Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stained glass windows.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Stained glass windows. Reply with quote

Has anyone tried making stained glass windows?

I want to make one for the front cratch cover window. This triangular bit at the front.

https://www.midwayboats.co.uk/usedboats/used217/used217_2.jpg

I've watched u tube vids but just wondered if anyone had any tips about how to do it?

I'm thinking use the present sheet of glass to mount it on as a support as I'm not sure a stand alone one will last with the vibration.

Probably a long shot but it never ceases to amaze me what experience there is in BCF. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a kit to make faux 'leaded' glass.

I think it is a skill heavy task depending on how intricate the design and which style of leading you fancy.

I was going to buy the lead and re-do some leaded lights we had.
Split the lights and fabridooddle them into on larger pane.

The only reason I never embarked on the adventure was the joiners were on short time and I was intermittently home.

They did it in days or yore or before and there was no electric solder bolts then.

I know you need a relatively heavy solder bolt (iron) to be able to transfer the heat to the lead. Plumber's kit will do it.

I saw it as a sort of therapy and the results can ever be too pish.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ya thinking of putting on it?
Are you going to design your own or are you going to get some other ideas and use them instead? I think they are a bit like tattooes, they are best when they convey the personality of the owner a bit.
I'm very fond of stained glass windaes.
Cool

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
What ya thinking of putting on it?
Are you going to design your own or are you going to get some other ideas and use them instead? I think they are a bit like tattooes, they are best when they convey the personality of the owner a bit.
I'm very fond of stained glass windaes.
Cool

I visited the Beverley Minster a few years ago. As I was wandering around inside the building I noticed the sun light streaming in through the stained glass was projecting a really nice colour pattern on the white flags of the floor. It was kinda magical.
I think it was God trying his damnedest to suck me into the congregation.
It didn't work. I am a blaspheming Athiestic Infadel.

The real fact is that the artists/architects who planned the window knew exactly the sort of effect they were wanting to produce.
I think the minster is 13th century.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:25 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for a heat set glue rather than a silicon type set one.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew someone who did it, but they worked in a pub that got knocked down ten years ago, and I last drank in there twenty years ago.
Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My glass windows are already stained enough

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:56 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one ready made for my wife's studio. Circular with an art deco look to it. Absolutely makes the outside of the structure.

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:05 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waht about a film on the existing window? no worries about vibration etc..

https://applyityourself.co.uk/stained-glass-window-film/

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinyl? I was gonna suggest that but a man with a Jag, a boat and burnt bollocks should have whatever he damn well pleases.

He's totally earned it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I knew someone who did it, but they worked in a pub that got knocked down ten years ago, and I last drank in there twenty years ago.
Confused

There isn't a rating for 'less than helpful'.

I guess it was almost 'informative' though.

🤣

I stopped to ask directions from from this mental case one day.
"Drive straight down the street until you come to the corner where Whites Pub used to be but it was knocked down a few years ago, and turn left there." Shocked

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stained glass Jolly Roger in there would certainly look the part Thumbs Up

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:17 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Waht about a film on the existing window? no worries about vibration etc

Also, you can get self-adhesive lead strip on a roll.... I used stuff like this on a new window here nearly 20 years ago, which I was trying to make a single pane look as if it had leaded lights, to match other windows... actually doesn't look half bad, ie 'realistic', and it's still stuck down as well as it was when I fitted it. Bloody sight easier than lead soldering...

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I visited the Beverley Minster a few years ago. As I was wandering around inside the building I noticed the sun light streaming in through the stained glass was projecting a really nice colour pattern on the white flags of the floor. It was kinda magical.
I think it was God trying his damnedest to suck me into the congregation.
It didn't work. I am a blaspheming Athiestic Infadel.

Me too.
I'm like that about the English Martyrs church at Tower Hill.
I used to stop in there when I had meetings at the Royal College of Pathologists down the road. Its very peaceful, and when running across London from one place to another I used to enjoy five minutes of listening to the calming effect of crazy religious people standing up and sitting down, before going to my meetings.

But I've also visited the Italian Church in Clerkenwell, because they do Latin masses which sound really amazing. Its really pretty inside, but not nearly as much stained glass, its more about the cultural feel I get from that one. And also because I want to go to the procession of Our Lady of Mt Carmel, cos I used to go to a catholic school and she was our delegated school saint - hence being called Carmel College - but its really about points scoring with my sister who is a smug cunt.

Oh, and a couple of times I might have accidentally gone into the jesuit church in Mayfair, who also do Latin masses, and whose artwork and stained glass (returning to being on-topic) is remarkable, by virtue of being one of the most well-heeled congregations in the country. Although that's more about the possibility of bumping into a rich husband, rather than admiring their admittedly very beautiful temple of religious fervour Wink

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great works added to the myth.
I don't even believe the artists were so pious.
I rather think they were paid well. 😂

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have vinyl on the inner doors and it looks just that, cheap vinyl.

https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29572606_10211760621877352_979233570738620036_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr3-2.fna&oh=f2fdd0f8e5dc954d011e04cddabc5df0&oe=5D2BA84E

I think I'll try that adhesive lead that Freddy mentioned on a separate piece of perspex. At least I will still have the original window pane if I fcuk it up.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself on you tube and watch some of those videos that tell ya how to do them.

If all those little housewife moms can make pink and purple unicorn stained glass wind chimes, dream catchers or whatever the damned things are, then you can make *definitely* make a cool one for your cool boat.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 've got an old windscreen on my old bike and have oftten mused over doing a stained glass effect on it.
Not sure if pink and purple unicorns are consistent with a ruff tuff biker image tho'
I was thinking more like summat that's been ripped out of a church window

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I think I'll try that adhesive lead that Freddy mentioned

NB for the avoidance of doubt my link was just an example of the stuff; I have no idea of its provenance!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I 've got an old windscreen on my old bike and have oftten mused over doing a stained glass effect on it.
Not sure if pink and purple unicorns are consistent with a ruff tuff biker image tho'
I was thinking more like summat that's been ripped out of a church window

Having a stained glass representation of Christ on the cross on your bike screen could be regarded as Islamophobic and get you a spanking from the SJW's.

I had a Honda Eagle etched into the windscreen on my 1500 Wing. I also had LED's ant the bottom of the screen that illuminated the eagle at night without restricting my vision. Can just see it on this old photo though sadly not illuminated.

Yes, I'm a posing tart Cool

https://i.postimg.cc/CxK0b31G/London-Parade.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:04 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I had a Honda Eagle etched into the windscreen on my 1500 Wing. I also had LED's ant the bottom of the screen that illuminated the eagle at night without restricting my vision.

When you buying your wanker vest (tm)?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:07 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I had a Honda Eagle etched into the windscreen on my 1500 Wing. I also had LED's ant the bottom of the screen that illuminated the eagle at night without restricting my vision.

When you buying your wanker vest (tm)?

You mean my POLITE vest? No chance. There's a difference between a tart and a wanker you know. Wink

However, I did have a 'chips' helmet and sunglasses for riding that bike. Cool Thumbs Up

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

However, I did have a 'chips' helmet and sunglasses for riding that bike. Cool Thumbs Up

This is BCF we dont judge, you know that dont you?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/7zQAAOSwHuhalzDs/s-l1600.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 6 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1