Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A decent middleweight commuter with a £1800 budget

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

john24ssj
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:26 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: A decent middleweight commuter with a £1800 budget Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good middleweight (~600cc) commuter / weekend twisties bike for a budget of £1800. So far what has caught my eye is a Yamaha FZ6 which seems to be reasonably priced and has good reviews.
Do you think that for £1800 I could do better than FZ6 or is it a good pick?

Thank you Smile

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can probably get a whole host of bikes that fit your requirements with that budget, but getting one that's in reasonable condition might be the challenge. I'd also suggest setting aside a bit of money for any inevitable fixes needed as any bike you look at is likely to be a good few years old so will probably not be perfect.

I can't speak for your specific bike suggestion, but I'd also think a bit about what characteristics you want from a bike; me personally, I like a torquey power delivery and upright posture for commuting; it means I can be lazier in traffic and zip away from lights relatively effortlessly. I believe some 4-pots can be a bit lacking in low down torque, not a problem for the weekends but might be harder work in traffic?

john24ssj
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:38 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts I know exactly what you mean, I've tried an MT07 and loved it but currently it's out of my budget.
Most inline 4's make their power higher in the rev range and lower down area bit gutless but on the other hand two cylinder bikes can be a bit vibey which I don't want to go back to since my ER5 days.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think modern twins can be far more refined though; things have come a long way with balancing. Worth trying a few different bikes to see what you think. Thumbs Up

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sv650

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinka wrote:
Sv650

Good shout. I learnt on one of the new ones and it was ace. Loads of grunt and sweet handling. Thumbs Up

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like someone else said, under that price range you take a chance and just have to make sure whatever bike you see has been well maintained.
I got my F650 for £900, my budget was around £1500 but when I saw what a good condition it was in I had to snip it up!

I keep looking as I like to know what's around, but there's not many I see under £2k in my area that's in the right state. Thumbs Up
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a clean, late production ZZR600 for that (if you don't mind the slightly dated look/style).

Slightly lardy sports tourer but incredibly comfortable for commuting/distance work and fully faired for a little protection from the elements. They pack a decent bit of grunt for what they are (99BHP) and while not the most nimble in corners with a decent rear shock I haven't found cause to complain. Engine and basic design was used for 17 years (slight changes in 1993) so they are pretty bullet proof.

I'm probably biased I sold my 1991 ZZR after taking it to 99000 miles (was main transport as well as fun) bought a GSXR1000 but 18 months later bought another (2004 14k mile) ZZR. My bikes are now 99% leisure and I find myself on the ZZR more often than the GSXR.

It had some minor changes through it's production
1991-92 D model
1993 onward E model, ram air, slight power hike, slightly different fairings and frame
1995 onward front forks gain adjustability
2002 (or late 01) stainless cans and link pipes
2003 onward black frame

Some examples around your budget (there are lots to choose from)

Over budget but under 10k miles https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-53-KAWASAKI-ZZR600-599CC-ZX-600-E12H/273803258670?hash=item3fbff22b2e:g:QboAAOSwPF9cr9wm

Just under budget 29k miles https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-KAWASAKI-ZZR600-E11-FULL-SERV-HISTORY-EXCELLENT-CONDITION-ONLY-29K/163603678532?hash=item26178a0544:g:ecAAAOSw7Khckmta

1998 with a battle scar but 22k miles and well under budget https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kawasaki-zzr600/223467662451?hash=item3407b5ec73:g:lFkAAOSwt5VbIS5s

A VFR800 would probably also be a solid commuter/weekend fun combo but I think comparing like prices you get a cleaner ZZR for your money.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er6f in budget and more than capable.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Hornet-CB-600cc/113714446719

Sure you can get something newer, but beat those miles.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hornet is definately worth it!

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
That hornet is definately worth it!

Someone snapped that bargain up, I'm hoping it was OP.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:03 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornet, FZ6, I'd avoid the SV personally as the first 2 are nicer all round, but if you like it then go for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

zx9r C or C2

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:39 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Bandit is worth a look Reply with quote

I was in a very similar position beginning of the year.

You could watch Youtube and look for old 'men and motors' programs there are a ton of motorcycle reviews and comparisons on there from the late 1990s to early 2000s which helped me orientate before looking for other reviews.

I settled on either Bandit, Hornet or Fazer and then went looking for the best I could find in good condition. Found a Bandit 600 1999 with under 7000 miles on it. Basically had been in a garage for years being put through Mots with just a couple of hundred miles or so each time. I got a mobile mechanic to give it a once over (it is in very good nick and runs well almost as if I bought the bike a year after it was registered), he also put new chain, sprockets and tyres on it, the front tyre was the orginal!!!).

Been riding that for a couple of thousand miles through rain snow and now sun Smile since Jan. Plenty of fun on country roads and enough grunt at low revs for commuting.

Generally Bandits don't seem to quite a popular as Hornets or Fazers but fits me like a glove and having a blast.

I have a similar strategy with cars and been doing this for decades with them, next time around after more bike mechanical experience will be more confident finding a good one.

If you want a bike in a hurry find a few models you are willing to look at, then look for a GOOD one. If you fall in love with a particular model be prepared to spend some time looking for a good one. If you are on a budget you will want something that you can ride for a good while without issues.

All in after sprockets, chain and tyres the Bandit set me back about £1900.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my FZS600 2002 last year for 1.1k. It was a Cat C, but you couldn't tell, I'm chuffed to bits with it Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Bandit is worth a look Reply with quote

chris_hu_cheng wrote:

Found a Bandit 600 1999 with under 7000 miles on it...I got a mobile mechanic to give it a once over (it is in very good nick and runs well almost as if I bought the bike a year after it was registered), he also put new chain, sprockets and tyres on it, the front tyre was the orginal!!!).

I'm surprised it needed a new chain kit at that mileage, especially as it clearly wasn't a winter hack at 200-odd miles a year.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that's bollocks

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bandit is quite big, which is nice if you're a fat git, ride two up or plan on hauling luggage. Mk2 'S' models have a very effective screen and rather good projector headlights.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:51 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Bandit is worth a look Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I'm surprised it needed a new chain kit at that mileage, especially as it clearly wasn't a winter hack at 200-odd miles a year.

Well the chain was absolutely caked in greasy shite, and took a lot of cleaning with kerosene to look like a chain again, after re-lubing there were five distinct kinks that wouldn't work out. So don't know about that ,maybe it was just lubed and lubed and lubed and never cleaned???

Something reacted over the twenty years???

Rear sprocket showed some wear, probably could have got away with it with no issues but first big bike for me and nice to kick off with fresh chain, sprockets and tyres.

I obviously wasn't going to be happy riding on a 20yr old tyre.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:55 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
The bandit is quite big, which is nice if you're a fat git, ride two up or plan on hauling luggage. Mk2 'S' models have a very effective screen and rather good projector headlights.

As I said, fits me like a glove, so read into that what you may re. the fat git bit Wink have hauled quite a bit of luggage on mine also, copes admirably.

It is a heavy bike, but I don't have any issues pushing it around or hauling on the centre stand, smaller people might find it a show stopper.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:00 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph Sprints are in that budget. Plenty around at that price.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:02 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:
Triumph Sprints are in that budget. Plenty around at that price.

With a litre engine i wouldn't really class them as a middleweight. Great for commuting though.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 23 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Fireblade.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1