Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ABS sensor fused to aluminium housing.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: ABS sensor fused to aluminium housing. Reply with quote

Just did some rust treatment to my swing arm which involved removing the rear wheel to get good access. No biggie you would think until it came to putting the wheel back on. The problem was the workshop manual assumes you can remove the ABS sensor from the aluminum housing that locates into one side of the wheel. If you can do this them its a one-man job to lift the wheel into place. The sensor, however, is mounted in a stainless steel plate which has fused itself to the housing and would not separate. This made the whole business of lining up the wheel, the sensor housing and the rear brake caliper stanchion a bl00dy PITA. I ended up having to get my brother to come over and do the lifting the wheel part while I did the wiggling, locating, forcing and swearing bit to get the wheel to locate back between the swing arm. I forgot that when I had new tyres put on it ended up being a two-man job to relocate the rear wheel. I'm a bit hacked off that if I remove the rear wheel again I will have tog et help to put it back on as really it should be a one-man job surely.

I'm wondering though. Any tips on how to free the ABS sensor? I can't use heat such as if it was just a stainless bolt stuck in a bit of aluminum as that would destroy the sensor. I don't want to try and use shock to break the fusing. So wondering if there's a chemical way to loosen the bond. My brother said he had a similar problem with a stainless brake bleeder that had fused to an aluminum brake caliper on a car he had and it basically made the caliper toast so a new one was fitted.

Cheers.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cillit Bang.

All you can do is try to dissolve the crust. It is probably aluminium oxide due to electrolysis between the dissimilar materials plus salt as the electrolyte compound.
Brut force is all it will respect.
You could fool yourself into thinking a WD40 soaked rag taped to the bastirt like a poultice might help. And light a candle in the chapel to the St. Of Stuck Things.

(Edit: Using a smartphone to post is shite.)

Last edited by MCN on 10:18 - 07 Apr 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a shovel to lift the wheel up. 😎

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 05 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Cillit Bang.

All you can do is try to dissolve the crust. It is probably aluminium oxide due to electrolysis between the dissimilar materials plus salt at the electrolyte compound.
Brut force is all it will respect.
You could fool yourself into thinking a WD40 soaked rag taped to the bastirt like a police might help. And light a candle in the chapel to the St. Of Stuck Things.

Thanks. I am now thoroughly depressed at the thought of any future wheel removal exercises. Shocked

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:00 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good penetrating oil? 50:50 atf and paraffin.

How about freeze and release spray?

You can dissolve ferrous metal from aluminium using a concentrated solution of hot alum but it'll destroy the ferrous metal. You also need to immerse it in the solution for a protracted period. They use it for getting broken taps out of complex drilled pneumatic valve blocks.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stainless stuck in ally - heat it up. They have vastly different rates of expansion. This time of year the ally is going to be a tight grip due to the temperatures.

3-400 degrees should do it. 600 will cause the ally to melt.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:21 - 06 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: ABS sensor fused to aluminium housing. Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
I can't use heat such as if it was just a stainless bolt stuck in a bit of aluminum as that would destroy the sensor.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a little research apparently a mix of ATF and acetone is the best for releasing stuck disimerler metels. So just need to find some acetone. I dont know what magic substance is in ATF I always assumed it was just a type of oil.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:55 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abs sensors are really a s0d when this happens. Any bike new to me always under goes an abs removal and anaplication with either a smear of water pump grease or graphite powder.
If your bike is for keeps, try over a period of time and at regular intervals dab the offending housing and sensor with a drop of brake fluid, over a course of a few weeks you may just be lucky.
Try also if it’s designed in such a way it can be knocked side to side after the securing bolt has been removed.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
After a little research apparently a mix of ATF and acetone is the best for releasing stuck disimerler metels. So just need to find some acetone. I dont know what magic substance is in ATF I always assumed it was just a type of oil.

I Googled that for you.

You're welcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission_fluid

"Modern ATF consists of a base oil plus an additive package containing a wide variety of chemical compounds intended to provide the required properties of a particular ATF specification. Most ATFs contain some combination of additives that improve lubricating qualities,[2][3][4] such as anti-wear additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, detergents, dispersants and surfactants (which protect and clean metal surfaces); kinematic viscosity and viscosity index improvers and modifiers, seal swell additives and agents (which extend the rotational speed range and temperature range of the additives' application); anti-foam additives and anti-oxidation compounds to inhibit oxidation and "boil-off"[5] (which extends the life of the additives' application); cold-flow improvers, high-temperature thickeners, gasket conditioners, pour point depressant and petroleum dye. All ATFs contain friction modifiers, except for those ATFs specified for some Ford transmissions and the John Deere J-21A specification;[6] the Ford ESP (or ESW) - M2C-33 F specification Type F ATF (Ford-O-Matic) and Ford ESP (or ESW) - M2C-33 G specification Type G ATF (1980s Ford Europe and Japan)[3] specifically excludes the addition of friction modifiers.[3] According to the same oil distributor, the M2C-33 G specification requires fluids which provide improved shear resistance and oxidation protection, better low-temperature fluidity, better EP (extreme pressure) properties and additional seal tests over and above M2C-33 F quality fluids."

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:43 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want to recommend acetone in case there were any rubber or plastic componants on your sensor. Acetone will destroy them. Paraffin is much less likely to.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:43 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wont budge ive settled on uncliping the cable from its stays and disconnecting at the end. A pain though as the connector is under the tank buried in a bunch of other wires.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I didn't want to recommend acetone in case there were any rubber or plastic componants on your sensor. Acetone will destroy them. Paraffin is much less likely to.

Im going to very catefully using a tiny paintbrush lay the ATF-Acetone mix into the point where the aluminium and stainless plate meet and just keep dosing over days.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acetone from paint shop or nail varnish remover from poundland or similar - costs just £1.. Look at the back though,some have water in others are 99% Acetone plus some floral scenting -- which is nice..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:07 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy drums of acetone on ebay for very little money. I use it to clean spilled epoxy off stuff, among many other things. It brings carb componants up lovely. I put them in a jamjar of acetone in the ultrasonic cleaner. Just don't let it touch rubber o-rings or gaskets. It even attacks nitrile gloves after a bit.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Acetone from paint shop or nail varnish remover from poundland or similar - costs just £1.. Look at the back though,some have water in others are 99% Acetone plus some floral scenting -- which is nice..

You're a Faggot and I claim my £5.

(I use my prize money to buy some new Revlon foundation. Cool )

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You can buy drums of acetone on ebay for very little money. I use it to clean spilled epoxy off stuff, among many other things. It brings carb componants up lovely. I put them in a jamjar of acetone in the ultrasonic cleaner. Just don't let it touch rubber o-rings or gaskets. It even attacks nitrile gloves after a bit.

And....
Seriously, with any solvent take some care when using it.
Acetone will strip the oils from the part you are phaphing with and from your skin too.
Wash your Handy-Pops thoroughly after working with solvents and then apply some of your Mums's/Wife's/Girlfriends/Non-Binary friend's hand cream into your hands. (Real Men Moisturise.)

Dry skin promotes cracking which lets in bugs 'n' other shit.

Wearing gloves is a better plan too.

Nitrile/Latex whatever your snowflake-ism can handle.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1