BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ER6f Refresh

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find a swingarm in Italy that was in good condition, all the others I looked at across Europe were in bad condition and some were obviously repainted to hide corrosion.
While waiting I cleaned up the Givi rack arms, sprayed them and refitted.
The swingarm took a couple of weeks to turn up, it sat for a week sunbathing in Belgium but finally arrived the end of last week so Friday I pulled the rear end apart

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/no_rear_end1.jpg

It wasn't the easiest thing to get out due to corrosion on the pivot bolt

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/img-20200508-wa0007.jpeg

but it cleaned up OK so could be reused.

With it removed I could see how bad the corrosion was and it was bad

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/20200508_151711.jpg

the cross support was completely rotted out but the worrying part is the right hand arm was rotted out as well around 10mm from the pivot. The arm snapping here could potentially be fatal.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/20200508_191253.jpg

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 10 May 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the swingarm in on Friday evening so Saturday I fitted the new front sprocket with rubber dampener. The rubber ring cuts noise quite a lot so is worth having but if your front sprocket uses a tab washer it does make it quite hard to bend it over.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/20200509_185002.jpg

Fitting the chain gave me a chance to test my new DID KM500R chain tool. It isn't as easy to use as the DID videos suggest but it is a lot more positive than using a Whale chain tool and gives a good result.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/20200509_183018.jpg

A quick bleed of the rear brake and the bike is back together.

Fitted some new Samco hoses.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/20200509_182602.jpg

And that's the end of Saturday.

mikester
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:56 - 04 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

really appreciate the effort you've gone to keeping this thing on the road, decent topic with the pics. keep them coming Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:34 - 05 Jun 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for keeping bikes long term if you like them. My TDM has 105k miles on it. I bought it with 19k. I have always been happy to spend out for parts on it. I changed the brake discs at 70k as they were 0.1 mm above minimum thickness and pads needed doing too. I remember talking about it on here and people seemed amazed I was splashing out £330 on OEM discs + £30 on bolts and £50 on pads on a 70k mile bike (Prices are very much a guess!) My reasoning was OEM lasted that long therefore I don't need to think about it for another 70k.

I feel with any vehicle it takes time to become in sync with it, to me this means do all the most have mods and and fix and issues. Once you have it perfect generally it is easy to keep that way, yes there is the occasional big job but if you don't have the run it into the ground mentality things can last much longer than people think.

IF the ULEZ hadn't come in I'd still be using it, that forced me to buy newer TDM Laughing

One of the biggest smiles the whole ULEZ annoyance came when I thought I'd see what we buy any bike would give me for my bike. The sites validation rules would not allow 105,000 to be entered as the mileage Laughing

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more pictures but it's all finished.
Wired a new 5v transformer in for the front camera, connected up the new heated grips and just did a general tidy up of things. New front tyre and 90degree tyre valve. All the bodywork was fitted with new well-nuts where needed and no longer reverberates with the engine revs.

Called the garage at 20.30 on Saturday night and booked in for an MOT at 21.00 which it passed no advisories. MOT man was amused, was the only recent Kawasaki he had tested which didn't have play in the rear end so well done Hyperpro.

So it's all done now, needs a bit of use to see if anything comes loose so I'll use it for work when I go back. At 500 miles I'll give it another going over and then it can return to it's 7500mile service intervals.

Was it worth it? I think so. It cost me £4000 over 3 years 0% finance and has 95k on it. I've spent probably a bit over £1200 on it and now has very good suspension and everything is sorted the way I want it. If I wanted to replace it I would be looking at £2500-£3000 for one with 20-30K on the clock which would still need the suspension doing as well as the big engine service and without doubt various other things doing as build quality was never high on these. The killer for a normal person is the 30+ hours of work that has gone into this as at shop prices that could be £1500+.

Next time its out from under the cover I'll get a photo and post it.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 21 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found more that needs doing.

