Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

magnetic tank bags

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:40 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: magnetic tank bags Reply with quote

anyone use magnetic tank bags and can recommend a decent one? i've always used 20L tail bags but thinking of getting a tank bag once i get the new bike (triple or Z), how well do the magnetic ones work? 99% of my riding is london commuting, bit of 40mph roads, i doubt I would ever go on the motorway but it could happen, what kind of speeds are these OK up to? wouldn't be carrying anything too heavy in it - most likely clothes and towel

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's dependent on the bike as much as the bag - aerodynamics, position of the magnets relative to the shape of the tank, what it's made from, etc

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used an Ox***d one quite a lot, but I hesitate to recommend them because the zips are prone to failure, usually tearing at or near a corner where they're stitched to the bag. Otherwise they're pretty good, although not waterproof in their own right.

I've had them fairly loaded up, relying on just the magnets to hold them on, for mixed riding, no limits. Never had it even shift a bit, despite putting some of that sticky blanket stuff underneath the body (where there are no magnets). This on a Fazer 1000, flat-ish tank surface, bit of a fairing to keep the wind off a bit.

Need some care when placing on the tank, or the magnets will thump on hard.

If you're talking about a Street Triple, I found the paint to be quite soft on mine, scratched easily, and I'm sure I've heard this commented on by others. I didn't use my tank bag on my one (although it wasn't out of this consideration - just that I rarely needed to carry anything on it, and when I did, I generally preferred a tail pack anyway), but wonder if it might damage the paint. The Fazer doesn't seem to have any problems in this way.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:43 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Lidl B-square one is fine up to 150mph on a faired bike. Magnets only, I've never used the yoke strap.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of modern bikes have prastic 'tanks' or the fuel tank is just a plastic cover.
Scientists are yet to find a way to get magnets to stick to plastic. (without impregnatating it with iron.)

Look at the givi filler cap clamping system. I have this on the S1000RR. Bag locks onto the filler cap mount and there's a strap-it-on-to-me that goeas around the bars for security.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnets are good on oxford. Do make sure the magnets are clear of metal shavings before putting it on Razz

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side issue: with these do you have to be careful what you put in the tank bag? I can imagine electronics, e.g. mobile 'phones, being non too happy about being in close proximity to such powerful magnets? It's a different order of magnitude to the little ones on 'phone cases!

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:36 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little tip with magnetic tank bags is to use a non slip type may/fabric between the tank and the tank bag due to little bits getting stuck to the magnets and then scratching your tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Side issue: with these do you have to be careful what you put in the tank bag? I can imagine electronics, e.g. mobile 'phones, being non too happy about being in close proximity to such powerful magnets? It's a different order of magnitude to the little ones on 'phone cases!

No, imagine better next time Laughing

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:30 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

thanks all, those Givi tank lock ones look pretty good so will probably invest once I change my bike over to the STR or Z800, for now just want something cheapy cheap for the old 02 cbr f4i so was thinking a magnetic one, I do have US10 and US20 tailbags and saw there is an adaptor but couldn't see anywhere obvious to fix this on the cbr and I don't think they do a magnetic adaptor for the US10 or US20

was thinking a 10-15L oxford magnetic one or a similar cheapy cheap one.

reason I don't really like tailbags is because I wear a backpack too and the way it rests on the tailbag is uncomfortable and forces you to move forward on the seat which is even worse, would get a topbox but they look Sick

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:

No, imagine better next time Laughing

Well thanks for that. It was entirely reckless of you Sir.
I just spurted a mouthful of Scot's Porridge Oats at my screen there.

Mods: I think there should be a sticky tag for this sort of irresponsible shit.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:40 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had a second hand oxford 38L one for quite a while, make sure it has the separate rain cover with it. Decent enough for the price, nice room and does not budge at high speed.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:00 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Ive had a second hand oxford 38L one for quite a while, make sure it has the separate rain cover with it. Decent enough for the price, nice room and does not budge at high speed.

what can you fit in the 38L out of interest?

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:05 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
Tdibs wrote:

what can you fit in the 38L out of interest?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71ncexBhXwL._SX466_.jpg

A lot of stuff Laughing

Can expand it upwards a lot, 3 side pockets that can be removed, and on the bottom under a zip are two backpack straps, so you can wear it as a backpack.

For touring though I have all sorts in there. Earplugs and visor spray, all documents, phone, some tools, snacks, camera, sometimes spare gloves etc. Just handy to have the space if you need to throw something in quick and cant be arsed to put it anywhere else.

Im thinking for my new bike though, of putting a clear vinyl wrap on the tank to prevent any scratching. Anyone tried that? Something like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLdK3Bvldt4

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:20 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

is the 38L just the bottom half of the stack which you have zipper together or the whole stack as it is now? that is ALOT of space, I only need space for shorts, tshirt, towel, socks and pants so thinking a 10-15L will do the job, I can fit it all in my US10, stupid idea but couldn't I just buy a magnet and stick it in the bottom of the US10 Neutral

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:06 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the whole stack. Just a zip to let it expand upwards or to keep it compact. Any of those expanding tankbags are going to be pretty similar to each other though. Think its starts getting a lot more ££ for the tank ring ones.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:38 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used a magnetic one for years from Oxford, worked well enough. In some really fekkin awful sideways gales it kept being blown off when I didnt have enough in it to hold it down.

