above sensors/switches?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:

This ^^
Each of those sensors/switches feeds its own way into the brains of the bike. Each one of those could stop the ECU from allowing the bike to start. For example - side stands sometimes have a 'safety' switch on them. The bike will not start if the stand is down. What happens is the stand becomes worn through general use and something as minor as going over a small bump in the road will move the side stand a little and make it flick the 'safety' switch. The result is an intermittent engine kill and aside from being annoying can be lethal.
If you do the correct bypasses (one by one) you might well be able to fix your bike cheaply. Fix all the bypasses at the same time and you'd never know what was faulty!
Try the suggestions one by one as we give them - we're trying to help you fix it with as little cost and effort as possible.

Sparky700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:33 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:

Thanks guys.
To be honest I eliminated the clutch switch - that doesn't even let the bike turn over. I swapped out the tip over sensor, I bought a loom which had one. All good. The only thing i didn't check was the neutral switch, I'll look up how to do that tomorrow. I checked the bw wire continuity and found it was a problem. So I added in a temporary bypass wire to replicate the bw and got the required continuity to the ecu from the ignition switch. I've had the switch open and its working as it should, and there's no funky electronics inside as you know. I just wondered if there was some kind of ecu reset procedure as it's still giving me code 19 when the signal is working as it should. Nightmare! really appreciate your tips and advice. Thinking about it the neutral light used to come on but now it doesnt?

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the connecting wire off the Neutral switch and earth it, if your neutral light comes on your switch is faulty

Sparky700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:03 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Take the connecting wire off the Neutral switch and earth it, if your neutral light comes on your switch is faulty

Ok thanks will give that a try tomorrow, Very Happy Very Happy

Sparky700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:21 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:

Thanks, got round to doing the neutral switch and it checked out fine. Also checked the operation in and out of gear and it's fine. Really appreciate the advice at least I'm ruling things out Confused Any suggestions on the next step would be appreciated

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:22 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you check it out?

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this ,get a jumper wire and at the harness side of the ignition insert one end into the back of the ignition connecter into the Black/White wire and the other end into the Black wire and see if it will start

Sparky700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:53 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
How did you check it out?

Hi I followed Meaty's advice above. I've also got a Haynes manual which takes you through the checks on the switch for continuity in and out of gear and it all seemed fine and working as it should...

Sparky700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:56 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Try this ,get a jumper wire and at the harness side of the ignition insert one end into the back of the ignition connecter into the Black/White wire and the other end into the Black wire and see if it will start

OK thanks I will give that a go. I did check continuity between the black and the b/w terminal with the switch in the off and on positions. Seemed to work as it should. Will give that a go and see how I get on, ta

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only other thing I can think of is the 3 Diodes which are taped over in the harness itself , taking the tank off should expose them

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparky700 wrote:
Meatybeaty wrote:

OK thanks I will give that a go. I did check continuity between the black and the b/w terminal with the switch in the off and on positions. Seemed to work as it should. Will give that a go and see how I get on, ta

I ask because "I checked it" usually translates to "there was a wire there" and that's it. Continuity is good.

Sparky700
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:30 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks I will give that a go. I did check continuity between the black and the b/w terminal with the switch in the off and on positions. Seemed to work as it should. Will give that a go and see how I get on, ta[/quote]

I ask because "I checked it" usually translates to "there was a wire there" and that's it. Continuity is good.[/quote]
Yeah I know and I really appreciate the advice, I've got a lovely bike there that I can't get started! I'll go through all the checks again but I'll end up calling out an auto spark but hate admitting defeat!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 363 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1