Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Surrey/South London based schools with tall'er bikes (DAS)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

KidLongLegs
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:05 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Surrey/South London based schools with tall'er bikes (DAS) Reply with quote

Hiya, just made a new account to ask a quick question from the most knowledgeable bike community. Does anyone know of schools in Surrey/South London area that will take a DAS student to learn on a bike for the taller rider. Am 6ft 4, did CBT on a CBR125 and my left leg was begging for me to stop before the day was out, needless to say I need a lot of practice. Far from getting a 125 Varadero and teaching myself which I do not want to do!

Closest near me is Sutton Motorcycle School and Wimbledon advanced riders I believe- I did call both of them to explain the difficulty I had with the CBR and both assured me I should be fine on their bikes (of which I do not have the models).

Thank you all!

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:25 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man up, I'm 6'5 and did my CBT on an SR125 , yeah it's shit but then you pass and get on something bigger.

As a DAS student won't you be on a 500+ bike?

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:31 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic for the LOLZ.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/230000_7001128475_6281_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=f5fa9f934982743b543bd4bfc2f88ea1&oe=5D0ADE6C

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: Surrey/South London based schools with tall'er bikes (DA Reply with quote

KidLongLegs wrote:
Am 6ft 4, did CBT on a CBR125 and my left leg was begging for me to stop before the day was out

It might not be your height. Everybody gets aches and pains doing a day of riding when they're not used to it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To flip it the other way: I'm a short arse and glad for my faux-cruiser over the CBT bikes.

I don't think you'll find anyone with "oversized" 125 training bikes Sad

KidLongLegs
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:08 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
To flip it the other way: I'm a short arse and glad for my faux-cruiser over the CBT bikes.

I don't think you'll find anyone with "oversized" 125 training bikes Sad

Thank you for your kind answer, I think I might just have to suck it up and plough through and do the DAS on whatever bike my local school has.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:44 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed my 'Part-1' many decades ago, on a Honda H100, cos at 6'2" with 36' inside leg, I couldn't get far enough back on the saddle... to get anything like full lock on the slalom! Man up!

CBR? I can sort of sympathise.... its as weenie as an H100 with the impediment of arse up rear-sets and fairings.... but still....

Go do DAS, you'll likely be given something like an ER6 with an uprighty riding position and no fairing in the way of your knees...

Elswe-wise get used to it... bikes, like off-the peg trousers are NOT designed or built for freaks of nature that get cricked-necks in Nisan Micras....

You doing bike tests to get licence to ride ANY bike.... not merely that one you like most! You should be able to ride just about anything from a mini-moto to a full dress gold-wing, and be able to do whatever you need to ride it with inconvenient limbs.

There's much more serious chit for you to worry about here, there really is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of learning to ride a bike is learning how to hold and position your body properly on the bike, whatever bike that happens to be at the time. I'm 6'3" and can ride a YBR125 for hours without issue. Piss/coffee break will likely be the reason for stopping, rather than numb bum or achy joints.

Local school use YBR's for taller students, with CG's for normal sized people, while they use Hornet's for full A licenses.

Chances are your DAS will be on a bigger bike that's fairly upright.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Tef would say, first check that you have all the performance you're supposed to have as standard, before going and looking for more.

If you're able-bodied, you will be able to touch your toes. Try it. If you can't do it, it will be because of adhesions and stiffness caused by an excessively sedentary lifestyle. But you can get this ability back by practising touching your toes a few times a day for a week or so. It's the standard human spec.

Why does this matter? The stiffness in your leg during training was because your leg was bent at the knee at an angle more acute than that to which you've become accustomed. If you were more flexible, and used to having your leg bent at such an angle, you would have no problem.

If you can rid yourself of this limitation at a physical level by acclimatisation and practice, you will have a greater choice of bikes available to you by the time you've passed your test. Being forced to go down the cruiser route surely isn't the way to go.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my cbt at advantage and my das at smt, both decent if you get the right instructors.

