Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:11 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

Is it very unlikely / possible / probable that Aldi and Lidl outlets would close in the event of a no deal, hard brexit situation?

I'm really not sure but I was thinking that these two companies seem to have flourished since we've become more integrated with Europe.

I wondered if this is because they can import their fresh produce more quickly and cheaply than ever before.

If we return to a situation where boarders become far less open, would it fuck their business model up?
____________________
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent."

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:17 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they close?

Especially if we become so poor as the remainers are saying, that we are eating grass and raiding dustbins. Then cheap supermarkets are going to do better and better.

They'll still find a way to undercut Tescos and co.
____________________
Triumph Trophy Launch Edition
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:18 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have stores in other countries which aren't in the EU, they are just a globalised business like McDonalds
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnnythefox
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Dec 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Aldi/Lidl food products are made in the UK. The Caledonian cheddar is to be recommended.

Last edited by Johnnythefox on 11:57 - 28 Mar 2019; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion



Joined: 14 Oct 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:37 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends how well they have prepared.

They will end up with delays the same as everyone, I'd imagine it can be managed.

Personally I don't see it being likely to cause them serious issues.
____________________
1993 RF400R - 2002 Bandit 1200 - 2012 1250 FA
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

The only things likely to close are those either run by the EU or with massive amounts of money from the EU. The CBI might close Laughing
____________________
I have taken every effort to trigger you with nano-aggressions
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mpd72
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Is it very unlikely / possible / probable that Aldi and Lidl outlets would close in the event of a no deal, hard brexit situation?

I'm really not sure but I was thinking that these two companies seem to have flourished since we've become more integrated with Europe.

I wondered if this is because they can import their fresh produce more quickly and cheaply than ever before.

If we return to a situation where boarders become far less open, would it fuck their business model up?


Yeah, all foreign companies will pull out, including Maccy D's.
FFS, really? Laughing

A lot of Aldi's fresh goods come from the UK and any imported from the EU will only incur a small import tarrif if at all.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/about-aldi/corporate-responsibility/suppliers/back-british-farming

These European firms are not going to abandon the largest single market in Europe just because they MAY end up paying a small import tariff.

How do you think we get cheaper lamb from New Zealand than English lamb?
____________________
TZR250 2MA road, TZR250 1KT road, TZR250 2MA race, TDR250, YZF-750R Boost colours.
Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Sport R, VW Transporter T5 GP LWB Shuttle 140ps DSG.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:44 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:


How do you think we get cheaper lamb from New Zealand than English lamb?


...because sheep farms in New Zealand are much larger and can produce lamb at significantly less cost to the farmer per unit than we can, significant enough at the moment to overcome the additional cost of distribution.
____________________
Now - Speed Triple, old ratty GS550, GSXR750M
Gone (in order of ownership) - Raleigh Runabout, AP50, KH125, GP125, KH250, CBX550, Z400, CB750FII, 250LC, GS550, ZXR750H1, Guzzi Targa, GSX750F, KH250 x2, Bimota SB6R and counting...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:04 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
I was thinking that these two companies seem to have flourished since we've become more integrated with Europe.

They've flourished since the very first day they opened stores in the UK.

I've always attributed that to their aggressive discounting that undercuts the big supermarkets and it's only now can that I see how their success was because of the UK being in the EU.

Their business model will be totally fucked post Brexit because there won't be any food on the shelves for them to aggressively discount. Dance!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mpd72
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:07 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:


How do you think we get cheaper lamb from New Zealand than English lamb?


...because sheep farms in New Zealand are much larger and can produce lamb at significantly less cost to the farmer per unit than we can, significant enough at the moment to overcome the additional cost of distribution.


And..... come on, you're nearly there Tarquin....., And even transporting heavy goods from the other side of the planet, from a country we have no free trade deals with, so having to pay import duty on, is still competitive and clearly not the issue the Remoaners would like us to believe.

2/10 for effort.
____________________
TZR250 2MA road, TZR250 1KT road, TZR250 2MA race, TDR250, YZF-750R Boost colours.
Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Sport R, VW Transporter T5 GP LWB Shuttle 140ps DSG.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:39 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project fear: Yes, and there will be no food, and it is imaginary unicorn.

Everyone else: No.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:17 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:


And..... come on, you're nearly there Tarquin....., And even transporting heavy goods from the other side of the planet, from a country we have no free trade deals with, so having to pay import duty on, is still competitive and clearly not the issue the Remoaners would like us to believe.

2/10 for effort.


