Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BCF Bike Reviews

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: BCF Bike Reviews Reply with quote

Just want some honest reviews about the bike you ride.

Found an old thread that didn't get past the 1st Page...
(https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=129993)

It looked a bit wordy so i've just cut it down to simple questions to get to the bare bones.

(I'm only really doing this for personal gain as i'm looking at getting a bike in the near future[/b]

Copy and paste the questions below and fill in.

1. Picture of your bike (optional)

2. Make / Model?

3. How many miles have you ridden on it?

4. What does the bike do well?

5. What are the bikes weak points?

6. Your verdict?

I'll start off with my last bike.

https://i.imgur.com/aI0EjGi.jpg

2. Make / Model?

ZX6R G1

3. What does the bike do well?

- Speed: Jumping from my first big bike (SV650S) it took me a while to use the whole rev range, but it really takes off once you get past around 8,000rpm. The sound was awesome!

- Cornering: It taught me to get rid of the chicken strips. It felt really planted and confidence inspiring.

- Looks: I thought it looked gorgeous.. but I did have to change that god awful screen for a black one.

- Reliable: In the 13,000 miles of ownership, not a thing went wrong (other than consumables). Sold the bike at around 36k miles.

4. What are the bikes weak points?

- Ride Height : It was uncomfortable as it was too tall for me (I’m 5'7.5"), I could just about reach the floor on tiptoes. Would have been much better suited to a taller rider. The ride position forced me right forward with all weight onto my wrists. I was riding 120miles a day in all-weather, so there’s only so long you can engage your core before the wrists take the hit. Not sure if this would have happened with a taller rider. It eventually led to me getting rid of it.

5. Your verdict?
I wouldn’t buy this again. It gave me a really sore lower back. But it was a lot of fun on the good days. Recommended for taller riders. It was more a tool for fun than as a dedicated commuter, but I did have a laugh on it.

Last edited by Bubbs on 11:15 - 17 Apr 2019; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:00 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]URL=https://s304.photobucket.com/user/glamartin/media/IMG_0413_zpsdcb5s5il.jpg.html]https://oi304.photobucket.com/albums/nn183/glamartin/IMG_0413_zpsdcb5s5il.jpg[/URL][/img]

Make and Model

GSXR 1000 K3

What does the bike do well?

Goes very fast, handles really well and looks efin awesome.

Really though, I had a Triumph Sprint 955i before this and kept hitting the rev limiter in second so fancied something a little more sporty.

I nearly bought a well used K5 with 32k but ended up paying top dollar for this extreamly clean and well looked after K3 and never looked back.

Always puts a smile on my face and is a lot more comfortable than you might think.

It had 13k on it when I bought it just over a year ago and I sold it two weeks ago with 22k.

I found the key to buying this type of bike is to get one that's as clean as possible with as low miles as possible. It's not guaranteed but it will bring down the chances of buying a donkey.

In the year that I had this bike I never got anywhere near it's limits but I've learned a lot since riding a true super sports.

What are the bikes weak points?

The life expectancy of it's rider! When I went to pick it up I was crapping myself. I've had a few bikes the most powerful being a Bandit 1200. Nothing really prepared me for the insane beauty of how this bike performed.

The main reason I let her go was because I was getting seriously cocky and confident and, I don't mind admitting it, I scared myself a couple of times with just the thoughts of how that last stupid maneuver could have turned out.

OK so that's more down to my inability to control my urges than a bad thing about the bike but apart from that I couldn't fault it.

Ultra reliable, safe(in the right hands). About 35 mpg no matter how hard you ride it.

Verdict

I have no regrets at all buying a GSXR 1000. I know now that it was just somewhere I needed to go. Been there now so it's out of my system for now. I could have had the K5 or even an R1. If I had to do it again I'd still pick the K3.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so here's one for a laugh - I'll do this bike as the other one is nice

(see bottom of post)

2. Make / Model?

2006 Kawasaki ER5

1500 miles (since November 2018)

It's slim so great for filtering, it doesn't attract attention, it's got decent low down torque which makes town riding effortless and it's surprisingly fun on a twisty road. Basic, honest motorcycling!

