Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Zipping in - how critical?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Zipping in - how critical? Reply with quote

So my "normal" biking kit is a matching textile trouser and jacket combo with a 3/4 zip that runs around the waist. They're the same manufacturer so zip together flawlessly and I always use this feature. This is my go-to kit for any high speed rides.

The question I've got relates to a nice new jacket I've bought which I intend to use for slower, more casual rides (i.e. pairing with motorcycle jeans). It's quite long and has got a proper buckled belt so it can be made secure around the waist and the jeans are worn with a belt so they're not going to slide down if I'm sliding head-first owing to my hips being wider than my waist. How critical is it I get a zipped connector for the jacket and jeans? I can see it being rather a faff to get it sewn into either the jeans or the jacket, but especially the latter as I'd have to puncture the external material.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:03 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not zipped mine together in years. Just don't come off and you'll be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Just don't come off and you'll be fine.

That is the general intention Wink

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:12 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any that can zip together I always do, but any that can't obviously I don't really bother. I did crash in a textile jacket and jeans, and I didn't receive any damage to my mid section and I did slide a long way. The main abrasion was on my backside and elbow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain, as i too went through this whole debacle when i first got into riding a couple of years back

At 1st i had RST trousers and jacket (textile, then added some leathers) and all seamlessly zipped together

I then bought some kelvla jeans, which actually had a short zip already attached to the back (about 8" long), so i sewed the other half to my most commonly used jacket, and all was good.....

...... until i bought another pair of jeans, this time with no zip, so i thought, how hard can it be to source a matching zip to my other jeans and sew half to the new jeans and the other half to my other jacket

The answer is very difficult, so in the end i ended up buying half a dozen 8" YKK zips from eBay for a few quid, and simply replaced the zip on the original jeans, and added a zip to the new jeans, and still have plenty of spares should i buy anymore kit

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option, depending on what kit you have, is to see if the jacket manufacturer offers a belt loop zip, (like RST and Dainese offer)

RST version

https://tinyurl.com/y445rgoy

I had one for my RST kit, but now upgraded to Dainese, but the Dainese version is 4 times the price, so i'm making do with my 8" zips for now

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only zipped together for track days

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:37 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested, no crash, no need crash-hat...
Beyond that?
Cost, Comfort, convenience.
I have a tailor made one piece race suit. Virtually unwarn, 'cos its a royal PITA to put on or take off!
I have a full-zip together touring suit. A one piece that zips all the way-around. Far more usable most of the while, but at the expense of ultimate protection.
Most often I wear just normal street-jeans, not even armour-pocket bike wear... its practical and its comfortable.... and I try not to fall off!

In years past I have had some irregular 'tab-zip' trousers and jackets... and where they have actually zipped together I have been a bit sanguine over them.... still seem to end up with builders-bum syndrome with the jacket riding up and the trousers trying to fall down, and a gap around my cold kidneys! Main gripe, though has been that unused, the flaps are like an inconvenient key in the pocket, rucking up and digging in and generally being a pita... back to that cost/comfort/convenience equation.

Bottom line, its your arse kimo-sabi, your call... what are you comfortable with? It's as important or unimportant as you convince yourself it might be, really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

In years past I have had some irregular 'tab-zip' trousers and jackets... and where they have actually zipped together I have been a bit sanguine over them.... still seem to end up with builders-bum syndrome with the jacket riding up and the trousers trying to fall down, and a gap around my cold kidneys! Main gripe, though has been that unused, the flaps are like an inconvenient key in the pocket, rucking up and digging in and generally being a pita... back to that cost/comfort/convenience equation.

You need one of these uber fashionable items
https://m0.her.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/16085548/22.jpg

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Another option, depending on what kit you have, is to see if the jacket manufacturer offers a belt loop zip, (like RST and Dainese offer)

Yes I have a similar one for my IXS kit - I have IXS textile jacket and trousers but use the belt adapter when wearing riding jeans

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. To be honest, if the jacket had a zip already then it'd be a no brainer and I'd get an adaptor for the jeans, but the jacket doesn't hence the quandry. I think I'll probably live with it "unzipped" for now as I'm not intending to hoon around the countryside in that particular outfit. Although, maybe I should gear up and get the Mrs to drag me across the drive to see if the jacket rides up? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1