Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Solutions for a problem that never existed.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Solutions for a problem that never existed. Reply with quote

Prompted by r**npal and Wipey threads, can you think of things that have been created to solve problems that didn't exist.

A bit like buying a washing machine when you have already paid out for a wife Whistle That's a joke ladies!!!

The obvious one that has been mentioned a few times is the electronic hand brake in a car, a ridiculous over complication.

Can you think of any others?

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluetooth Kettle, that Yamaha Nixen monstrosity

"Smart" motorways..."smart" thermostats... in fact anything "smart".

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:12 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

I disagree on the Smart motorways. It's a way of keeping a motorway flowing without building more tarmac/concrete etc. As much as it's annoying, it does work and I can anecdotally report that the M3 flows much more smoothly since the 'smart' stuff was implemented.

Smart thermostats can be useful. If you leave the heating on and have left the house, you can then turn it off saving you money. The Niken is an interesting engineering excercise so I'm glad they made it, but it does seem ultimately to have disadvantages that outweigh it's advantages.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
DRZ4Hunned wrote:

I disagree on the Smart motorways. It's a way of keeping a motorway flowing without building more tarmac/concrete etc. As much as it's annoying, it does work and I can anecdotally report that the M3 flows much more smoothly since the 'smart' stuff was implemented.

Smart thermostats can be useful. If you leave the heating on and have left the house, you can then turn it off saving you money. The Niken is an interesting engineering excercise so I'm glad they made it, but it does seem ultimately to have disadvantages that outweigh it's advantages.

My gripe with smart motorways is that they eliminate the hard shoulder, I'm sure they've thought about it, but in my eyes doesn't seem like a particularly safe idea? Also the years of 50 zones in my regular commute made it such an inconvenience.

I haven't done the math in regards to smart thermostats, but I'm sure if I leave my heating on every now and again it won't outweigh the cost of buying a smart thermostat and getting someone to install it, I'm of the opinion it's more for lazy people who can't be arsed getting of their sofa to adjust the stat.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
I haven't done the math in regards to smart thermostats, but I'm sure if I leave my heating on every now and again it won't outweigh the cost of buying a smart thermostat and getting someone to install it, I'm of the opinion it's more for lazy people who can't be arsed getting of their sofa to adjust the stat.

When we don't know what time we'll be home, it's handy to not have the house (and water) heated for no reason. Now I'm selling my old house, I can turn the heating on before there's a viewing, and turn it off again afterwards.

And yes, when I'm in bed and it's fucking cold, I can turn the heating on from my phone without coming out from under my duvet.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
And yes, when I'm in bed and it's fucking cold, I can turn the heating on from my phone without coming out from under my duvet.

I smiled when I read this, all the great thinking and millions of hours of I.T. work that went into modern “smart “ technology so Mr Shaggy doesn’t have to get out from under his duvet Laughing Laughing

I couldn’t even find the torch feature on my iPhone when I got it. Smile f*ck knows how I’d cope trying to turn the heating on in my house using my phone Shocked

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roundabout at the end of my residential street which was dug up and replaced by a junction for no reason.
There were no queues before. Now there are.
I reckon the council just wanted to get their annual budget spent Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:26 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Mini roundabouts ^^^

Our council, well it is Milton Keynes, are replacing junctions with mini roundabouts that no one take a blind bit of notice with roundabout rules.

What is perceived as the major road takes priority so don't expect 'give way to traffic from the right to even be thought of. Evil or Very Mad

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

Smart motorways, oh dear, IMO plenty of wrongful death suits coming.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

Mine was fitted free of charge. Working a variable shift pattern t's great that I can set up a detailed heating schedule to match my shifts and my wife's. Means the house is always warm when needed and I never need to touch the controls for it, without costing anything extra.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

I smiled when I read this, all the great thinking and millions of hours of I.T. work that went into modern “smart “ technology so Mr Shaggy doesn’t have to get out from under his duvet Laughing Laughing

If my phone's off, I tell Alexa to tell Hive to turn the heating up.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexa and the AI shite that takes as long to tell her to do something as it takes to do it.

ie. Just done a shopping list ' Alexa add peanut butter to shopping, Alexa add XXX to shopping. I could write it quicker.

It is fun though, wifie pisses her self when Alexa gets it wrong.

Alexa, add Marmite to shopping.... 'Walmart added to shopping list'

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
^^^ Mini roundabouts ^^^

Our council, well it is Milton Keynes, are replacing junctions with mini roundabouts that no one take a blind bit of notice with roundabout rules.

What is perceived as the major road takes priority so don't expect 'give way to traffic from the right to even be thought of. Evil or Very Mad

Milton Keynes itself is a solution for a problem that did not exist

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
^^^ Mini roundabouts ^^^

Milton Keynes itself is a solution for a problem that did not exist

Created as a housing teat for London to suck off. Cheap Laughing London workers housing. Rolling Eyes

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm....overspill Smile

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

FACEBOOK.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I add to the list mobile phones but only the ones females use.

A great invention ruined by women. Men use phones as phones for the most part. But fuck me, if a woman can't do
something 100% by jabbing her finger at her phone then apparently it can't be done....

The way they are so fucking reliant on the damn things makes me think less of them as a gender since all they do
on them is fucking gossip and buy stuff. You'd think they would be bored with them after 30 odd years....

Mobile phones, reducing female productivity and intelligence since 1990

This post is dedicated to every phone widower out there.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog poo picker-upperers.

Think tiny shovel on the end of a walking stick to stop people having to touch the bag or the poo.

FFS you still need to remove the fucking bag from the thing when you are done!

On the same note : hands free soap dispensers. Heaven forbid you might get some horrible bacteria on your hands from pressing the plunger Inna normal one. 3 seconds before you wash your hands. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
FACEBOOK.

And

grr666 wrote:
Can I add to the list mobile phones but only the ones females use.

A great invention ruined by women. Men use phones as phones for the most part. But fuck me, if a woman can't do
something 100% by jabbing her finger at her phone then apparently it can't be done....

The way they are so fucking reliant on the damn things makes me think less of them as a gender since all they do
on them is fucking gossip and buy stuff. You'd think they would be bored with them after 30 odd years....

Mobile phones, reducing female productivity and intelligence since 1990

This post is dedicated to every phone widower out there.

=

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10157336677569572

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

smart motorways don't work at all

m5 j4,5,6 and 7 prove this

one car brakes down in a live lane and whole motorway jams up

not only that you now have a recovery worker now working in a live lane to recover said vehicle instead of the relative safety of the hard shoulder

saw someone trying to cross the lanes the other day to get to the bank as wanted to get out of the car incase it was hit

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:14 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
hands free soap dispensers. Heaven forbid you might get some horrible bacteria on your hands from pressing the plunger Inna normal one. 3 seconds before you wash your hands. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

This! I've always thought this.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note, hand driers.

Washing your hands at work then having to wait whilst someone else is using it. Socially awkward, and some people take absolutely ages.

Then when you do use it, end up coming out with hands still wet Sad

What's wrong with good old fashioned paper towels?

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sink taps that work like a joystick and don't give you any clue at to what controls temperature or pressure.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:51 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three or four times a year some design student on here wants to put a head up display in a helmet. Yet they have no interest in my suggestion they design one that can be seen through on a cold, rainy night.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:11 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Capitol P plates some folk put on their car.
P for?

But 'Baby Onboard' diamonds for the back window are possibly the most useless.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2