The fuel gauge is as approximate as they come, it's carb'd so requires faffing with a choke when starting it, no ABS so requires a bit of care in the wet, sounds like a sewing machine/lawnmower below 4k rpm and it's about as basic as they come

Your verdict?

Simple motorcycling done well; it's fun, quick enough for most things, reliable (touchwood), pretty good on fuel and was cheap to buy. Just approach it with the right expectations!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll add..

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/royal_enfield_650_interceptor_2019_20190327_01_blakelands_near_halfpenny_green_2.jpg

2. Make / Model?

Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor

It's nippy and agile, especially as the engine is loosening up, had it's first service. Good for filtering, will do 80 without thinking about it, but, it's great for lazy riding on country roads also

None, service intervals, especially to keep the warranty every 3000 miles, but, meh !

Your verdict?

I've only had this 3 weeks, and I'm loving riding it. Replaced my Mash 400 with it, a bike I really enjoyed for the almost 4 years I owned it.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well follow up the above, with the bike it specifically replaced.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/mash400_church_quatt.jpg

2. Make / Model?

Mash 400 Roadstar

~15000

What a lovely bike, nimble, slim,ace for filtering, got it replace my Royal Enfield Bullet 350, and it turned out to be my favourite I've owned. 100% reliable, aside from a weak battery, rode all over the country with it. Effortless comfortable gentle riding.

Could do with just a few more mph at the top end, but, was still perfectly usable on the motorway

Your verdict?

Loved it, and I thouroughly recommend getting 1 if this is the style of bike you're after.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Review your bike Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/mDg6DGYf/WP-20171018-16-27-20-Pro.jpg

2. Make / Model?
Beta Xtrainer model 1

180hours

it's easy peasy to green lane on, weighs under 100kilos and has a 300cc 2T engine, it is easy to wheelie, I'm crap at wheelies, but I've done one or two and the odd unintended one

an absolute 'mare to ride on tarmac, and a highly strung Italian princess that needs some tlc

Your verdict?

most fun I've ever had on a bike

Last edited by thx1138 on 13:43 - 16 Apr 2019; edited 1 time in total

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And finally for today at least, might as well do the bike that the above specifically replaced.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/royal_enfield_bullet_350_2006_20160916_the_cider_house_1.jpg

2. Make / Model?

Royal Enfield 350 Bullet

Can't remember

Be an Enfield !! it would go on forever, and take you anywhere, just not very quickly. Had lots of character.

It's an Enfield, however, it was reliable, just a little too slow, final straw was riding up the A5 out of Shrewsbury into a headwind, and simply not being able to get abvoe 50 Sad Replaced by the Mash 400, which provided a similar riding experience, but, with just a little more oomph

Your verdict?

Loved it for all it's quirks, must have done, I had it for over 6 years, now gone full circle, from Royal Enfield, to Mash, to Royal Enfield

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/ktm_990_smt.jpg

2. Make / Model?

KTM 990 SM-T

About 2,000

Accelerate. Corner. Stop. Cover long distances in reasonable comfort. Look good.

After my previous bike, this is such a nimble thing - really chuckable yet stable and comfortable enough for touring.

Fuelling. It snatches at low speeds and drinks fuel like the QE2. I'm getting it remapped this weekend to try and solve the low speed snatchiness, which is a feature of this bike. I think the fuel use is partly down to the fact it gets up to speed so quickly I ride everywhere at least 10 mph faster than I used to on the old bike, and the acceleration is intoxicating so I do it a lot.

Your verdict?

It took a while for me to get my head around it after the 17-year familiarity of my last bike (a creamy-smooth, carb-fed, 600cc inline-4 sports tourer). If I'm honest I am still finding my way with it, but every ride gives me more confidence with it. I'm still not used to having to stop so often for fuel though.

Last edited by weasley on 12:46 - 17 Apr 2019; edited 1 time in total

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/4omoiVU.jpg

2. Make / Model?

SV650S Curvy

Approx. 8,000

Fun: As my first big bike it felt like a fucking rocket. It was a perfect start to riding a bigger capacity bike and was fast enough to be fun but not too quick to get you into a shit load of trouble.

Twin: It had the engine breaking that a twin provides. This felt like an extra brake that added to the feeling of security and control.

