Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Insurance costs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Insurance costs Reply with quote

I'm interested to know what people generally pay for their insurance, specifically on 1000cc bikes

For the last few years i have been insuring bikes on classic policies and am now looking to get something newer and am shocked by how much companies want to insure an 2001 r1 (30 something, been riding 4 years and live in a decent area, not made a claim in over 10 years)

£100 per month is what i paid as a teenager!!

Edit: Insurance is stoooopid. I just changed 2001 to 1999 and it went down to £100 a year Laughing Laughing Laughing

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've held my full license now for 6 years - 6 years no claims, bike in decent area (Plymouth) and kept in a locked garage:

All the bigger bikes in my signature have been around £100 a year fully comp. I've just renewed it for the SV650 and it was £86 a year.
Cheapest quote for a 1999 R1 was £218 for the same cover (or £257 if I pay monthly).

I also own a car, full time boring job, I own a child etc so am probably on the cheaper end of the spectrum risk-wise
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:11 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Insurance costs Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
Edit: Insurance is stoooopid. I just changed 2001 to 1999 and it went down to £100 a year Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hand

That's not stupid, it's something to use to your advantage. Razz

When shopping around for insurance, it's important to not make any assumptions and to play around with all the variables. Their big table of statistics which quotes are based on will throw up anomalies occasionally and there's nothing wrong with taking of advantage if the anomaly is in your favour.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

True story, to back up Ste's words:

My nephew just turned 17, his dad was comparing cars for insurance purposes. All the "small" cars, even low value bangers, were predictably coming up at £1800 +

His mate then offered him a 20 year old 2.0 diesel (I forget the model)....they punched in the reg and they got a quote for £300.

It's all to do with stats, because so many youngsters buy 1L cars, that means that a lot of them get into crashes or scrapes. And all because most people select the right car first, then try to insure it. A smarter way would be to do it the other way around - find a car that's cheap to insure then go looking for one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:

It's all to do with stats, because so many youngsters buy 1L cars, that means that a lot of them get into crashes or scrapes. And all because most people select the right car first, then try to insure it. A smarter way would be to do it the other way around - find a car that's cheap to insure then go looking for one.

This. Your 2001 model might statistically have been crashed more than the slightly older model for some random reason, or stolen more, or parts might be more expensive to repair etc.; insurance works purely on statistical calculations, but those statistics are based ultimately on humans which are not particularly orderly, hence the statistics aren't.

MEM62
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:32 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just renewed mine. 2012 R1200RT and a '16 GSF1250s, 57 live in Hampshire, max NCB - £300 fully comp.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it seems declaring ncb and going for an older model made all the difference. I tend not to declare ncd as ive had insurance cancelled mid trip before due to them failing to notify me that i needed to prove the ncd. I'll never use 'Be Wiser' again for that reason.

I wanted a 2001 r1, but ive gone for a 99 just on the insurance alone. the additional £800 on insurance didn't offset the cost of buying a more expensive 99 model /shrug
~£200 a year fully comp

I pick it up tomorrow Cool after the gpz900, i'm not quite sure what to expect of the R1

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
...I also own a car, full time boring job, I own a child etc so am probably on the cheaper end of the spectrum risk-wise

LMAO!

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Insurance costs Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
I'm interested to know what people generally pay for their insurance, specifically on 1000cc bikes

For the last few years i have been insuring bikes on classic policies and am now looking to get something newer and am shocked by how much companies want to insure an 2001 r1 (30 something, been riding 4 years and live in a decent area, not made a claim in over 10 years)

£100 per month is what i paid as a teenager!!

Just paid 95 pounds to Devitt for my 2015 1000cc Versys. TPFT, business use, commuting, ride other bikes TP only, 20,000 miles a year. That is with their maximum of 9 years NCB. I have 3 points at the moment.

I lowered the value to a more realistic figure, the renewals just put the same figure every year unless you tell them different. My bike is now effectively worthless as it approaches the mid 80k miles. 'We buy any bike' offered me a grand for it after ringing me up to see if I had mistyped the mileage and asking for photographs when I was trying to get a rough value for my renewal.

Edited for fuckwittery

Last edited by yen_powell on 18:13 - 22 Mar 2019; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:51 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Insurance costs Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
ride other bikes TP only, 20,0000 miles a year. That is with their maximum of 9 years NCB. I have 3 points at the moment.

I lowered the value to a more realistic figure, the renewals just put the same figure every year unless you tell them different.

200,000 miles a year? Wow.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:54 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

5,000 miles a year, GSXR1000 2011, £120 a year FC. Garaged and Almax'd

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Insurance costs Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
yen_powell wrote:
ride other bikes TP only, 20,0000 miles a year. That is with their maximum of 9 years NCB. I have 3 points at the moment.

I lowered the value to a more realistic figure, the renewals just put the same figure every year unless you tell them different.

200,000 miles a year? Wow.
Bugger

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:24 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:

If that's true it's another example of how retarded the industry is.

Using that reasoning, if someone made the best beginner car that everyone bought, it would then have higher insurance because of popularity instead of some intrinsic fault screwing over both the car manufacturer and the people buying it.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
True story, to back up Ste's words:

My nephew just turned 17, his dad was comparing cars for insurance purposes. All the "small" cars, even low value bangers, were predictably coming up at £1800 +

His mate then offered him a 20 year old 2.0 diesel (I forget the model)....they punched in the reg and they got a quote for £300.

A few years ago Daughter 23 no NCB looking at a fiat cinquecento approx £1500 to £2000 cost. Was £1500 ins.
Bought new Kia Picanto £11000. Ins £650.. Both FC

Go figure Laughing

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that might be coming into play is that the '99 R1 might now be qualifying for a classic or 'modern classic' policy, 1999 (scarily) being 20 years ago now.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSX-R 600 costs me £120 a year.
I do live in a posh part of Hertfordshire though, where crime is pretty much non-existent. My car is only £250 a year.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Chris. wrote:
The other thing that might be coming into play is that the '99 R1 might now be qualifying for a classic or 'modern classic' policy, 1999 (scarily) being 20 years ago now.

Yup. My '96 Viffer is much cheaper on "Classic" policies. Which reminds me I'm getting old, as '96 is not fucking Classic. £100ish a year TPFT on a classic policy 10K Miles, versus £300ish standard policy 10K Miles.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:27 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my thou isn't anything like an R1 but normally I'd like circa £100/yr. My renewal was up 40% for me this year, but switching I've managed <£90 but the standard excess is more (I expect a bit of introductory discount happening too).
* Just plain comp cover, garaged, non-pikey area, no extras, no kittens kill recently, lots of ncd.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Insurance costs Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
I've ended up keeping the insurance running on the YBR and will be adding my dad to the policy as an additional driver (as he'll be borrowing it until September when my son is 17) as it's only £10 per month and even if they double it by putting my dad on it should still be worth keeping active if only to get the NCD 6 months earlier (as otherwise I would have to wait until my Brightside insurance on the CBR1000F expires in April 2020). YBR policy expires in October, at which point I'll (hopefully) have 1 year NCD, at this point I may investigate whether I'll save money by cancelling Brightside on the CBR1000F and searching for a new policy on it at that time with 1 year NCD to add and having had the licence for over a year.

Shocked You are Tef and ICMFP

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:01 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobby_Lud

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:03 - 24 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

YBR125 and CB1000F at the same time? I think someone is saying porkies at the same time as bitching about being treated like a cunt.

£150 FC on the strumpet, and thats with 9 points.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2