Since getting a bike with a plastic tank, Ive switched to Givi tanklock and find it much better. I've always thought the oxford one, whilst functional, looked a bit Fisher Price Babies First Motorbike range. The Givi looks much nicer and feels a lot sturdier.Not much difference in the price either, I think I paid about £50 for the Oxford one and £70 for the Givi.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:14 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
thanks all, those Givi tank lock ones look pretty good so will probably invest once I change my bike over to the STR or Z800, for now just want something cheapy cheap for the old 02 cbr f4i so was thinking a magnetic one, I do have US10 and US20 tailbags and saw there is an adaptor but couldn't see anywhere obvious to fix this on the cbr and I don't think they do a magnetic adaptor for the US10 or US20

was thinking a 10-15L oxford magnetic one or a similar cheapy cheap one.

reason I don't really like tailbags is because I wear a backpack too and the way it rests on the tailbag is uncomfortable and forces you to move forward on the seat which is even worse, would get a topbox but they look Sick

There’s a video of how to fit Kriega here, if adhesive Velcro won't stick onto frame, stick it to underside of seat, if you can't get the top straps round the frame between the tank, then run them round the headstock. If you already have a US10 it makes sense, and is your tank not plastic? The other consideration is a magnetic tank bag can be easily removed from the bike, whilst you are sitting at traffic lights etc, depending on the city you live in.

https://youtu.be/HRKbJe2Tvrc

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Well thanks for that. It was entirely reckless of you Sir.
I just spurted a mouthful of Scot's Porridge Oats at my screen there.

Mods: I think there should be a sticky tag for this sort of irresponsible shit.

I hope yer parritch was made wi salt and watter.

I got the oxford f1 18 litre online for about £35 last year, I was paranoid and used the extra strap, now I wouldn't bother as it's never budged. It's not waterproof but did come with a water resistant inner bag.

If you were loading a bigger pack with heavy items I'd consider using the extra straps.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll not use magnetic tank bags or map holders again.

Spent a small fortune on one a few years back, the wind got under it and floated it right off the bike.

I was going at a bit of a rate, so it took a few dozen yards to stop - I reckon the car behind (or going in the other direction) must have stopped and picked it up, cos I couldn't find the damn thing anywhere.

Since then it's always been a bungee job.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:16 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

There’s a video of how to fit Kriega here, if adhesive Velcro won't stick onto frame, stick it to underside of seat, if you can't get the top straps round the frame between the tank, then run them round the headstock. If you already have a US10 it makes sense, and is your tank not plastic? The other consideration is a magnetic tank bag can be easily removed from the bike, whilst you are sitting at traffic lights etc, depending on the city you live in.

https://youtu.be/HRKbJe2Tvrc[/quote]

I'm wondering if instead of the top straps if I could velcro at both ends? I looked on the CBR and I really can't find anywhere secure that the loop straps could go around, it is a 02 CBR f4i so has a steel tank I believe. I would prefer to go with the US10 or US20 as they are good quality and I already have them, you reckon to only use velcro at both ends to keep secure would work or a bit risky?

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:41 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:

I'm wondering if instead of the top straps if I could velcro at both ends? I looked on the CBR and I really can't find anywhere secure that the loop straps could go around, it is a 02 CBR f4i so has a steel tank I believe. I would prefer to go with the US10 or US20 as they are good quality and I already have them, you reckon to only use velcro at both ends to keep secure would work or a bit risky?

I don't think the front straps have any Velcro, but the kit comes with some straps that you could wrap round the headstock, or between frame and tank and attach front straps to that, as for the rear, as long as the area is throughly degreased, then the chances of both failing at once is remote.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the same expandable tank bag since '96 and it works perfectly.
I recollect that I bought it from M&P and the magnets hold the tank bag to any of my steel tanks like a limpet mine.
It is capable of three different sizes and the zips still work like they did when I first bought it.The only failing has been the original plastic rain cover,but this is easily replaced by using a decent sized plastic bag.
For years I have been using a sheet of soft material to stop scratches.

https://oi666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Biking%20Abroad/Picture016_zpsef556bfb.jpg~original

Always have a 'Plan B'

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:46 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
I have been using the same expandable tank bag since '96 and it works perfectly.
I recollect that I bought it from M&P and the magnets hold the tank bag to any of my steel tanks like a limpet mine.
It is capable of three different sizes and the zips still work like they did when I first bought it.The only failing has been the original plastic rain cover,but this is easily replaced by using a decent sized plastic bag.
For years I have been using a sheet of soft material to stop scratches.

https://oi666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Biking%20Abroad/Picture016_zpsef556bfb.jpg~original

cheers fizzer, that setup looks ideal! what litre size is that tank bag? looks a decent size for a change of clothes, will take a look on M&P too
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 32 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1