Boring: After around 6-8 months I started getting bored with it. The rev range ended too soon.

Carb: It was a bitch to start in the winter, and would run out of battery fairly quickly. Could have just been that particular bike but it had it's preferred way to be turned on, foreplay was a must.

6. Your verdict?

Fantastic as a first time bike. I loved it to bits when I first got it. Would definitely reccommend to newbies. I probably would have another as a commuter as it did what it was supposed to, but the thrill does wear off eventually.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/9RvluI8l.jpg

2. Make / Model?
1996 Honda VFR750FT

5K, but she's done 114K.

Noise! V4, no baffle, gear driven cams.
Eats miles.
Reliability, considering her age and general neglect before I bought her.
Surprising ability to get a shift on.

90's Honda Electrics.

6. Your verdict
Will very likely buy another if it gives up.

Last edited by ThatDippyTwat on 06:47 - 17 Apr 2019; edited 1 time in total

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Picture of your bike

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/46899768164_5471b23cc2_h.jpg

2. Make / Model?

GSXR 1000 K1

Off the top of my head 22000(ish)

It's fast(A previous owner spent many ponds on the engine and other bits).

Handles well.

Comfortable compared to more recent superbikes (though the rearsets negate this a bit).

Sounds glorious at full chat.

Gearbox like a swiss watch (though I have found this on any Suzuki I've ridden).

It's a Gixxer so it releases the inner hooligan, every time you ride it.

It's a Gixxer so you can cause knicker elastic to snap at a range of 100 meters.

Surprisingly useful storage in the seat hump.

Pillion seat is an after thought forged from a block of iron (or so the wife tells me).

It's a Suzuki so the finish on the fairings is shit..... like proper, proper shit.

Tokico 6 pots.

If you look at the photo on the belly there is a renthal sticker, just above that to the right is a hole for a fairing bolt, you need hands the size of a Hobbit with dwarfism to get the bolt through the bracket on the other side and then get a nut on it.

6. Your verdict?

It's a Gixxer Thou, if I have to sell it to you in words it's the wrong bike for you (and you'll find the bike you need in the Hello Kitty store).

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/33746746498_1d5ecdfe9d_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/1799/28854486057_65d4ef9ad2_h.jpg

2. Make / Model?

I lumped 2 together as they are basically the same

1st pic 2004 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (E11)
2nd pic Kawasaki 1991 ZZR 400K (with a 600D motor shoved in there)

Just over 4000 on the blue one and about 69000 on the black one

Comfort, you can ride these things all day with nothing but fuel stops. Then repeat the following day.

Very stable and well planted (it carries its 210KG wet weight well) makes half awake filtering on a morning commute a doddle.

Really light clutch, again good for urban riding.

Goes well for a 600 with an old engine design, I think it was the first 150+MPH 600CC production bike (154 alleged top speed) and it is a (little bit) less gutless low down than a more highly strung supersport.

Bulletproof, the one in the second photo was abused, servicing was stretched out, it did 69000 miles in 2 years, I crashed it more times than I can remember and other than cosmetics it wouldn't die.

Pillion provision is great (or so the wife tells me).

You can strap ridiculous amounts of luggage and stuff to it.

Accurate (for a bike) fuel gauge on the E model (the older one didn't have such a luxury as a fuel gauge)

Decent fuel economy, even when winding on a bit I can usually stay in the low to mid 40's MPG. I've managed low 50's when being mostly sensible on the motorway.

Tokico 4 pots (as with many '90's Kwaks) are a bit crap if not religiously maintained (in the 2nd picture you can see I swapped them for Nissins).

Rear shock lets the bike down, if you buy one budget for a YSS, the improvement to handling is enormous. Did it to both of mine.

Changing the headlight bulb can be a pain in the arse unless you have tiny hands and very bendy arms.

You notice the weight when manhandling it.

Stock exhausts not anti social enough.

6. Your verdict?

Best testament I can give the ZZR is that after I sold the one that wouldn't die I missed it and 18 months later bought a low mile (14k) late production one.

Ok it's no superbike (but I have one of them too Laughing ), it's a comfortable mile muncher that with a decent rear shock added can still raise a smile when pushed hard (and you can find one to suit any budget).