The swingarm bobbins need changing due to damage and there is a scottoiler dual injector sitting here somewhere for it.
The dual injector will need a mount fabricating to hang it off the bobbin mount which won't be a problem, just another excuse to break out the mig-welder and fabrication tools.

The wheels need balancing so I need to clean up my manual balancer, fair bit of corrosion on it. I want to get an electronic one but its going to cost about a grand so that can wait for now.

After riding it the suspension is a whole lot better but will need adjustment.

The chain is a lot quieter with the silenced front sprocket so that was worth doing.

Helicoiled a mirror boss as the thread was gone.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 10:43 - 28 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found you can balance a front wheel in the forks with the brake calipers off. At least well enough for no vibration at 120mph Laughing

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:55 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I've found you can balance a front wheel in the forks with the brake calipers off. At least well enough for no vibration at 120mph Laughing

Problem here is many modern bikes have a seals in addition to the bearing seals and these promote friction in the rotation of the wheel leading to inaccuracy in balancing. It also doesn't tell you which side of the wheel to place the balance weights so can lead to side to side oscillation.

So yes your method does work but not perfectly. Also I want an electronic balancer so I can do the truck wheels as well, due to the weight of them, the lack of power steering or a steering damper balance really is an issue above 30mph. Should also improve the MPG a few points as well.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:29 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you find the Givi monolock system? I had a monokey system on my VFR and it wore over time, and eventually the box would pop off. The latches were sacrificial and the spares can be bought for extortionate prices on ebay.

Overall though, it was a good system and I was able to use it for commuting with a usual 4kg of weight. I've just bought a smaller monolock box which comes with a monolock plate (as they all seem to - saved me a lot of money) and it says it has a 3kg limit... d'oh. I plan to mount the plate on a spare pillion seat for commuting as something I didn't like about the VFR was it's overall length with the box on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Givi lock types wear but you can buy a spares kit for about £25.00. This includes the plate rubbers which compress over time and cause accelerated wear.

I've changed the rubbers 2 or 3 times on the ER6 plate and the lock still locks so I'm happy with it.

The usual thing to do is a single M6 bolt with plate washer at the back through the box and into the rack, use an R clip and the box can still be removed easily or a nut to keep it in place permanently.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:10 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
The usual thing to do is a single M6 bolt with plate washer at the back through the box and into the rack, use an R clip and the box can still be removed easily or a nut to keep it in place permanently.

Yeah that's exactly what I did.

I was just wondering what your general thoughts on the monolock rack and topoxes are really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I was just wondering what your general thoughts on the monolock rack and topoxes are really.

Pretty much every problem I've encountered has either been lack of servicing (changing the rubbers), overloading or just worn out through age and use. I like Givi stuff and have always been happy with the quality, price and the service from Givi UK who bend over backwards to help their customers.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 213 days between these two posts...

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 01 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after some use a few problems have appeared. The clock back lights are blown and use an odd T3 bulb fitting, the original 95,000mile old throttle cables are stretched beyond adjustment so everything has been ordered from Fowlers and should be here tomorrow.

I've replaced the paddock stand bobbins with new ones, one of the old ones was fractured so it fits perfectly on the stand now.

I think it needs wheel stickers as the wheels look pretty boring.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 02 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tiny bulbs in the clocks are replaced, the one with the darker base is 1.1w and the other 2 are 0.7w.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/20210302_162233.jpg

The throttle pull cable is about 5mm longer than the the new one so that's replaced, the push cable actually has an adjuster which is hidden behind a frame rail so that's still on but everything seems good now.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheel stickers are done and stop the wheels looking like a black hole. Not cheap at £25 a set but they are good quality vinyl and have a large amount of wastage in material for what they are.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/20210328_174505__1_.jpg

The next project which should pretty much complete things is to recover the seat with a fancy cover.

Another week and it will be time for it's first oil change since the rebuild which I expect to go fine. I'm also thinking it's time for a tracker unit to be fitted to it as well.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:43 - 29 Mar 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, is that the overflow drain from the fuel tank? It's triggering my OCD Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 220 days between these two posts...

