Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First slightly brown pants moment

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: First slightly brown pants moment Reply with quote

Travelling home after a 110 mile ride out, only 7 miles from home on wet roads I was going around a roundabout, not especially fast (2 lane roundabout and I was doing maybe 20mph), the front wheel slipped briefly . . . this in itself wasn't actually that much of a drama, but because it was a new experience I instinctively took my gaze away from the roundabout exit and instead glanced in front of the tyre (which in retrospect is ridiculous as whatever the cause of the slip was already behind me) but that caused me to run wide. I did get my eye back in again, but ended up running within about 18" of the edge of carriageway which was a bit too close for comfort!

I'll know (or at least try) to just keep the focus on the exit point irrespective of a minor slip in future, but it was all a bit disorientating! No doubt all part of the experience though, but it's the first time this has happened in 1500 miles of riding (all of which has been through the winter and mostly on wet roads).

Doubtless a feature of wet weather biking Laughing

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stayed upright, that's the main thing! Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
You stayed upright, that's the main thing! Thumbs Up

Yep Thumbs Up it was a very slight slip, a fraction of a second, but still caught me out a bit! Talking to a mate about it though it does happen occasionally, apparently it's a case of riding through it (which I didn't do, I reacted to it, hence running wide which was the real risk I think).

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:51 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You stayed upright and you recognised the moment , learn from it.

Maybe you were just a bit to blasé about conditions or your ability?
Or it could be that you were just caught out by a patch of diesel?

You’re still in one piece, happy days Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
You stayed upright and you recognised the moment , learn from it.

Maybe you were just a bit to blasé about conditions or your ability?
Or it could be that you were just caught out by a patch of diesel?

You’re still in one piece, happy days Thumbs Up

It was very much an "on-off" slip, so I think it was something that significantly reduced friction momentarily (the surface there is that surface dressing/chippings but with patches worn through it all over the place - I do take it easy though past there). I wasn't introducing any extra forces (steering, throttle etc.) so I don't think it was that I was pushing it and I wasn't exactly scraping the pegs either. Ability . . . limited I'm sure given my inexperience! I think ability and experience (hopefully next time if/when there is one) would have kept my focus on the exit and not allow me to be distracted by it.

Learning is good when it doesn't involve bouncing down the road. Laughing

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On longer runs there is a tendency to lose focus as you get back to familiar roads near home, and perhaps are a bit tired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
On longer runs there is a tendency to lose focus as you get back to familiar roads near home, and perhaps are a bit tired.

Yeah I did wonder a bit about this, plus I have ran wide at that roundabout before (for no apparent reason) so I wonder if the geometry of the roundabout is a bit odd too.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1