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Picture of your bike

https://i68.tinypic.com/23r1jwy.jpg

2. Make / Model?

Honda FJS600 Silver Wing

About 8000 in the last year, almost to the day (yesterday)

Weather protection - if I remember to keep my knees tucked in, the only thing that gets wet is my upper arms, accessory hand guards and fairing extenders help.

Luggage capacity - underseat storage is huge, with the added topbox, a week's shopping for one and all manner of other crap is consumed with ease.

Ease of use - this is the real sucker punch, it's just so effortless, I don't have to think about anything other than where I am on the road and what's coming up next. Wanna go faster? Open the throttle. Wanna slow down? Hit the brakes (linked system, works very well) Apart from that, it's just sit back and enjoy the ride, the most liberating experience I've had on 2 wheels.

Mine is a bit of a shed (although it's not doing bad for a bike with hundreds of owners and 50K+ on the clock, plus I didn't pay a lot for it) so it's a bit rattly, because 17 year old tired plastics.

Also, don't buy a bike from the first year of production - they suss out the problems and change things, which means cheap pattern parts may not be available, as I found when I needed a new plug n play reg/rec.

I'm now trying to decide if I invest a few quid in this one, or out it, pool my resources and buy a newer, lower mileage example.

If I put money into it, a bit more acceleration would be good, so some non standard weight rollers will be on the shopping list.

6. Your verdict?

Truth be told, I was extremely sceptical about buying a maxi scooter and if the right Deauville had presented itself, I would be writing about that instead.

However, drawing a veil over the aggro I had sorting out the charging system, the last year has been a very positive experience and if anyone is teetering on the edge of the whole bike V scooter snobfest, I recommend you give a twist n go a try, you may be as pleasantly surprised as I was.

Last edited by Shaft on 23:29 - 16 Apr 2019; edited 2 times in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:14 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Review your bike Reply with quote

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/VFR/1CIMG1607_zps029b660f.jpg

2. Make / Model?
1991 VFR750 FL

It goes from A to B with minimum fuss. Regardless of the distance between A and B

It goes faster than it has any right to.

It qualifies for vintage insurance.

It is super reliable and extremely well built. It was put together as if it was intended to be taken apart again. The build tolerances are mind bogglingly precise.

Long service intervals.

Thirsty.

Standard brakes are woefully inadequate.

Heavy.

6. Your verdict?

It's my second one. I need a bike I can do 200 miles of motorway on then do a prolonged hoon round twisties, while heavily loaded with luggage, followed by another 200 miles of motorway. Every third weekend. This bike does that and doesn't even blink.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:30 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Review your bike Reply with quote

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Uc8BDJcpFShUPWPdl2p9CLYT42qmqoeH4xFPc8MAtL5J9iH598PT3zU004MeMLPVG0JxtCd6Pvb9izdSHubr30Ke5LMukWS6D-t1ulAIhG2A1P4osg5WFcswYS6J0PAj5kiT09pkVQ=w931-h698-no

2. Make / Model?
2007 Royal Enfiled Bullet Classic 350

70-80K miles

Nothing. But it has character.

Almost infinately repairable.

Cheap parts.

Low fuel consumption.

Sounds good.

12v electrics.

It's made of a mixture of melted down rupees and elephant dung by lazy, unskilled idiots using worn out machinery to a design made in the 1950's. They then put a drunk, blind guy in charge of QC.

It's not very fast (slower than a modern 125).

It doesn't pull very well.

The brakes aren't very effective.

The finish is extremely poor.

It burns shitloads of oil.

It's very hard to change gear.

The clutch slips under load and crabs while stationary.

Covers you and all your stuff in oil.

Low ground clearance round corners.

6. Your verdict?

Awesome bike. Goes anywhere and everywhere, just not in a hurry. I love that it's even allowed, a real kick in the teeth for safety nazis and the nanny state. Fuck you! If I want to ride a bike that holds up traffic but that I can't stop on, I will. Take a real piece of the 1950's home with you today!

