Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Problem finding Insurance (EU citizen, import bike)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Arninger
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:54 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Problem finding Insurance (EU citizen, import bike) Reply with quote

Hey.
Arne here. This I is my first post, so hi to everyone.
I moved to Scotland in September 2017 to work as a brewer for Brewdog. One of the first things I did, was getting a bike.
Got myself a small Honda VRX 400 which was imported (did not think that that mattered back then).
I hab the bike on a classic bike insurance (eBike) until end of last year, unfortunately the insurer does not exist anymore. I was looking for a new insurer, but I cant seem to find one.
The problem seems to be the imported bike, and me not being UK citizen and/or having a German driving licence. If pretend to be born in the UKin one of the many insurance comparison portals, I can find cheap enough insurance. Also if I keep my EU details but pick a similar bike (Same manufacturer, engine, year) I can find insurance easy.
But with both things in, there is one insurer that would insure me for 1200 £ a year (the bike is worth 800 £...). Seems like insurers are either cool with me being a foreigner or having an imported bike but as soon as I have both no one wants me.

Does anyone have an idea at which insurance company I could try my luck? If I cant find one I will have to sell the bike. Sad

Happy about any suggestions.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian Flux might be worth a shot. Give them a call, dont use the websites.

Principal Insurance too. Again, call dont use the website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of suggestions... Get on the phone to insurance companies - don't just use their online systems. Talk to a real agent (not just a call centre person) and get a quote on the phone.
Try comparing and getting quotes for a different, more commonplace bike, and see if it would make a difference if you were to get rid of the VRX400.

Whatever you do, don't lie about your licence status or origin - they will ask you for your licence photocard or a (UK) check code. Getting insurance this way is fraud and a serious crime. Speeding or having loud pipes.. meh. Not really a huge issue. But fraudulently obtaining insurance will cause you a major headache for years to come.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you, but I love the bike Thumbs Up Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Problem finding Insurance (EU citizen, import bike) Reply with quote

Arninger wrote:
I hab the bike on a classic bike insurance (eBike) until end of last year, unfortunately the insurer does not exist anymore.

Didn't eBike metamorphose into Brightside ? Try them if you haven't already?

And/or - eBike are/were just an online broker; do you have the records of your old policy, which will tell you which insurance underwriter actually covered the policy? That might well give you another lead.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:27 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.uswitch.com/car-insurance/car-insurance-for-temporary-imports-non-uk-residents/

Arninger
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:29 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.
Thanks for the int.

Just to clarify, I would never lie to get an insurance. It was just to check where the problem is.

Tried brightside, they cant offer anything.

Have called several insurances, but no one could help me so far.
Will try the ones in the first reply.

I already checked for more common bikes. Comparetehmarket etc give me load of acceptable quotes for that. Will do that worst case, but would prefer to keep the bike if I can.

Thanks for the response so far!

Arninger
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:30 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
https://www.uswitch.com/car-insurance/car-insurance-for-temporary-imports-non-uk-residents/

I did not import the bike from Germany.
The bike was imported from Japan in 1997 and has had 10 owners in the UK since.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:14 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a UK resident, you should have surrendered your German licence for a UK one, with UK address on it.
That would make insurers happy, if all the addresses match, and citizen ship shouldn't matter.
If you have not given up german residence... then you are allowed to use german registered and insured vehicle in the UK, for so many months.... then you have to declare UK residence and register both bike and licence at UK address.

That's the niggle on that one.

As for bike being non UK grey-import model... that is a second mine-field..... if bike has UK registrtation, then its down to the insurer whether they wil cover you and for how much, BUT the bike has to be declared a UK registered grey-import of non UK Market specification/oragin.

Even where ialmost identical model was sold here as an official import, its not a UK bike and declareable to inurance.

Clear as mud? Hopr that helped!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:28 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ref license

EU driving licence in UK:
If you hold a full licence issued in a country within the European Union you can drive in Great Britain using your original licence until it expires and there’s no need to exchange it or retake your driving test. The same applies to those with a European Economic Community (EEC) licence. Your licence will expire when you turn 70, but if you’re 68+ when you become a UK resident you can drive for three years. After this time you must exchange your licence.

Taken from the Gov site

Arninger
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:50 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

growler wrote:

EU driving licence in UK:
If you hold a full licence issued in a country within the European Union you can drive in Great Britain using your original licence until it expires and there’s no need to exchange it or retake your driving test. The same applies to those with a European Economic Community (EEC) licence. Your licence will expire when you turn 70, but if you’re 68+ when you become a UK resident you can drive for three years. After this time you must exchange your licence.

