Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shipping a pallet to America

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Shipping a pallet to America Reply with quote

I've been thinking of sending a pallet, (or 2), of stuff over to America and on a "cheap" pallet transport site I've been quoted around £3500 for 1 pallet to get there in about 4-5 days.... that was actually the cheapest before I rage quit the search.

Time is not an issue here, it'll get there when it gets there, be it days, weeks or months.

I'm hoping someone has done this kind of thing before and can offer useful advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:49 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout a shipping container?

Im sure they're much more reasonable thats seems ridiculously expensive.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That price must have been air freight. If you send it by sea it will be much cheaper but bear in mind that if it's on a ship and the captain gets instructions to go to Brazil and pick up 500 tons of lumber he's not going to stop off to drop your pallet off first so it might be a while before it gets there and it might have had 500 tons of lumber on top of it.

I'm not very familiar with shipping but I did enquire about it once for my bike. You need to have/make a certified pallet, can't use any old timber because it might have disease/parasites etc. You obviously need to sort the import/export/customs side of things which might cost a few bob, and be aware that the shipping world is more full of sharks than the ocean it's sailing on so choose your conveyancer with care. I know a guy who organised 2-way shipping for something quite large and valuable and he paid a shipping agent up front for all the shipping & customs fees. Later he found that the guy hadn't paid the customs OR the return shipping. Cost him quite a few grand to get his item released from customs over there and then he had to pay all over again to get it back home.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 09 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to the USA but I know of someone who used to import American campervans into Britain.
With the vans he'd be in the USA to choose one to give to the shipping agents but before he did, he'd fill it with allsorts of items he wanted taking back to the UK. A coffee table, some nasty white plastic fencing, some 110 volt appliances etc.
Could it be shoved into a load?

Have you tried DHL or similar?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Grubscrew
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:36 - 10 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You’ll need to get yourself a commodity code for the shipment.

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:06 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have shipped large boxes to the Philippines (ok, not the US) and it takes about 6 weeks. Air freight for 3.5k sounds really expensive. But really, what are you shipping to the US that you can't buy there anyway?

tatters
Exxon Valdez

PostPosted: 06:12 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned above shipping large/heavy stuff by sea is always far cheaper than air.

I sent my BMW G650X in a crate by air freight back in 2013 to Halifax NS and that was £1300. The advantage of this was when l got off the plane by bike was ready to be picked up at a warehouse near the airport.

Two years ago my dad sent me a BSA C12 in a crate to Calgary AB as a wedding gift, It came by Sea to Montreal and then by truck to Calgary where it cleared customs, total cost was around £500 and delivery time was about a month.
Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650 Present:G650XC,C12,KZ750,1190ADV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 11 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay the money and buy a proper pallet or a Euro with heat stamps on, buy the sides, also with the stamps on, and then tip the guys a couple of quid to give you the paperwork for the stamps.

Alternatively, ply doesn't need the stamps.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 12 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to find a Freight Consolidating outfit. That's a shower who fill a container then send it when full. It can take several weeks.
The sailing time is about 3 weeks but waiting until the sea con is filled can add weeks to that.
Some shipping also runs like a local bus service and calls in to several ports.
The cheaper you go the longer it will take.
Maybe email one of the freight companies to get a price.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:57 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the carers in my Mum's home sends stuff back to Jamaica in a clip lid oil drum quite cheaply, presumably by sea.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:05 - 13 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try TransGlobal Freight management.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 14 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1