It blew up recently. Dropped the head of the exhaust valve and mashed a hole in the piston. I will be fixing it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:39 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: Review your bike Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/Kk4ZdAG.jpg

2. Make / Model?

Suzuki GSXR 1000 L0

Got it at 5300 in May 2016, its now 8000, so around 1000 a year... 500 of those miles were in a weekend, so I rarely ride it Laughing It still has the same front tyre... Shocked

Go fast, like really fast.
Stops really REALLY well.
Cornering, shes got it.
Wheelies, shes got it.
Its such a lazy bike, I can just shove it in 6th and do whatever, perfect lazy ass commuter.

New tax bracket (lol)
Misses a bit of zing that you get with 600/675 engines, want to wind it up and its already in triple digits. Over 100mph in 1st is a downfall rather than a pro in this case.
Too easy to go fast.

6. Your verdict?

7.5/10, would have another if it came up cheap in the future. I miss the comfort of my old 5JJ R1, it also felt a little more frisky. It could do with not having twin cans, but the single can I had was too obnoxious and killed kittens.

I'd probably prefer a 675/765 or something if I was riding for fun.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Picture of your bike

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/r751/trevor_machine/P1040280_zpszdgqqqyr.jpg

2. Make / Model?

kawasaki klx250

dunno - a few thou, less than 5k - have owned it 3-4 years irrc; mileage is low because it's only used for green laning

It's easy to ride, linear power and predictable handling (off and on road). It's very reliable, and is strong and tough. Thai-bulit, iirc. It's the best of the 4t 250 singles currently available when VFM is considered. That said, the CRF250L probably experiences lower rates of depreciation.

For those who see riding on unmade roads as more like motorised pony-trekking, the klx250 is unburdened by serious vices. However, it'll be easily bested by anything orange, and any machine that has a whiff of competitive pedigree. Face the fact that the klx has made its power by 4-5k, likes a bit of short shifting, and prefers tracks to roads and you won't be disappointed.

Doesn't really need servicing as such - new oil / filter every 3 or 4k and that's it. Keep it clean-ish after use (not pressure washer, just brush the shit off once it's dried, then spray WD over it and it'll be fine).

Suspension is good.

It's a 4t 250 single so it IS a weak point. But okay, it's heavier than it should be (though lighter than its main competitor the CRF250L, and cheaper, with more adjustment in its suspension).

It also will NOT take a can. I looked forward to it shedding a few kilos w/ a slip on - but nope. It kept stalling - which when you're tackling something nadgery is a total PITA. Delcevic blithely state their product can be fitted and will operate properly without the bike requiring further modification, inc. re-mapping etc. etc. Like a tosser I believed them. What I should have done is gone to the US-based forum, adv.rider and browsed the extensive klx250 (EFI) thread where there's a wealth of info, including much disappointed discussion surrounding attempts to get the bike to run with different combinations of after-market pipes, cans and link pipes etc. etc. etc.

So - the oem can went back on and all was well with the world again, albeit a somewhat heavier world.

Other weak points - I personally think the bike is gutless. For me that's never really a problem, and in fact, something of a virtue. But no doubt many others would be pissed off.

The braced oem bars make fitting decent hand guards very difficult, and also after market renthals are way too fucking wide. Yes all of them.

The pegs are a little bit stingy once you've got whopping great rufty tufty boots on, and so being up on the pegs for a while can feel a but uncomfy - but tbh it's not too bad. I'm having to really try to find some cons.

I wish I could turn the headlight on and off because some of the trails I ride are illegal as fuck and I want to be as inconspicuous as possible.

It doesn't come with a sump guard - then again this isn't really much of an issue unless you're tackling rocky terrain or able to do stuff that would mean you probably deserve a better bike.

Stock tyres are shit for mud.

Looks-wise it can appear quite the sheep in wolf's clothing (this is actually a complement NB), but otoh, even the grabber-green ones seem somehow drab. I think this is down to the designs that kawasaki used for the stickers on the plastics rather than the plastics themselves. A minor point.

Seat's a bit of a twat. To be expected, of course. That said, bikes of this ilk can easily be made a bit comfier - my mkII crm250 wasn't as bad, and I think this was largely due to a more thoughtfully contoured seat. A Seat Concepts job is available from the States, but tbh you need to be up on the pegs most of the time if you're not on road. And if you *are* on road, this isn't really the bike to buy. Of course, the issue in all this is how long you need to be on the bike from home to them lanes of greenery. Trailer the cunt, maybe.