Taken from the Gov site

Yeah, thats what I heard as well.
Was inquiring about that, but they did not even want to give me an UK licence if I wanted that.

Was driving my german car the first month here, but changed for a UK registered one a while ago.

The bike has been bought here, and is UK registered. It must have been imported 1997. The model seems to never have been officially imported to the UK.

Arninger
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:57 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
Adrian Flux might be worth a shot. Give them a call, dont use the websites.

Principal Insurance too. Again, call dont use the website.

Tried these as well.
No luck Sad

The guy at Principal was really helpfull.
He basically said the same as I thought. Two factors coling together (EU + import), each on their own not too big of a problem.

He basically recommended to sell the bike and get an non-import.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:46 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if you'd have any more luck insuring it as a modified bike? Because it IS modified. Or maybe that's a triple-whammy.

Most comp. insurance allows you to ride other peoples vehicles providing they are insured under another policy.

Perhaps you could transfer ownership of the VRX to a friend, insure it in his name on the cheapest TPF&T party insurance you can for him. Buy a random small, cheap bike (doesn't even have to be a runner, just has to exist) and insure it comp in your name. Get written permission to ride your mates VRX and carry it with you.

The above may be considered somewhat outwith the spirit of the rules if they found out you were riding it all the time...

I personally wouldn't have a problem with someone getting one over on an insurance company because they are all theiving bastards.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 21:47 - 20 Mar 2019; edited 1 time in total

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:46 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for freedom of movement and goods.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I wonder if you'd have any more luck insuring it as a modified bike? Because it IS modified.

It's been modified, but I'm not sure it counts as a full-on custom. I know that Bikesure let you have modifications up to a certain point - full drop-down lists and tickboxes where you state what you've done. For example: "exhaust replacement, 5% performance increase", or "exhaust replacement, no performance increase". In this case, he seems to have a couple of end cans and a very basic green paint job. Not badly done, but it wouldn't count under the heading "special paint job". I played with this online quote-generating system a couple of times (I was bored) through Gocompare, and not many items on the modifications list had any effect on premiums. They don't seem to care about indicators, mirrors, or even things like naked conversions or removing all your fairings (all of these are listed options). The things they seem concerned about are frame modifications and engines from different bikes. Those are the mods that put you well and truly in "custom" territory, and you'll be lucky to even get one or two quotes on Gocompare. Those things are like an insurer's cryptonite.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:18 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
I wonder if you'd have any more luck insuring it as a modified bike? Because it IS modified.

It's been modified, but I'm not sure it counts as a full-on custom. I know that Bikesure let you have modifications up to a certain point - full drop-down lists and tickboxes where you state what you've done. For example: "exhaust replacement, 5% performance increase", or "exhaust replacement, no performance increase". In this case, he seems to have a couple of end cans and a very basic green paint job. Not badly done, but it wouldn't count under the heading "special paint job". I played with this online quote-generating system a couple of times (I was bored) through Gocompare, and not many items on the modifications list had any effect on premiums. They don't seem to care about indicators, mirrors, or even things like naked conversions or removing all your fairings (all of these are listed options). The things they seem concerned about are frame modifications and engines from different bikes. Those are the mods that put you well and truly in "custom" territory, and you'll be lucky to even get one or two quotes on Gocompare. Those things are like an insurer's cryptonite.

Anything that differs from the manufacturers specification is a modification. I even had to list the mirrors and levers. Non-standard paint would be a definate (even if it is shitty paint). Some insurers even want to know about stickers.

In Germany, you would need a piece of paper for EVERY slight deviation from standard on that bike. Even if you had a non-listed brand of tyre fitted.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Anything that differs from the manufacturers specification is a modification. I even had to list the mirrors and levers. Non-standard paint would be a definate (even if it is shitty paint). Some insurers even want to know about stickers.

Sure, and I have quite a few declared modifications too. My insurance via Bikesure allowed them all without a premium increase, although when I enquired about frame mods (I had plans for my subframe) the underwriter-computer said 'no'. I emailed them directly and asked.
I then double-checked this by entering fresh data about hypothetical mods on the Gocompare website, and only Carole Nash and another gave me a quote. Both quotes were outrageous.