Advantage use cb650f’s and pretty sure smt use xj6’s if I remember correctly.

This site will give you an idea of each

https://cycle-ergo.com

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:03 - 23 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
As Tef would say, first check that you have all the performance you're supposed to have as standard, before going and looking for more.

Err...
Bhud wrote:
If you're able-bodied, you will be able to touch your toes. Try it.

Well that's me kerbludgered then!

Bhud wrote:
The stiffness in your leg during training was because your leg was bent at the knee at an angle more acute than that to which you've become accustomed. If you were more flexible, and used to having your leg bent at such an angle, you would have no problem.

Possibly.... but then almost ANY-ONE would be sore, cramped and aching after CBT on almost anything, regardless of their proportions or those of the bike.

Riding a motorbike is something 'New' and CBT is pretty exhausting. Geez, it was exhausting enough just teaching the damn things, let alone doing it!

You use a lot of muscles you haven't much used before, and or in new ways, much like any new activity, and to compound the matter you are probably nervous and tense, and holding bars in a death grip and fighting the bike to try not fall over and go where you think you should.

8 Hours of that, leaves most students pretty achie and many many of them just give up or blame the bike for it... but its not the bike... it IS largely newness and nerves and muscle 'memory'.

It gets easier...... well... it should get easier......

As to the bike-size? As said, its an any-bike licence, you should be pretty much able to ride any-bike, not just one picked cos you is more comfy on it.

Of larger frame, Idea of folding myself onto an early Sega-Toy CBR125, I have to say is NOT particularly appealing.... and I don't suppose the slightly larger frame later models are much comfier! In fact, reminiscences of wedging an old oil-boiler GSX600 into my bum-crack, are rather painful too! It's not just small displacement bikes, at the end of the day. The engine CC is just that, the size of hole in the engine where fire happens, it has little or no corroboration to the ergonomic dimensions of bum-to-bar-to-footpeg, which are still not related even to the quoted seat-height, and skewed by things like the width of the saddle, the distance between tank and bum-stop, or, as Honda H100 tail-lamp! Guzzi's having cylinders poking out the side under the tank, the shape of the tanbk, and the shape of the saddle, etc etc etc.

I fell for my VF1000 twenty odd years ago, because that DID just seem to fit me, with a 32" seat height and a goodly stretch to the bars... but, reviewing old photo's, seems even on that, my lanky frame meant I looked a bit like a circus bear on a tricycle!!!

Intriguingly, that prejudice against small cc bikes remained with me many decades, and even as a proponent of small-cc bikes, I would use the 125 about town and for short hops, and the big-un for longer hauls; a few longer hauls on the 125 trailing our Snowie about on L's, re-enforced that pre-conception, and it wasn't until the daughter had me batting hither and dither to and fro across the county and city trying to find her the 'perfect' Prom-Gown, after showing me a photo and convincing me to 'pop' just 14 miles to go 'get' one, on the Seven-Fifty, I got home, aching like bludgery, I sort of reconsidered and concluded that its not really the BIKE that makes it uncomfy, but the type of riding; and stressed at, well, 'Shopping' with a woman.... worse, one armed with a smart-phone!!!! IS there a difference between Fusia and puce? Lol! And IS it really THAT big a deal? But it IS so much more the roads, the traffic and the stress that determine the comfort and endurance level, not even bum-bar-pag dimensions!

Don't sweat the small-stuff... and this issue, either finding school with suitable bikes, or finding suitable bike to buy, IS in the grander scheme of stuff, small-stuff.

A more comfy bike will be more comfy... but... if you is going to ride one? Soft bit on the out-side... in the rain, in the wind, in the ovlov line of fire.... you are going to be uncomfy, probably very much so, for more than the couple of hours it takes to pass a test... if you want comfy? Hire a limo and let some other duffer take the strain, if not? Get used.. its just one small bit of the whole.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 34 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1