6. Your verdict?

It's the best bike for initial forays into green laning. It's very quiet, easy to ride, toughly constructed, and ridden w/ a modicum of sympathy and skill, plus a bit of after-use TLC + maintenance, will outlive its owner.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:01 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

find one later - its the tricolor scheme ppl should know what that is

2. Make / Model?

Honda CBR600RR 2016

Around 4k?

Cornering. I'm by most standards a pretty novice rider. Passed in Jan 2017 and only really ride in nice weather at weekends so i dont cover that many miles a year on the bike in general.
Despite my lack of experience I find i can throw this bike into corners with ease due to its v light weight and other geometry. B road blasting down to the lakes / hawes on some really fun fast tight twisties. The confidence this bike gives you is insane.

Low down power. Top end power.
With most 600's youll find the power only really exists above 8krpm. This bike is no different. Low speed stuff in towns /cities you really have to keep the revs up or you wont go....

Top end power - well this is debateable *cough* a mate *cough* got to 150 so just depends how top end you want the top end to be..

6. Your verdict?

I can only compare it to a 125CG and a 650 CBS. Smashes both out of the park (obviously).

All the bike i need and definitely all i can use as a newer rider

8/10

will have to report backin 5 years if i get a blade

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper bike thread, I'm enjoying this Thumbs Up

Won't do my own, as I think I've splurged it enough on this forum as it is.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Proper bike thread, I'm enjoying this Thumbs Up

Won't do my own, as I think I've splurged it enough on this forum as it is.

Come on, share the wealth. Newbies won't know your affinity to Fazers.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/chituma_ctm-125_2005_2.jpg

2. Make / Model?

Chituma CTM-125

I seem to remember it was about 20K before it was stolen

Basically anything a late 80's, early 90's CG125 could do, with the added bonus of electric start. Handled an 80 mile a day round trip commute perfectly happily. Excellent for filtering, and, even quick enough for the odd motorway stint.

Well, it's only a 125, but, most of it's weak points were me being a novice rider.

6. Your verdict?

Will always have a soft spot for the bike. It was my first, bought it on ebay, and it arrived crated and part assembled. It took a fair amount of abuse, as, as well as it being my first bike, it got my brother, missus, stepson and brother in law through their cbts, as, well as my first test !!

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: BCF Bike Reviews Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/3vKJLZA.jpg

2. Make / Model?

2013 Triumph Street Triple (but with stiffer suspension).

It does everything fairly well. It's all day comfortable, fairly quick, handles on rails, tours ok once you add luggage, gets 55mpg if sensible and 48mpg if not.
It's very well made (except for wiring loom rubbing around ignition barrel). It's long first gear makes mincemeat of most things in traffic light GP.
But what it does best is corners and smiles. You brake later than anything else, throw it in with 100% confidence it's no way near its limit and get on the gas earlier than anything else. Taking absolute liberties to find that limit and still not getting there years later.

No fairing, no wind protection. Hours spent on motorways are much more draining because of it.
With such a predictable / linear power band, it can seem a bit gutless.
It's been finely engineered, so working on it is a bit more of a pain because the space / clearance around things under the tank are limited.
The underseat storage is minimal compared to late 90's / early 00's bikes (although I have got a multimeter, spare clutch cable and a small bottle of oil).
130 mile tank to warning light is about 30 too short for its comfort.
It's IMPOSSIBLE to ride it sensibly. I've not had too many bikes, but of anything I've had, nothing demands to be ridden inappropriately all the time like the Striple.

6. Your verdict?
If it had another 20bhp and 10lb torque, a bikini fairing, more underseat storage and a few mm clearance between components and a slightly larger fuel tank it would be perfect.
If I could only own 1 bike from those I've had / have. This would be it.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: BCF Bike Reviews Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/UDvyl2F.jpg

2. Make / Model?

2000 SV650S

Commute. Pic above shows it, it's so narrow! Fold the mirrors in and you practically disapear (as proven by the number of near misses commuting before getting a loud can).
55mpg
Lots of underseat storage.
Cheap to insure, cheap parts.
Overtaking in NSL traffic doing 40-50. It had instant GO, but then instantly ran out of puff. But that bottom end shove was enough for easy 1 car hops.
Noise. Under hard acceleration it sounded like a V8, that machine gun hammer. But it was the roll off into corners, the "BOOooooo" that was also a joy.