Regarding the paint job, and the details about the exhaust, I'm not sure what the poor guy's expected to know with regard to the original spec. He's just an ordinary guy, presumably, who has nothing to do with the motorcycle industry. For all he knows, that is the original spec (mirrors, army green paint job, shortened mudguard?, exhaust, etc.) After all, the bike has had 10 owners before him - that's 10 chances for someone to change little things here and there. The bike could have been sold to him as standard yet have had all these mods. Or the exhaust and other stuff could be considered cheap repairs in the light of the expense of getting original equipment and paint. I'd be willing to run that line in the event of queries being raised, because there's no obvious deception that I can see going on there, especially if the computer's quotes for insurance don't change if you mention minor accessory replacements and stuff.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:07 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I mentioned it is modified policies are "different" to standard ones. The question of import or not may never come up.

I have a friend with a bike on a modified policy with a 1.9l VW diesel engine fitted. He called to tell them he'd changed the engine for a turbo one and that it now had a 5-speed gearbox instead of direct drive off the clutch... No change in premium.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I have a friend with a bike on a modified policy with a 1.9l VW diesel engine fitted.

Russell Couper? Legend! I enjoyed his presentations on Youtube.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Perhaps you could transfer ownership of the VRX to a friend, insure it in his name on the cheapest TPF&T party insurance you can for him. Buy a random small, cheap bike (doesn't even have to be a runner, just has to exist) and insure it comp in your name. Get written permission to ride your mates VRX and carry it with you.

The above may be considered somewhat outwith the spirit of the rules if they found out you were riding it all the time...

I personally wouldn't have a problem with someone getting one over on an insurance company because they are all theiving bastards.

Please don't do this, it is known in the industry as "fronting", it is illegal and will get you in deep water if found out

https://tinyurl.com/y3f3g8gk

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:57 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Please don't do this, it is known in the industry as "fronting", it is illegal and will get you in deep water if found out

https://tinyurl.com/y3f3g8gk

It's not "fronting". That's when you have the main driver added to a policy as an additional named driver.

What I'm suggesting is a whole other ballpark of dodgy. I'm suggesting he gets a friend to insure the bike in their name and insures a whole other bike in his own name then rides it under his own "insured third party on other vehicles" clause.

So if I loaned one of my (insured) bikes to a mate for, say 6 months. Would that be illegal? Because I have loaned friends one of my spare bikes for protracted periods before when their own one broke down. They rode them on the basis they were covered 3rd party by their own insurance.

It's hard to see what is actually illegal about this. It probably is and I imagine insurance companies would like to consider it to be but is it? Can anyone enlighten me what law would be broken?

My current policy from Carole Nash advertises itself as a "rider policy". (it isn't, I used to have a real rider policy that covered ME to ride any bike up to a certain cc regardless of if it was insured by someone else or not).

https://www.carolenash.com/rider-cover/#

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think I'm as dodgy as the next man, but apparently not. Laughing

Jokes aside, my Bikesure policy is a "ride any bike" policy but I'm 99% sure it only works if the bike belongs to someone else. For example, say I go to see a bike. I like it and make its owner an offer. He accepts, and I pay him. This transfers ownership to me. I then ride the bike home, but I'm uninsured. On the other hand, if he'd lent me his bike rather than sold it to me, I would be insured under my "ride any bike" policy.

The traffic police around my way know the ins and outs of this, because "drive any car" policies are common, and commuters with big cars try that one on, quite a bit. I've seen the cops post on Twitter about seizing luxury cars driven by people claiming their "drive any car" policy (with a Prius as the named vehicle) covered them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:41 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

The traffic police around my way know the ins and outs of this, because "drive any car" policies are common, and commuters with big cars try that one on, quite a bit. I've seen the cops post on Twitter about seizing luxury cars driven by people claiming their "drive any car" policy (with a Prius as the named vehicle) covered them.

The mistake they make is the other vehicle HAS to be specifically covered by its own insurance policy to be eligable for the "drive any car" thing.

The bikesure one is fecking useless because it only covers me to ride bikes which are insured in their own right AND belonging to people who are not relatives. So it doesn't cover me to take the wifes YB100 for an MOT on my day off (yet I can gofor a hoon over glencoe on my mates Tuono). The carole nash one does though.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just out the bike and buy a non import.
Would save a lot of pain every time you come to renewals.

Arninger
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:15 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.
Just letting you know I sold the bike and boght a boring non import (Yamaha Diversion).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2