Do I increase my mark by pointing out that this isn't sustainable because of the rising cost of fuel, and that regardless of Brexit we will reach a point where we have to either accept that lamb becomes a luxury product, or we manipulate the market in the UK to make its production cheaper at the expense of something else?

I'm not sure you understand the economic argument as well as you think you do.
____________________
Now - Speed Triple, old ratty GS550, GSXR750M
Gone (in order of ownership) - Raleigh Runabout, AP50, KH125, GP125, KH250, CBX550, Z400, CB750FII, 250LC, GS550, ZXR750H1, Guzzi Targa, GSX750F, KH250 x2, Bimota SB6R and counting...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mpd72
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:


And..... come on, you're nearly there Tarquin....., And even transporting heavy goods from the other side of the planet, from a country we have no free trade deals with, so having to pay import duty on, is still competitive and clearly not the issue the Remoaners would like us to believe.

2/10 for effort.


Do I increase my mark by pointing out that this isn't sustainable because of the rising cost of fuel, and that regardless of Brexit we will reach a point where we have to either accept that lamb becomes a luxury product, or we manipulate the market in the UK to make its production cheaper at the expense of something else?

I'm not sure you understand the economic argument as well as you think you do.


Oh fuck me, you’re back onto Caroline Lucas on horseback again!
What utter nonsense. Science moves on Tarquin. 100 years ago ludites like you thought we’d be decked when coal ran out. Guess what? We found a cheaper, cleaner energy source.

Horses emit more CO2 than an ICE car per KM.
____________________
TZR250 2MA road, TZR250 1KT road, TZR250 2MA race, TDR250, YZF-750R Boost colours.
Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Sport R, VW Transporter T5 GP LWB Shuttle 140ps DSG.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:36 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
mpd72 CPT wrote:


And..... come on, you're nearly there Tarquin....., And even transporting heavy goods from the other side of the planet, from a country we have no free trade deals with, so having to pay import duty on, is still competitive and clearly not the issue the Remoaners would like us to believe.

2/10 for effort.


Do I increase my mark by pointing out that this isn't sustainable because of the rising cost of fuel, and that regardless of Brexit we will reach a point where we have to either accept that lamb becomes a luxury product, or we manipulate the market in the UK to make its production cheaper at the expense of something else?

I'm not sure you understand the economic argument as well as you think you do.


Agriculture is subsidised across most of the developed world. Did you not notice? Laughing
____________________
I have taken every effort to trigger you with nano-aggressions
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially in France...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Especially in France...


And UK. I have a far removed asshole of a cousin (married side) who owns a farm in East Anglia. He rubs anyones nose in it who listens about how they paid for his Range Rover/Extension/Tractor with their tax subsidising his farm.

He also has some fields put aside for whatever crop has the biggest subsidies that year (it changes regularly I gather.)
____________________
Triumph Trophy Launch Edition
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion



Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:12 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not go there.

Any farmer who owns land in East Anglia, the fens, Lincolnshire is rich. Fin.

Anyway it won't matter if we leave with no deal. The UK will self destruct. I know because Val told me so Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Nov 2012
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:16 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Is it very unlikely / possible / probable that Aldi and Lidl outlets would close in the event of a no deal, hard brexit situation?

I'm really not sure but I was thinking that these two companies seem to have flourished since we've become more integrated with Europe.

I wondered if this is because they can import their fresh produce more quickly and cheaply than ever before.

If we return to a situation where boarders become far less open, would it fuck their business model up?


Not likely. In the event of no deal government emergency plan is to make 0% import tariffs.

The only problem will be for UK consumers. Aldi and all others like Asda, Tesco will start importing cheap shit from US and China.

Which literally means UK consumer will eat shit. US FDA lower standards allow up to an average of 3 milligrams of rat poop per pound.

Also that means the end of British farming and any industry like steel, cars, aerospace. Because EU will have 45% tariffs on UK farming goods.

Importing fresh produce will affect all in same way including Tesco.

Supply chain issues will affect more manufacturing then food retailers.

Having said all that there is not even remote chance No deal to happen. There is no UK government that will allow that. Even if May tries Parliament will just revoke article 50.

No deal is so devastating on the UK no chance this will be allowed to happen.

Also happy Remain day! Tomorrow is 29 March the day we are still staying in the EU. Laughing

Me and some elitist friends ere will be poping up the cork at 11pm.
____________________
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not...
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/606131.png
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to wonder then, how anyone survives outside of the EU while having to eat rat shit, no fresh food, no cars.... It must have been tough growing up in Bulgaria.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:


Agriculture is subsidised across most of the developed world. Did you not notice? Laughing


I did. Most of ours comes from the CAP, which once we have left the EU for good our Government will have to make up, otherwise the cost of home-reared lamb will skyrocket. Part of the argument for us leaving is that we will buy more home-produced food, and that is a good thing. Trouble is, in order for our home-grown food to remain the same price in shops, our Government will have to replace the CAP at an opportunity cost elsewhere in the economy.

