Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do you bother with valve clearances?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Do you bother with valve clearances? Reply with quote

Seems like one of those maintenance items which are often overlooked when buying used bikes and only an absolutely loved and cherished garage queen ever seems to have the service receipt of a valve job done on the bike.
Having done it myself (with the help of TeflonMike going back several years on my first ever 125 suzuki) it wasnt too hard. But that was a 125. Bigger, more complex machines it can turn into a huge chore and so i've not yet done it on my current bike.
Manual states check and inspect every 7500, I bought the bike with 10,000, no documented valve inspection, and its now on 16000 and still not inspected.
I can hear them, they dont sound clattery and they're not silent either, and the bike runs fine. Is it worth tearing it apart to check? I'm under the assumption that only very tight valves could cause an issue, while loud/clattery valves are a bit safer but obviously should be addressed if the noise is excessive. The valves on mine according to other owners get tighter with mileage, but as I said I can hear them ticking away just fine.
They are the lock nut type at least so no need to mess with shims.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:15 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike.

I used to check them regularly on my GPZ500 and they usually did need adjusting.

I checked them for the first time since it was new on my last VFR750 at 45k miles and they didn't need doing.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:21 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not until I need to. The strumpet is on 34k and I'm planning on having a look at some point in the next 10k but shim and bucket are a fucking arse to do so I'll probably take the bike off the road for a week if any need doing because its less hastle to get the train to work than reassemble and then disassemble the cams.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one of my bikes had shims, the CB500. Paid for a full service when I first bought it, it was at 56k and unknown service history. Never checked them after that. All the other bikes have been locknut, usually needed a tweak at some point. Current bike has self adjusting pushrods, so not touched them.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I keep them well within spec, religiously.
It also gives me the opportunity to check my cam chain, check that the CCT is doing its job, that the timing marks still line up, etc.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine valve wear towards tight or less gap (clearance).
The thing it effects is engine compression. If there is not enough gap due to wear the valve is not able to close perfectly so gas escapes. Not much noise as such. Rattling valves are a more serious matter.
The shimmer valves don't wear as much as older rocker arm types. There is more surface area to carry the load of the cam lobe.
24000 30000 miles is the time to check.
There is a tolerance too if the valve gaps are still sitting the tolerance then leave it till the next interval.
There were scare stories about valves in bikes but they seem to have gone away. 🤣

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never done it on a bike but I remember with old cars when I was younger checking valves. The thing I was never sure of was the use of feeler gauges because they're about "feel". I was never sure whether I was feeling the right gap. Is it too slippy is it too tight is it just right? I never knew what the goldilocks point was.

I was actually considering buying an old XK6 engine of fleabay for a couple of hundred quid so I could do some spannering on it just to see how much of a pain such things are.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember the last time I bothered with Valve clearances, my CBF has shims and I've never had them checked, might have them checked at 50K.

As I ride a bike for a living I would notice when the bike isn't running right so then I would think about things like valve clearances and changing air filters.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking clearances is easy if you can get the cover off. No reason not to at least check them at service time. If you find they are fine it costs you not much at all. If they are very tight it'll save you a burnt valve.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:30 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ball bag burster if you find a tight valve on push-rod-less engines is that the job requires the camshaft to be removed. Maybe an engine out task. Bastirt.... But again, those engines do not suffer as much wear some how.
Possibly better valve face and seat design, cooler running better fuel, oil etc.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:40 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH the arsehole isn't the head itself it's removing fairings, tank, radiator etc. just to get at the fucking head.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:44 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
TBH the arsehole isn't the head itself it's removing fairings, tank, radiator etc. just to get at the fucking head.

Lol... definitely. 3 bolts on the head cover of my bike, then two lock nuts... 5 min job almost. But then they do need checking every 5K as the engine's made of Chinesium.

Mate's Honda 650... 3 hour job to get the panels off just to check the spark plugs let alone check the clearances!

There's the question really: what would you rather have? Lock nuts you have to check all the time but it's dead easy or shims that are an all day job but only every 20k or so?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those reasons why fairings can be a royal pain in the behind...

Shim arrangements aren't necessarily that difficult to handle though, especially when they're 25mm across and the bike is air-cooled... You just need to find a way to press down the edge of the valve bucket, such as a screw-down tool, to let you pick out the shim. Either that or the folded ziptie down the spark plug hole trick. It depends on the bike. On some very old bikes, there is a gear-driven tachy that needs to be disconnected, and there is no space to get a tool in there, and a lot can go wrong when reinstalling the cams if you have to remove them.

On my XJ600N there are 8 valves, and it takes me about an hour to whip off the tank, airbox, carbs and cam cover, and measure all the clearances. I say about an hour because if anything is a bit close to the limit, the underlying shim may have to come out so you can see what it is and find a suitably-sized new one, if you haven't made a note about it (i.e. if it wasn't put in there by you). Over about 40K (of my) miles, all the shims have been replaced or moved around at least 3 times. If that seems a lot, it's probably a combo of letting the bike get hot, using high revs on every ride and having reconditioned the valves (lapping removed some material) and head once. A fairing coming on or off would add considerably to the time needed for this job... Also you usually have to do it twice: everything comes off to measure and take notes, then everything goes back on, you order your shims, ride around in the meantime, then when they come through the post you install them.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:51 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

Also you usually have to do it twice: everything comes off to measure and take notes, then everything goes back on, you order your shims, ride around in the meantime, then when they come through the post you install them.

