Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garage flooring Options (again)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:17 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Garage flooring Options (again) Reply with quote

My long awaited garage is nearly done, For reasons I CBA to go into it has taken far longer than expected and the base isn't as smooth as I would like.

However currently all the brickwork is up, the steel to support it is going in Saturday as are the side doors, the Roof should begin the week after, and the week after that the roller door will arrive.

The base is solid but slightly lumpy in a fair few places, it will need a screed of about 5mm.

My question is will a latex screed such as this set hard enough to withstand abuse from side stands or when I throw my spanners on the floor after fucking something up.

I will be putting an epoxy floor paint over it.

The other option is PVC tiles such as Ecotile. But this is about 4 times the price.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=102214

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tile it, it’s what I would do if my was smooth enough to start with.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:23 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking expensive to tile it, but if you're gonna be there for 40 years its probably the best way.

I've a double garage to do, 30 square meters, but theres about 500 other household tasks that want the time and money first Sick

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screed isn't the toughest, i'd tile it.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of tiles do you lay on a garage floor???

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:23 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good quality porcelain tiles, laid properly ( not dot n dabbed) I'd expect.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiles like these https://duramat.co.uk/

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put down PVC tiles on my garage floor. They show a little bit of denting if a bike on a centerstand has been in one spot for a while, but are otherwise sturdy. Easy to sweep clean, doesn't generate dust like concrete, just about ok to kneel on if you need to (the little grip mouldings are a bit poky).

If I did it again, I wouldn't choose black. A lighter colour is better for visibility all around, and it's easier to find things against a lighter background. OTOH if I had some brighter colour, I might be complaining now about how dirty it gets.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go checkerplate or go home.

Oh wait ... Thinking

Laughing

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for tiles

https://i.imgur.com/WF6jtRe.jpg

*not mine

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:20 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, tarts palace Shocked Laughing Cool

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:32 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I would use floor levelling compound. A useful tip is to wet the floor before or else it’ll go off too fast.
It’ll take out virtually all dent and divits in the floor, spread it about 2 to 3 mm thick with a large plastering trowel.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using the ground up bones of your enemies? Im sure mixed with the right cement that would work fine and make a great talking point.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice there's been a mention of "porcelain" tiles.
A bit of advice, assuming the garage floor in question is, merely, a concrete base, even if you heat the garage the addition of porcelain tiles will, inevitably, mean your feet will be like blocks of ice, if you spend any time in there during cold weather!

Guess how I know.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that what shoes and socks are for?

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive painted mine twice now, the latex stuff tends to last about 5 years,
I was going to try the epoxy floor coating this time.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Havwoods.

I bought 'SMOOTHING COMPOUND MXS110' from them to repair the fcuk up I made when I laid my garage floor.

It is quick setting.
You can walk on it within a hour of mixing.
It sets as hard as a hoowur's heart in about 24hrs

You WILL need to treat that bare/raw concrete no matter what you put down to stop moisture coming through.

Havwoods sell Marldon products.
You need a primer.
Then a Damp Proof Membrane (DPM) that is a two-pack that rolls on like thick paint. Sets in about 1 hour to a hard as fcuk coating.

Then you mix and pour and spread the 'smoothing compound'.

I got this advice from a building consultants in Hamilton (Scotland) but they use Havwoods as a supplier for their floor stuff.

My floorspace is quite large so it took a lot of material to cover.

But it does a very nice job.

I would buy:
A bit fat roller and a pole for it. It's about 18" wide.
A plaster whip.
And a SDS drill to drive the whip. If you use a normal drill it may burn out the motor like mine did. Embarassed You cannot mix fast as you will make bubble which will not have time to disperse before setting. Can be an issue if you are too greedy mixing to fast.
Buy some spikey shoes. So you can walk on your smoothing compound to spread properly.

I would do the same thing to the next concrete floor lay I fcuk up.

The whole deal shouldn't be much more than £200. Which is well worth it when you see the end product.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasfloor plastic tiles. Worth a look. I have half my garage floor covered in these (I keep meaning to do the rest, but something else always takes priority). The yellow ones are relatively light, but they do show dirt so need bit of a mop once a year.

