Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do speed camera vans have cameras in the front ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

AzzA1990
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:05 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Do speed camera vans have cameras in the front ? Reply with quote

Good evening all, i today was coming out of a corner on my bike and there was a a big yellow speed camera van that i instantly noticed the front of the van was facing toward the front of my bike coming out of the corner, i immediately slowed down and passed the van at 40mph (50mh road) i could see the cameras hanging out of the back doors of the van in my mirrors but by that time i was well below the speed limit, to be fair i don't even think i was above it anyway but there is always that worry you know?

Many thanks!

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen plenty that have them front & back..

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of then have.

And they have a Pie Eatin' Fat Bastirt in the back too.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 03 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front camera is usually for catching bikes (numberplate) after they have gone head on towards the rear of the van.

I think you will be fine in this instance, feedback in 2-3 weeks,

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 10% +2

ಠ_ಠ

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up here they have side windows too.
I'm currently expecting an invite to talk to magistrates..

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Most of then have.

And they have a Pie Eatin' Fat Bastirt in the back too.

I've noticed that too !.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As is often said:

When the sun comes out.
So do those fuckers...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but each of the cameras around the van (often all around) could identify you as speeding, but the open window one is the one they use for evidence of the actual speed. I seem to remember something about the police issuing guidance to speed camera operators that they had to use a laser-equipped camera not obscured by a window, aimed at your vehicle by someone. If I understood it correctly, the other camera footage (not operated by the operator) could be used to reinforce evidence that it was your vehicle, and not somebody else's, that was speeding. But the aimed camera through the open window with its built-in speed thing is the only one that can be used to evidence your speed.

The way this works in practice, the way I understood it, is that the digital automatic cameras highlight or ping a speeding road user on his way, and alert the operator. The operator then has to physically put down the pie and get in his chair at the back (or front, or side, whichever has the open window), aim his camera at you and take a snapshot. If that camera shows you were speeding, the other cameras' evidence will be used to support the prosecution. But if it doesn't, then no action will be taken.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The operator then has to physically put down the pie and get in his chair at the back (or front, or side, whichever has the open window), aim his camera at you and take a snapshot. If that camera shows you were speeding, the other cameras' evidence will be used to support the prosecution. But if it doesn't, then no action will be taken.

If that's the case that has saved me a few times! I scrubbed my speed before he could finish his pie and move. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 04 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
Inb4 10% +2

Having relished the opperchancity to avoid points and paid the bribe to do the training on at least two occasions. (I'm a slow learner obviously) I know the Ex PoPo have advised the 'guidline' of police authorities (in England) is the posted speed limit plus 10% plus 1mph. A 70 limit would then require a speed above 78mph (extrapolate for other zones).

This is only guideline. It is not the law. The law states a speed limit if it can be proven you exceeded by any amount you get the jail.

The devil in in proving the crime.

It requires a burden of evidence and can be difficult to prove slight infringements.

So they let you break the law by a whopping margin so any argument on details becomes redundant.

Just don't go over the 'allowance'. But conditions can be judged to be unsuitable for speed With in the limit too. Then it's careless driving etc. Which get a public stoning.

mvmickey
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:51 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was nicked last year 3 nice clear plctures of me speeding and one smaller one of my number plate taken as ild just gone past the van,🙄
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:06 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
However one of my drivers got done doing 33mph in Cardiff. Since then I've been trying to keep it to 10% -1 when I'm outside of Kent! Clearly Cardiff disregarded the national guidelines.

Would you be able to scan and post part of the paperwork, with personal stuff obscured of course? It's just that you see people claiming they've never seen a prosecution for less than the guideline 10%+2.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
You know what I wish I'd fucking kept it cos you're not the first person that has asked to see it. When I got the letter obviously I filled it in with the driver's name and address and sent it back. If I remember correctly the bit to fill in was on the back of the letter so unless I had scanned it there was nothing for me to keep.

But I do know for fact (how much other people want to take what I say as gospel is up to them) that this 10% + 2 is a national guideline and most constabularies abide by it, but clearly not all!

This is t' Internet Big Yin.

Therefore, 'We don't believe you.' Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1