Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CG 125 model help please?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Macumlad
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:32 - 21 Mar 2019    Post subject: CG 125 model help please? Reply with quote

I have recently purchased what the log book says is a 2001 CG 125 but im confused with all this Japanese, Brazilian and general import stuff is telling me.

Is there a way to definitely determine which model i have please?

The vin plate says "made in Japan" and the vin number is CG125-5739814. The casings are marked as a CDI engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:31 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about finding out for definite, but I have what I believe to be a Japanese market engine in mine. The only thing that sets it apart as far as I can tell is that it the gears are in race pattern, 1 up and 3 down so only 4 gears instead of the usual 5.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They moved to making them in Brazil by 1999 (based on my 99 model being made in brazil), so it's likely yours was made there.

Then again yours says Made in Japan so who knows.

EDIT: I'm wrong and I'd trust the vin plate but tbh it shouldn't really matter where it's made.

Macumlad
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:54 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vin plate says made in Japan and the log book says 2001 but it has the older square petrol tank and hub front brake. Unless someone has changed the tank for and side panels for older ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth asking on the C90 forum - they know their CG125s too. I know that Honda Japan issued a Made In Japan rerun of their older version of the CG125 at some point. The Japanese ones are reputably of higher quality.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda switched CG125 importation and production to Turkey after 97/98.

Notable distinction of Turkey would be square headlight and mirrors. Honda on fuel tank, red or blue colour.

Brazil was 85 to 97, Brazilians have smooth sides with a tidy symetrical stripe down the middle.

Japan 76 to 85, mostly rusty old dogs by now.

You might have a mix of parts as a lot could be swapped between years and country of manufacture. Any particular need to know country of origin?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:14 - 26 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macumlad wrote:
The vin plate says made in Japan and the log book says 2001 but it has the older square petrol tank and hub front brake. Unless someone has changed the tank for and side panels for older ones.

Sounds like it could be a Japan only 'Heritage' model? Does it have a rev-counter?

That would have most likely been a 'private' import brought in to the UK and registered later than manufacture/first use.

Year on the V5 means little. Thats NOT the model year, thats the year it was registered, first-used, and or declared new by the importer, or deemed made by a dating authority, like the Honda Ownrs Club.

End of the day? Its a CG, made for oooh... forty friging years, in many many guises, in many many countries, with uber possibilities for bits to have come from anywhere and antywhere, including the enormouse number of Chinese copies and clones of the design!

Worry about whats in the metal, rather than the paper-work.... and IS this a real problem? You got bike, you got V5, you got insurance? You got licence? You got motion? If its broke, then it may become more pertinent.... but even then, whats in the metal matters more.... dont sweat the small stuff... keeping it rubber side down and avoiding road-rash should be rather higher up your list of imperatives at the moment, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 2 years, 364 days between these two posts...

bazerque
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:04 - 25 Mar 2022    Post subject: CG 125 model guide Reply with quote

In Uruguay we have received always models imported from Japan, although from 1994 onwards we have begun to import also from Brazil.

Our models, from 1979 to 1993 had different side covers vs the first model and a front mechanical disk brake, that is to say a disk brake operated by cable.

About 1995 and up to 2001 (perhaps new old stock) we received from Japan a different motorcycle. The principal differences were, square headlight, joint square gauges in a square instrument panel (tacho and speedo), ignition lock in the instrument panel (vs under the tank) and a return to drum front brake.

Other minor differences included different tank decals, fuel tank cap black instead of chromed, plastic black mirrors and squared rear light acrylic cover.

Every part of this motorcycles is signed as japan or made in japan, for what I am quite certain they came from there.

At the same time the uruguayan importer had always bought bikes from japan, at least up to 2005, being brazilian cg125s in Uruguay up to that year grey imports.

LessIsMore
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:47 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: CG 125 model guide Reply with quote

bazerque wrote:
Our models, from 1979 to 1993 had different side covers vs the first model and a front mechanical disk brake, that is to say a disk brake operated by cable.

Interesting. Do you have a photo of this model? Any idea why they went back to hub brake (also cable operated) after trying the mechanical disc?

For the OP: this has some info on the various UK-sold models and where they were made:

https://sites.google.com/view/cg125technicalinformation

Go to the Technical Information section and view the spreadsheet.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 04 Apr 2022    Post subject: Re: CG 125 model guide Reply with quote

LessIsMore wrote:
Any idea why they went back to hub brake (also cable operated) after trying the mechanical disc?

I don't know why they did this but if I had a choice between a cable-operated front disc brake brake and an old-school drum brake I would go for the drum brake every time. Cable-operated disc brakes are just awful. There are pushbikes that have better brakes. Kawasaki experimented with cable-operated disc brakes on a couple of models for a couple of years, before abandoning the idea. With drum brake shoes, you've got a much larger surface area to apply friction. With hydraulic disc brakes you've got the ability to apply large amounts of pressure to a small area to create friction. With a mechanically operated disc brake you've got a smaller surface area than drums, and much less pressure that can be applied to the brake pads than with hydraulic disc brakes. Cable-operated disc brakes also require adjustment periodically, which is an annoying process which also has the unhappy effect of messing with your brake lever's free play.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 183 days between these two posts...

bazerque
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:04 - 05 Oct 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Uruguay, up to 1978, and since 1994 up to 2001, all imported from Japan, they had drum brakes. 1979 to 1993, cable operated disk, also from Japan.Up to 1993 practically no other changes, round tank, round speedo and tacho, similar decals, round headlight.
From 1994, squarer tank, diferente decals, square headlight, square instrument panel,different taillight, plastic black indicators instead of chromed metal ones. For a photo of the latter you can look at the one in Wikipedia.

No doubt they were from Japan, not many sold, parallel import of many Brazilian bikes.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1