Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

File sharing. Sort of.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: File sharing. Sort of. Reply with quote

OK I've never been a geek with computers and I need some SIMPLE help. See that? SIMPLE.

OK my problem:
Sometimes a I need to share files with people. A file can be anything from a simple page scan to a folder with 2 gig of random photos in it.

My requirements are it has to free (everything does!).
I need something I can drop a file onto and a friend can go to that site and simply download at their end.
It has to be secure - the images are often quite valuable and I can't afford a leak which would destroy its value - no not rude pics. Just rare images. (I'd use Flickr but others can see stuff for example).
No paid subscriptions.
The maximum space needed at any one time would be no more than 3 gig.

The sharing page would be used at random as and when needed.
I don't want to use DropBox or Google Drive.
Are there others that are easy and secure out there??

Cheers from a simple man.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcloud?

https://www.pcloud.com/

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: File sharing. Sort of. Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I don't want to use DropBox or Google Drive.

Why not, though? Because what you've described would be absolutely ideal for those. Really simple too.
Whatever your reason is, isn't it going to apply to whatever anyone might suggest, as well??

SpeedyCBR1100
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:53 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeTransfer may help, but it does not send to the cloud. It merely allows you to send large files (up to 2Gb is free.) via email.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see why you wouldn't want to use GoogleDrive or Dropbox, but Microsoft also have a similar thing called OneDrive. Use that or search the web for some shitty alternative to those three that are decent, free and established.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use those two for other stuff (Google Drive and Drop Box) and simply want to keep things simple and separate. I don't do one thing in life - I literally run 4 things at any one point for actual work and my tiny brain can't keep up. This is just something to one side I can use for one simple use that's all.
For me it's far easier to shove one work and it's components to one side and drag in another pile of similar components for another separate job if that makes sense?
I'm probably dyslexic but it works for me!

The current need for a system has come about because I'm literally accessing archival data that could well have been lost if it'd not happened now. This stuff is being hauled out of community center cupboards and an old blokes own collection (he's not got long left and is helping us).
It was data compiled for certain uses but they've lapsed over a decade ago. It's like I've stumbled upon an Aladins Cave of old files, documents and important historical information.
I need to spread it over to another person (mate) who's just as nuts as me for collecting this kind of sh*t - you know those books Fred Dibnah had with old drawings? It's as important as those and some more. There are old images that have never been seen before and they're so special to a certain village here.
It needs spreading between my friend and myself because if one of us dies then the data and its importance survives.
Museums are sh*t with stuff like this - I've worked on important projects that were lottery funded and brought in English Nature, English Heritage etc and despite arranging searches of databases at museums they just failed to deliver. Documents at a lot of sites are being lost on a huge scale (p*sses me right off). Other images and documents are scanned into digital databases and completely mis-labelled.
Keeping things like this more local and in the correct location keeps the information accessible through either my friend or myself - locals know us for providing the information they seek. We do not charge money for this service and only seek to educate and help people. The information is relevant to a small valley area in the North East of England.

The valuable images thing? There's a 'rival' team up here who produce videos and sell them. They openly steal images (they've used my own family photos - two without asking. Grabbed from FB when I was on that) then claim as their own and make money from it for their own gain. Absolute scum they are. I need to keep this stuff away from those people as best I can. Obviously nothing is completely leak proof but I do try. I do also understand a local might leak an image to them but it's a risk I'll take.

A huge amount of waffle there and just explaining it all. I just need to keep it separate from my normal work..
That first link is awesome and I'll go with that cheers!

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just have more than one Google account.

Free storage companies tend to go out of business or scrap their free services after a year or two because the cost is so high in storage and bandwidth and it brings in next to no revenue. Ideally there would be a national system for this but government is a bit technophobic, but give it 50 years and it will probably be bought in.

If you can make one big batch you could just use a USB drive £8 for 64GB, £14 for 128GB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 02 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WeTransfer. Requires email addresses though.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
WeTransfer. Requires email addresses though.

You can either put email addresses into the WeTransfer page, or get it to generate a url which you can then copy and send to whoever without putting their addresses in.

2GB max though.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:02 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get not wanting to spend money...
however sometimes you cany have everything you want and for free.

you needs a simple and secure means to share files with peoples ?
look on ebay for a second hand Synology unit.
if you can find one without a HD i can send you a 2nd hand drive to keep costs down.

they have a very nice app built in called FileStation.

you can select files to share, create a one off randomized type link.
password protects it..
set an expiry date etc and so forth.

for example
https://maxlan.synology.me:7001/sharing/Ew5EEddXX
password is nobcat

or you can set up users and then give them access to folders etc.
you can also enable ftp access for people who would rather get stuff that way.

any you can use a dynamic DNS type url so if your IP changes it dosnt matter.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn to cd/dvd and post it...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, alternatively, make your own owncloud installation. Very easy to do

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onedrive. 5GB free limit, upload file, select share option and give the person the share address. Delete when necessary.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set up Pcloud yesterday and uploaded a 1 gig and a 500mb folder. Both were complete mixes of everything (I know - a folder is anything).
Once onto the site it allowed me to create an invite link for those folders - was basically like a small letter on the page that I put an email addy into and some short wording to tell my friend to let me know it could be used.
Last night my mate messaged back. It worked seamlessly. He was able to download at his end easily using the link invite and it was fast. All data is there for him.
I'm thrilled with it. The data I'm now accessing is a fair whack. Lots isn't in digital format but lots is - imagine 2 x 4 drawer filing cabinets stuffed with CDs of files and you get the idea of the task ahead. That's just in one cupboard. The old fella had to store a lot at his daughters house too because his flat was becoming dangerous.

In the past I used to send a resized copy of say an image via email to my friend and either post CDs or hand them over when we'd meet. It wasn't practical at all.

Those other things - I'll look into them and will definitely consider them. They do sound interesting.
I'm not all clued-up with PCs but do try to suss them.
Me and PCs? I was at school when they first came into education. I didn't do computer studies because I thought they were sh*te (yeah I know - silly) and I only got into learning this once my child got to aged 8. He would be doing computing at school and I wouldn't be able to answer even basic questions if he had homework. I did some night classes to at least know how to switch one on!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found pcloud useful Thumbs Up

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon s3.

Ive set up a couple of companies recently for exactly the reasons you mention.

Free as long as you stay uinder 5Gb
If you pay for a third party app (Expandrive) you can map the S3 drive on your laptop and it just appears as a drive. You and another user with the expandrive app can just chuck stuff in and pull stuff out as you see fit.

You can also control the permissions on each folder so a different folder for each client etc.

Not very user friendly to set up because amazon... But once its up and running, its brill.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://send.firefox.com/

Upload small files and get a download limited or time limited link to email someone.

Register for a free Firefox account and upload up to 2.5gigs and have more control of the download/time limits.

Almost totally idiot proof and easy to use.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1