Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newby just bought an er6f

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mike79
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:22 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Newby just bought an er6f Reply with quote

Hey all, new to the forum and biking in general (from Musselburgh outside Edinburgh). Done CBT, theory and das all in October/November last year and bought my first bike, Kawasaki er6f (10 years old and 15k miles) about a month ago. Will be using it for commuting all year round.

Got to say I have loved every minute on the bike and learning a lot. It’s true you just start learning after you get your licence. I wish I had got my licence years ago.

I put the bike in for it’s 15k service at a Kawasaki dealer (not where I bought it, as I wanted an independent view of the bike) and the only issue found was damaged ignition coils which cost an additional £200 fitted.

Since I got it back it has been struggling to start a bit (taking 2 attempts rather than first time). Also since I had a long ride on Friday I’ve noticed my clutch biting point has moved much closer to the handlebar. And it’s now nearly trying to pull away with the lever pulled in all the way. I have got it booked back in to the dealer to check things out. My feeling is that when they changed either the spark plugs or ignition coils, they have not done so correctly and that is causing the starting issue. But I have been riding in rain since getting the bike so don’t know if the wet is causing any issues. I do see quite a bit of rust elsewhere especially under the Seat/reg at back of bike. The clutch I think either needs adjusting or replaced. I don’t know enough to do any work myself. I got a Haynes manual but don’t feel confident enough as a newby to muck about on it.

What do other newby’s usually do with basic maintenance such as chain adjustment etc? Should I book a mechanic to go though the process and show me? Or join a club and get help that way? Wouldn’t want to muck things up since I use it daily! Just wondering how folks learn as a newby!

Looking forward to chatting to folks. Already Looking at what bike I can get as my second bike but happy with the kwak for a year or 2 to get experience first.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing to do is take it back to where you got it serviced tell them what you are not happy with and ask them to fix/diagnose it.

You payed them a large sus of money to service it and any decent shop would check it out and give you feedback on any issues not covered in the service. They said the coils were damaged? How? Did they show you the old coils?

Don't let them fob you off.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:45 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damaged coils? You'ved been ripped off.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 07 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Damaged coils? You'ved been ripped off.

I was breaking him in gently Nobby.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1