Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

'Polite' vests

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Do you wear a vest with 'Polite' on the back intended to look like a Police vest?
Yes
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
No
13%
 13%  [ 16 ]
No, I'd rather rub myself with the still warm hide of a recently diceased syphilitic donkey
84%
 84%  [ 100 ]
Total Votes : 119

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stories, bros.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 01 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the car I overtake them then blast them with screenwash for imitating police officers.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:15 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that description I thought you were still high.

If it's any help: J&S at Gateshead sell the things. One day I simply pointed at the rack of them and the staff began 'hurr hurring' because it seems that everyone visiting the shop hates them!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah spotted them in J&S Northwich and did similar; pointed and laughed.

I'll wear hi-viz vest when riding the motorways in winter, particularly at night, but the idea of one that makes you look like a copper. Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:23 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Cool stories, bros.

Bros?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
bhinso wrote:
Cool stories, bros.

Bros?

Nice Boys

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c3/The_Time_%28Bros_album%29_cover.jpeg/220px-The_Time_%28Bros_album%29_cover.jpeg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:29 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd rather discover that my vasectomy was a failure and have to go through the whole bollock-tampering experience again than debase myself by wearing a wanker-vest (tm)

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come the hi viz is £39.99 but the vest only £2.90?

Bargin Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:14 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a look at them then you'll discover why. Razz

RS65
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:11 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one, I won't have one, but I couldn't care less if someone else wants to wear one. I don't get wound up by what other people wear, how they look, or what bike they ride. There are better things for me to focus my mind on.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:20 - 08 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS65 wrote:
I don't have one, I won't have one, but I couldn't care less if someone else wants to wear one. I don't get wound up by what other people wear, how they look, or what bike they ride. There are better things for me to focus my mind on.

Wow thanks for that opinion!! Don't you think it's the height of hubris to think it's OK to try to impersonate a police officer?

kingmunky
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:02 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day I saw a rider with black/white squares on the side of their white helmet (a la police fashion), but the words were "Piss Off" instead of Police.

Still lump them with the POLITE vest crew, but it gave me a wee chuckle. Very Happy

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polite vests are a good indication of a particular kind of wanker living out a fantasy and are best avoided. They serve this purpose well.

If only car drivers had the same freedom to mark their vehicle to denote them as a police fantasist. At least a lone rider is unlikely to attempt a vehiclejacking.

RS65
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:35 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow thanks for that opinion!! Don't you think it's the height of hubris to think it's OK to try to impersonate a police officer?[/quote]

No I don't think they are impersonating a police officer by simply wearing a polite vest. However if other suggestive clothing, helmet, bike markings etc were present, then this would be different.
I also don't think a horserider on a country lane wearing a polite vest, is impersonating a police officer, but if makes drivers, riders and cyclists pass more carefully then that is a good thing.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingmunky wrote:
The other day I saw a rider with black/white squares on the side of their white helmet (a la police fashion), but the words were "Piss Off" instead of Police.

Still lump them with the POLITE vest crew, but it gave me a wee chuckle. Very Happy

The Polite vest riles me because it communicates a conceited finger wagging while the Piss Off reflects what I think when I see a traffic copper so probably would make me chuckle.
I think very different people would wear them.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fecking hate them... I have a panic reaction to brake heavily when I see police, even though i'm 100% always going the speed limit. I think they're dangerous, and when I realise it's a Polite vest I always think "Fucking Bellend!"

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
even though i'm 100% always going the speed limit.

Liar

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:32 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS65 wrote:

No I don't think they are impersonating a police officer by simply wearing a polite vest. However if other suggestive clothing, helmet, bike markings etc were present, then this would be different.
I also don't think a horserider on a country lane wearing a polite vest, is impersonating a police officer, but if makes drivers, riders and cyclists pass more carefully then that is a good thing.

Ok, then tell me why the word POLITE is written in large letters on a high viz, with other words written a lot smaller underneath including a battenberg type pattern?

Can you explain why it's better to have the words on it in this configuration than just having a plain high vis if they aren't trying to trigger an "Oh sh*t it's the police" reaction? Because I can't.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
I fecking hate them... I have a panic reaction to brake heavily when I see police, even though i'm 100% always going the speed limit. I think they're dangerous, and when I realise it's a Polite vest I always think "Fucking Bellend!"

I expect 99% of the population do that instinctively on seeing a copper and then check their speed so I agree, it could be classed as dangerous.

RS65
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:47 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I do not who came up with the idea for polite vests, or the reasoning behind it so cannot answer your question. Did see commuting cyclists with them in late 2000's so they have been on the go some time. Never wanted one and still don't, but each to their own.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:09 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS65 wrote:
Unfortunately I do not who came up with the idea for polite vests, or the reasoning behind it so cannot answer your question. Did see commuting cyclists with them in late 2000's so they have been on the go some time. Never wanted one and still don't, but each to their own.

Well surely it's obvious? Surely there is no other reason than to make people think you're a police officer, and therefore anyone wearing one is making (albeit half heartedly) an attempt at impersonating a police officer. I know that the police do take a massively dim view of it, and will do you for something if they pull you over but can't really do you for that specifically.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:53 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said on another thread, it was funny when we started wearing hi viz with polite back in the nineties, but we were at raves and were wearing pig snouts as well.

There's no good reason why they have that configuration of letters and blue squares other than trying to replicate police gear.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:15 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
anyone wearing one is making (albeit half heartedly) an attempt at impersonating a police officer. I know that the police do take a massively dim view of it, and will do you for something if they pull you over but can't really do you for that specifically.

That seems to be the case, but unfortunately the police do often actually promote their use!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:24 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

POLITE
Notice:

YFPOS.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:14 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
MarJay wrote:
anyone wearing one is making (albeit half heartedly) an attempt at impersonating a police officer. I know that the police do take a massively dim view of it, and will do you for something if they pull you over but can't really do you for that specifically.

That seems to be the case, but unfortunately the police do often actually promote their use!

I think the police promote the use of generic High Viz, but I've seen more than one 'official spokesman' attack the 'polite' style vests...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3