Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crankcase repair/replacement

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

JamS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:57 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Crankcase repair/replacement Reply with quote

Hi, I'm having a bit of a mare....

I went to change the neutral switch on my bike, had the haynes manual out, watched a couple of videos on YouTube (2 bolts, easy job I thought), but nope - the lower bolt hole has oil pouring out of it. The bolt came out with lots of bits of metal stuck in the threads, followed by a lot of oil, so i'm assuming this has been damaged previously. I've had the bike about 10 months and this is the first time i've removed this bolt. What I thought was going to be a 20 minute job has turned into a complete nightmare!

My father in law is coming up to have a look - he's had more bikes that I can count and has loads of experience in this kind of thing, but i'm getting the impression that the crankcase might need to be replaced or maybe taken apart and welded - will see what he says when he gets here.

My question is - for a CBF125 that's worth about £1300, what am I likely to get charged to get it fixed and is it even worth it? I'm absolutely gutted, just passed my bike test and was fixing this to sell the bike and get something bigger.

Thanks for any advice!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to helicoil the hole and then the bolt will tighten just fine. If you care to give your location there might be someone local who can help.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a sump hole repair system whilst wandering aimlessly through t' Internet a couple of daze ago.
I'll check my history and revisit the page.
It wasn't the helicoil device. (Which are not exactly straight forward cures for this problem due to sealing. Experience in working with them helps. And you need to buy a kit for helicoil anyway.)

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:08 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another type of insert which is a bit stronger than a Helicoil ,is a Timesert, this can be effectively sealed into the case

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:40 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a matter of opinion, but it doesn't matter anyway since there isn't enough metal around those holes to fit a timesert.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: repair Reply with quote

Post a picture......

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:29 - 30 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/401601814662?chn=ps

I haven't used this but it looks purfick to fix a sump plug.

If you have access to the bastirt.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:57 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

That would be handy if the sump plug was stripped I suppose.

JamS
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:01 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys! Still waiting for my father in law to have a look - he's coming on Wednesday, but i'll have a look into your suggestions Smile

I can post a pic of where the issue is but you can't actually see anything, there's just a bolt hole with oil coming out of it (well not anymore!).

In the pic you can see the bottom hole which is a bit oily - I tried to clean it out and shine a light in there but it's just dark.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 31 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just needs a helicoil mate. 10 minutes work with a repair kit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30pcs-Wire-Insert-Thread-Repair-Kit-Helicoil-M6-Metric-Recoil-Insert-Set-BI829/153017487843

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Good advice, I put 3 into a CB250RS cylinder head in 20 minutes, piece of cake, a doddle to do.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:43 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
MCN wrote:

That would be handy if the sump plug was stripped I suppose.

It's even handier if one reads the fking original post.

Embarassed

I may be imagining it but it looks like there is a bit of hammer rash around that front pinion housing.

Perhaps the previous owner was not too bothered about using a hammer on his steed. Smile

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:51 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right it looks like blade damage from levering the cover off. Be lucky if that doesn't leak now.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet a previous monkey as used too long a bolt and punched a blind hole though !
Common fault on C90 cub etc can sometimes be sorted but mostly not !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another cause is someone ramming a bolt into a blind hole thats full of oil, grease, water and the hydraulic force blows the arse out of the hole. Embarassed

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:07 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On closer inspection. Is there not already a helicoil in the top hole?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1