I've also seen thick rubber mat tiles https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/grassmats-gms014-17-8k-garage-tiles-and-edging/ which look interesting. They might need a bit of ply for under a side stand, but look like they would save a dropped tool or two.

My lock up garage didn't have a dpm and the floor was lumpy and rough and sloped towards the back. I put a dpm in and a 2" to 3" screed on top. I used a sharp sand 3:1 cement mix with a lot of SBR added into the mix. The screed is very hardwearing and does not dust off. It came out dead smooth and would have been dead flat if my father in law hadn't been helping me. He kept troweling the mix in one area to push it down to level, resulting in other areas getting pushed up slightly rather than scraping off to level. It isn't much, but it's fcking annoying when the sections I did on my own are dead right.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBR?

kingmunky
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:14 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A full epoxy garage floor system would sort it out. You just throw a form up against the door opening, get enough mix to cover your floor, prime it, pour the epoxy and let it set then pour a clear coat on top, spreading it as you pour to get even coverage. They last for ages, are really durable and you can get virtually any colour you want. Can also be applied to un-sealed concrete floors.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on whether or not your builder mate put in a DPM as was suggested previously.
Whatever you do I wouldn't do anything to the floor yet as considering the weather although the floor may be set there will I expect be moisture coming up out of it for some time.

The ideal would be that assuming your builder put in a DPM and insulation to lay a wired underfloor heating mesh (surprisingly cheap from screwfix), lay a screed and then finish the floor with Porcelain tiles as they are hard enough to jack a car up on, you won't damage it dropping a sledgehammer on it and they tend to be slip resistant in the wet. Just don't dab fix them, double butter so theres no air void.

Looking at your slab I don't think there is a DPM or insulation so I would probably give it 6 months to dry through the summer, paint it and then use a Racedeck type plastic tile like in the picture owl posted. This would give you insulation from the cold slab but would need side stand pucks. It also tends to contract and enlarge slightly dependant on the weather.

Did you go for the patio door to the garden?

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:58 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a DPM down and the slab went down in November I think it's OK.

Funny you mention patio doors, I put them in today. Cool

https://i.imgur.com/CM0oBv0.jpg

The steel also went in today, I still need to paint that one side (it was face down) but it's raining and I CBA.

https://i.imgur.com/Ge7WT82.jpg

I also ran (well my mate did) conduit behind the steel for the leccy and I put a bit of pipe through to run an airline.
https://i.imgur.com/f4huNo0.jpg

Budget is knackered now, again long story, I don't think I can afford to get a tiller and I've never tiled before and don't trust myself to do a vaguely decent job. The roof goes in starting Tuesday,(covered in the budget) the rest of the electrical the floor and the paint/any extras will be going on a credit card.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
There is a DPM down and the slab went down in November I think it's OK.

So why not just leave the floor for now until you have the money to do a full job?

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:34 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2” polystyrene sheeting then moisture resistant t and g chipboard flooring, then underlay then deep pile carpet , ideal if you wanna loose that all important bolt!
Try Freecycle for your materials.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:05 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to have a floor 2"+ thick!

As for waiting, not really an option anymore, The house, shed and garden is a total dump full of tools and stuff that needs to go in. We do not want to lose another summer with essentially no garden It's already long overdue, and both me and my missus are fed up living like that. I also need to do a sizable amount of work on my TDM(s) My 'Good' one, is no longer allowed in London so I have an 07 one that is, however this new one isn't to to my standard, I need to swap a lot of bits over wire in all my accessories. I also need to swap engines and get the old one ready for sale. Not stuff I can do out a garage. This should have all been done in advance of the ULEZ but winter and lack of garage meant it didn't.

It's worth considering though. I figure I'll try the plastic tiles, with the idea that it is at least semi permanent. If it doesn't work out at a later date I'll get it tiled properly. From what I have seen the plastic tiles are very saleable so I should recoup a lot of the cost if I choose to go a different route.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2