Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

R1150GS Vibrations through the footpegs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

JackDaniels
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:53 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: R1150GS Vibrations through the footpegs Reply with quote

hi everyone,

i have a 2003 r1150gs with 95k on the clock, in the past couple hundred miles the footpegs have started vibrating quite badly whilst riding along, i have balanced the throttle bodies the best i can, have given it a full service and done the valve clearances.

if i pull the clutch in whilst riding along the vibrations completely disappear, im unsure now as to what it could be causing them, it has only started recently.

i took it for an mot last month and was told that my rear shock has lost all its dampning so i have a shock on order and im hoping that may fix it but just thought id see if anyone else had any ideas whilst im waiting for it to arrive.

thanks
Jack

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:33 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably when you pull the clutch in you're also letting the revs drop to idle. That means the gearbox and final drive aren't causing the problem, so it must be the engine or the clutch causing the vibration.

For an experiment, you can try pulling in the clutch but keeping the revs up. That will tell you if it's a problem from something rotating at a certain speed, or if it only happens when the engine is under load.

Assuming it is only happening with the engine under load, my first thought is throttle body balancing. You say you've tried to balance them, but you don't seem that confident.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 14 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: R1150GS Vibrations through the footpegs Reply with quote

JackDaniels wrote:
if i pull the clutch in whilst riding along the vibrations completely disappear,

The clutch bearing probably needs replacing.

Thinking of it, that would work the other way around. No vibration when engaged, a lot's of vibration when disengaged. Thinking

EDIT: I still think it's the clutch.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

""""EDIT: I still think it's the clutch.""
Me too.

JackDaniels
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:42 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Presumably when you pull the clutch in you're also letting the revs drop to idle. That means the gearbox and final drive aren't causing the problem, so it must be the engine or the clutch causing the vibration.

For an experiment, you can try pulling in the clutch but keeping the revs up. That will tell you if it's a problem from something rotating at a certain speed, or if it only happens when the engine is under load.

Assuming it is only happening with the engine under load, my first thought is throttle body balancing. You say you've tried to balance them, but you don't seem that confident.

I gave it a go on my way to work this morning I squeezed the clutch in and let the revs stay around 3.5k as that's where the vibrations occur and they remain, so it must be something to do with the engine.

I have bought a Morgan carb tune is this suitable for balancing the throttle bodies I've got it as close as I can using that the 2 rods stay next to each other throughout the rev range.

Thanks

JackDaniels
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:46 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: R1150GS Vibrations through the footpegs Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
JackDaniels wrote:
if i pull the clutch in whilst riding along the vibrations completely disappear,

The clutch bearing probably needs replacing.

Thinking of it, that would work the other way around. No vibration when engaged, a lot's of vibration when disengaged. Thinking

EDIT: I still think it's the clutch.

Is there anything I can do to check the clutch without stripping the bike down?

Itd say its a medium vibration nothing major but enough to be annoying but definitely wasn't there when I bought the bike.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:59 - 15 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carbtune would be the right tool, and it sounds like you have them balanced.

For anyone saying clutch bearing, this bike runs a car-type 3 piece dry clutch. The only bearing is the release bearing, which is only in play when the clutch lever is pulled in. If the clutch was out of alignment it would be juddering when you pull away.

So it sounds like the gearbox and final drive are not an issue. The clutch is unlikely to be an issue. The throttle bodies are synchronised. The valve clearance have been done.

The vibration appears to be coming from the engine, at around 3500 rpm.

I'm out of ideas. Don't know enough about the bike. Next place I would look on any bike would be engine mounts. With rubber mounts I'm looking for a collapsed one allowing it to transmit vibration, with solid ones I'm looking for loose bolts allowing it to amplify vibration at certain harmonics.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1