Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Sintered brake pads

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

St George
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:23 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant high speed brake shoes, they love getting hot and hardly fade. Does what they say on the box.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:30 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them on the front, where I want sharp, effective brakes. Don't like them on the back, where I just need some control.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sintered pads *may* rag standard discs. I have seen one pair of discs absolutely scored to fuck by HH pads - Couldn't tell you what, it was a few years back. Have a google for your particular application.

I use them on the Viffer and the work rat. Zero issues with either.
Travis Bickle This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:42 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, higher disc wear can be an issue.

My main pro is they are unaffected by water on the disc.

Brembo are good.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sintered pro's are they "bite" instantly and hard, doesn't matter if the disk is wet (riding in rain). Negatives are they wear the disk faster, can stick to the disk if left for a long period unused, create worse brake dust and cost more.

Organics don't "bite" as instantly and are noticeably less effective in the rain. However they wear the disk less, don't stick if left and are cheap.

It's personal preference. When I did lots of miles I was organics all round as pads cost less than disks. Nowdays both mine are sintered fronts and organic rear. I'm not a fan of sintered on the rear I prefer it a bit more subtle on the back.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY latest bike I bought recently had Sintered pads on the front, I found that out quick enough when under braking at slow speed, brakes were binding and felt uncomfortable. I've had Sintered pads in other bikes before and experienced the same problem so now Sintered pads are off the menu and I'm using standard pads.

EBC are good pads, in the past people would tell me they eat discs, well I don't think that is the case nowdays.

I do use cheapo pads from time to time, Brenta are dirt cheap and are quite good, testing a set on the rear of my CBF500 and the results so far are promising.

Now I have 3 bikes that have disc brakes front and rear I will be from now on getting through at least 12 sets of pads per year. Due to my insurance limitations I'm only allowed 9K per bike per year.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brembo sell three or four different pads for my litre bike.

A bit like tyre choice.
It depends on the way the biker is used.
The brakes I have fitted just now don't get to maximum grip until they've been heated up by braking.
Track oriented but more than enough for road use.

Last edited by MCN on 00:09 - 13 Apr 2019; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis Bickle wrote:
You pissed?

Premedicated text.

I type too fast and the phone changes the words.

If I don't proof read before post it makes me look like a prick
So humiliating. Embarassed

🤣

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
If I don't proof read before post it makes me look like a prick

You ARE a prick, even if you do or don't proof read.. Laughing Laughing

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given a complete set of Gold Fren HH compound front and rear pads for the FJ1200 when I bought it distinctly second hand the other year.After nearly 8,000 miles,mainly riding around the Continent,there is still plenty of life left in them.They have not chewed up the standard discs as I was expecting,considering the very high metal content in the friction material and there is little or no brake dust,unlike the Ferodo SuperSport pads I have fitted to the FZR-R.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yes, higher disc wear can be an issue.
I've always used EBC sintereds and haven't noticed any wear, that said I tend to rely on engine braking.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a Series IIa Landrover, so engine braking is instinctive for me.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:11 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's next to no engine braking on a modern diesel van. Or torque. It's all gutless farting noises then a brief turbo-induced powerband. Try to move off in second gear and you'll stall. If you lift odff the throttle, they just coast.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1