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 04 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Erm, is that the overflow drain from the fuel tank? It's triggering my OCD Laughing

Yes it is, as the exhaust box is under the bike there is no where else for it to go.

So 2 weeks ago I finally got the time to to replace the throttle bodies. The fast idle is now working as it should and it so far seems to be using a lot less fuel so hopefully this is now sorted. It's still on it's first tank so we will see how many miles it gets to it.

I still need to fabricate the mount for the Scottoiler dual injector, it's just getting time to do things that's the problem.

1claire
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 02:48 - 09 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good, your hard work paid off. Are you looking at replacing your motorcycle exhaust?

Last edited by 1claire on 03:31 - 11 Nov 2021; edited 1 time in total

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 09 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do those shock tubes really work? Obviously they stop grit/stones/whatever hitting the damper rod etc., but since they're made of neoprene, I kind of thought they'd end up trapping condensation in the shock when they got wet, and could end up being more of a detriment than a benefit.

With the kind of mileages you've done Sickpup, I'm guessing you've found they're worth it? Or is the shock tube just to cover the swanky shock so no-one nicks it? Very Happy

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 09 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this thread in it's entirety and I am thinking there is probably a hole in my swingarm too on my 2009 ER6F. Last weekend when I was tightening and lubricating the chain I noticed that when I undid the adjuster block on the right hand side dirty water started pouring out of it where it meets the swingarm.

Think I will take it to get looked at the local motorcycle garage. Then again it is old as shit and was cheap so there's probably a load of problems I don't know about yet.

I was thinking of replacing the rear shock on mine myself just using a better condition used unit from eBay since they are relatively cheap. I've wanted to replace the adjuster blocks on both sides of the swingarm since I got the bike but after seeing how you got yours in decent condition just using an angle grinder I think I will go down the renewal route first when I get it laid up for the winter and move to my Chinese 125cc winter hack.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:56 - 09 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the adjuster blocks have a small relief cut into them on one side to act as a drain hole. Check they were fitted the correct way around/might need cleaning up so water can exit. Also sometimes drain holes under the main section of the swingarm that can get filled with crap and just need poking open.

Next time you have them off spray some waxoyl in at least (make sure drain's are still free) to try and buy some more years out of it.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 09 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Usually the adjuster blocks have a small relief cut into them on one side to act as a drain hole. Check they were fitted the correct way around/might need cleaning up so water can exit. Also sometimes drain holes under the main section of the swingarm that can get filled with crap and just need poking open.

Next time you have them off spray some waxoyl in at least (make sure drain's are still free) to try and buy some more years out of it.

The only reason I hesitate to actually put a lot of money into this bike is because I know I am only going to have it at most another year, probably a lot less as I move to another bigger bike.

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks for the tip, I will do that on a quiet weekend and take the opportunity to replace a few of the more fucked parts in the rear axle as well.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:47 - 23 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my swingarm re powder coated, also tons of crap came out but luckily no serious damage no rust throughs and such....

I ended up getting that nasty rust preventing grease spray stuff and over coated the inside a lot.... should hopefully stop any more damage.... Also the bike has its own shed so its out of the rain. .....

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:02 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
I got my swingarm re powder coated, also tons of crap came out but luckily no serious damage no rust throughs and such....

I ended up getting that nasty rust preventing grease spray stuff and over coated the inside a lot.... should hopefully stop any more damage.... Also the bike has its own shed so its out of the rain. .....

Fuck! You've just reminded me I need to check over mine. I have a can of that grease too Smile

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:59 - 24 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

Fuck! You've just reminded me I need to check over mine. I have a can of that grease too Smile

Its nasty stuff to work with goes everywhere... i made a right mess with it... And it has a tendency to remelt and the excess drain out over my back wheel on hot days :p Luckily not too much, but gah enough to wipe off...

I also silicon plugged off the water drain hole thats up the top of the swing up, at the joint to the shock. As that was letting in a lot of water and trapping it in that tube. The internal holes are some what blocked I think. Even after the clean up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4