Note for future shim taskers. It was cheaper to buy a big box of shims than it was to get a dozen of the right size (same brand, can't remember which but CMS Exeter were the supplier). Not only does it save money but old shims that are not too ropey can be measured and chucked in the correct compartment ready for the next time and you only have to mess around once as you have all the sizes you are likely to ever need.
PITA when you have shims galore to fit Kwak's and find yourself up to your elbows in a Fireblade, only to discover they have different diameter shims...

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check them as dictated by the manual for both my CG125 and CX500 - both are really easy to get to and are a simple tappet setup.

I skipped the 16k valve checks on my VFR as they're apparently rarely out of spec and mainly because I don't have the vtec tool required, didn't have the time and I was quoted 450+ for a garage to do it. I'll do it at 32k myself probably when I can afford to have the bike off the road for a bit.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I’d never own a four stroke with shim valve clearances. Taking the cams out every five minutes is inviting an engine full of muck and worn threads on the cam caps.

I do them every 8k on my 1100 (about double the recommended interval) and every couple of years on my 400 track bike (both screw and locknut).

EazyDuz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I've never done it on a bike but I remember with old cars when I was younger checking valves. The thing I was never sure of was the use of feeler gauges because they're about "feel". I was never sure whether I was feeling the right gap. Is it too slippy is it too tight is it just right? I never knew what the goldilocks point was.

I was actually considering buying an old XK6 engine of fleabay for a couple of hundred quid so I could do some spannering on it just to see how much of a pain such things are.

It is very much a muscle memory thing. I believe the correct spec should feel a bit like pulling the feeler gauge out of the middle of a phone book. Not so tight it requires a lot of force, not so loose it just slides right out. You want some resistance

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, depends on the bike. I've never bothered with the VFR (40k on the clock) because it doesn't give me cause to suspect they need attention. And Honda techs are famous for saying they've hardly ever seen them go out of spec, especially the VTEC valves.

Shitty 25 year old Aprilia though? Yeah, an energetic fart on the seat can throw those out a day after you've done the fuckers.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:19 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's no harder to check shimmed tappets and they are (in my experience) less likely to need adjusting.

All bikes are different though. The VFR750 is surprisingly easy to do considering the complexity of the motor. You whip the tank off, unbolt the airbox and the two rocker covers are looking right at you. Even if you need to change a shim, there's no camchain. You just undo the cam caps and the cam lifts right off the top of the gear drive casette.

The GPZ500 was a ballache. It has two coolant pipes which run down through the rocker cover so you need to drain the coolant and replace the o-rings on the pipes (they are garaunteed to leak if you don't). Locknut adjusters though. I used to just check those when I changed the coolant.

My MZ 660 was a piece of piss. It had tappet inspection covers. You just undid a little cap on the rocker cover and the tappet was looking right at you. Needed angled feeler guages though.

The enfield is super simple to check. You don't even need tools since I put a thumb screw on the tappet cover. Remove cover. Ensure push-rods can be rotated but not lifted up and down. Replace cover.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The VFR750 is surprisingly easy to do

Unlike the 800 VTEC....which is an absolute monster of a job.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:59 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

The VFR750 is surprisingly easy to do

Unlike the 800 VTEC....which is an absolute monster of a job.

Is it though? I'd imagine it's a monster job to adjust the tappets but I suspect it would be easy enough to check the clearances. Maybe not?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:11 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check the Ducatis periodically and have had to reshim both of them. Interestingly, both were the vertical exhaust opener. I need to check the R850R this year and I'm going to have to check the Bandit 1200 at some point. Both of those are adjusters on the rocker so should be a doddle.

It's not hard to do, it's just time consuming and a bit if a faff on some bikes.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I check the Ducatis periodically and have had to reshim both of them. Interestingly, both were the vertical exhaust opener. I need to check the R850R this year and I'm going to have to check the Bandit 1200 at some point. Both of those are adjusters on the rocker so should be a doddle.

It's not hard to do, it's just time consuming and a bit if a faff on some bikes.

The R850R will be a piece of cake. Pop the covers off and it's all right there in front of you. Do the rocker end float whilst you're there especially if it's a bit tappy.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Islander wrote:

The R850R will be a piece of cake. Pop the covers off and it's all right there in front of you. Do the rocker end float whilst you're there especially if it's a bit tappy.

Cheers for that, Pete. I'll make sure I check it as well. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:37 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Cheers for that, Pete. I'll make sure I check it as well. Thumbs Up

I don't know if I said up there..
I replaced the radiator on the K1300 last Jul-August.
I ordered new sparking plugs and the BMW Antifreeze too as I knew it was the perfect opperchancity to get into them but I forgot to order the cover gaskets. (Useless Prick Embarassed )
It's a bit pointless to not replace the gaskets when you go to all the hasslesing of whipping fairings, tanks and other peripheries to get into to the valves bit. They don't cost too much of you consider the work to get back in to change them if they are a bit crusty and fail if re-used. One has to remember to remember to build in the reliability.
I compounded this forgetery by the fact that the rad has to come out to get to the valve bits.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2