Lamb is a good example of a food that will go up in price unless the industry remains subsidised. Mdma's view that we will continue to import lamb from New Zealand at no extra cost is nonsense unless we find another way of transporting it as cheaply as we do now.
____________________
Now - Speed Triple, old ratty GS550, GSXR750M
Gone (in order of ownership) - Raleigh Runabout, AP50, KH125, GP125, KH250, CBX550, Z400, CB750FII, 250LC, GS550, ZXR750H1, Guzzi Targa, GSX750F, KH250 x2, Bimota SB6R and counting...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mpd72
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:00 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who do you think funds the EU CAP?

As for oil powered ships being the cheapest form of transport which will ever exist? Funny guy.
____________________
TZR250 2MA road, TZR250 1KT road, TZR250 2MA race, TDR250, YZF-750R Boost colours.
Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Sport R, VW Transporter T5 GP LWB Shuttle 140ps DSG.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip YFPOS
Formerly known as
chickenstrip



Joined: 06 Dec 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Re: quick brexit-related question RE aldi and lidl Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:


Lamb is a good example of a food that will go up in price unless the industry remains subsidised.


I've refused to buy lamb for years now because it's so expensive, wherever the fuck it comes from. Soon, you will be able to appreciate my world! Laughing
____________________
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:07 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 CPT wrote:
And who do you think funds the EU CAP?

As for oil powered ships being the cheapest form of transport which will ever exist? Funny guy.


You seem to think that leaving the EU will make lamb cheaper because we will buy our own, then argue that we'll continue to import it.

Part of the argument for leaving the EU is because we are net contributors, ignoring the less tangible benefits. If we simply spend our money on replacing CAP funding, this makes the argument weaker.

As somebody who works in the industry albeit in an administrative capacity, you can doubtless enlighten me as to where these many millions of tonnes of cheaper ships are hiding, and why our ports aren't full of them instead.
____________________
Now - Speed Triple, old ratty GS550, GSXR750M
Gone (in order of ownership) - Raleigh Runabout, AP50, KH125, GP125, KH250, CBX550, Z400, CB750FII, 250LC, GS550, ZXR750H1, Guzzi Targa, GSX750F, KH250 x2, Bimota SB6R and counting...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mpd72
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Oct 2013
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:25 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:


You seem to think that leaving the EU will make lamb cheaper because we will buy our own, then argue that we'll continue to import it.


Bullshit. That's not what I said at all is it? Making stuff up now to try to win the debate? Tut Tut

The point I'm actually making, which you're fully aware of, but choose to ignore because it defeats your argument, is that even if we leave the EU and get tariffs on food, it's not the end of the world. It will not make an awful lot of difference if we can import lamb from the other side of the world and pay tariffs on it, for cheaper than we can produce in the UK.

Diggs wrote:
Part of the argument for leaving the EU is because we are net contributors, ignoring the less tangible benefits. If we simply spend our money on replacing CAP funding, this makes the argument weaker.


More bollocks. You are fully aware that our net contribution is well into the billions. We do not put in the same amount they give us back in subsidies as you're fully aware, but once again ignoring because it doesn't fit your agenda.

Diggs wrote:
As somebody who works in the industry albeit in an administrative capacity, you can doubtless enlighten me as to where these many millions of tonnes of cheaper ships are hiding, and why our ports aren't full of them instead.


Not this shit again. Your ridiculous argument has been blown out of the water time and time again on here by many posters. You seem to assume science has finished finding suitable energy sources for transport with fossil fuels. Like I keep saying, at one time we thought we were fucked when coal ran out and then we found a better source. We already have nuclear powered aircraft carriers and solar is moving on. Science will find a way, there will be life after oil, which going by the militant junior Snowflakes and their bunking off school to push left wing propagandaStriking, may happen sooner that you think.
____________________
TZR250 2MA road, TZR250 1KT road, TZR250 2MA race, TDR250, YZF-750R Boost colours.
Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 Sport R, VW Transporter T5 GP LWB Shuttle 140ps DSG.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: discovery (www) - Page Generation Time: 2.75 Sec - Server Load: 4.71 - MySQL Queries: 16 - CDN Objects: 49 - Page Size: 140.82 Kb