Ultimately a slow bike, but well suited to UK roads / traffic.
Finish was ok but not great.
Brakes seemed to gum up every 3k miles.
Suspension was poor, very undersprung unless you were 8st
Green ignition block was positioned around front of rad. It collected a lot of road water/shite and would leave you stranged once corroded enough.
Limited official front mudguard meant exhaust studs took a pasting of road salt and potentially (like mine) took a weekend of grinding and hot / cold treatment to get off.
Cylinder 2 was undercooled and consequently the cause of many engine failures below 50k miles. Mine went bang on the A3 at 52k miles.
Front cyl exhaust studs took a pasting of road shite (as did the front cyl itself, causing a missfire and the SV650 to become SV325). A fender extender sorts the issue.
Reg/Rec was bad and didn't seem to last 15k miles between going bang. Fitting a MOSFET unit solved the issue.

6. Your verdict?

There isn't much love for the humble SV. But I loved mine. Once the suspension and brakes had been updated, it handled and stopped well.
It made for a brilliant commuter and a good all rounder.
I remember Mayday run 2014 and I had a brilliant day thrashing the thing everywhere while others didn't get near the potential of their bikes.
I did a trackday on it (a very short track) and was easily out braking people and faster through the corners than even old litre sports bikes......but once they were into 2nd/3rd gear I was lost.
Suzuki were selling the 2014 version new for £4k. Very good value for a new bike at the time. Would i rather a MT07, ER6, or an SV. Definitely the SV.....but the standard suspension is borderline dangerous for people over 14st

Last edited by Pigeon on 21:36 - 24 Apr 2019; edited 1 time in total

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:22 - 18 Apr 2019    Post subject: Re: BCF Bike Reviews Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/poDb9wR.jpg

2. Make / Model?

2014 GSXR-1000 L5

Bang for buck. Your average S1000RR owner isn't going to lose you, even though their bike cost twice as much.
It still manages 50mpg
Noise. It's very civilised around town (below 5krpm). You don't need earplugs with the Yoshi. But once into the NSL and above 8k, she howls like a Lioness or pornhub.
Tractability and ease of use. Power and no ABS and no TC, but its not needed. The delivery is docile below 6k, with smooth throttle response.
Looks. I think Suzuki nailed it where Honda failed. Fireblade is dull by comparison.
Ease of access to work on. Unlike Triumph, who have engineered a bike (675) to be tiny, Suzuki have thought about servicing. I've genuinely enjoyed the little touches, with access holes to get a socket/screwdriver at a specific nut/bolt. It really is a simple /enjoyable bike to work on.

Wiring and fastener component quality. Bolts were rusting after 2k mostly dry miles.
Taking suspension linkage apart after 6k miles found more rust.
Electrical connector blocks are often old skool, with opportunity for water ingress.
Everything is very thin to save weight. Plastics, paint and in some places metal. It's very well thought out / engineered, but brittle in places.
Suspension. Considering it was Showa BPF front and Showa rear. At 16st found it either bouncy or harsh. Once resprung for my weight, it became a joy.
Because of the gearing, around town it's more work than the Striple. I can't bimble into a roundabout in 3rd and expect it to drive cleanly out. It needs to be fed gears a bit.
Seat isn't great after 100 miles, but riding position in general is uncomfortable after 70 miles anyway. As you'd expect, it's not a tourer.

6. Your verdict?
A bike I struggled to like to begin with. I thought it looked cool, but struggled to bond with it. The speed was genuinely insane! I honestly felt the bike was pointless to me! Coming from a bike that demands to be kept singing in the red (Striple), the Gixxer was "dull" and then insane by comparison. I think coming from a vtwin (low down grunt, runs out of puff very early), triple (less grunt, but more linear delivery) took some adjustment to the IL4 fuck all, then time travel delivery.
It was Paddy who advised, "think of it like reserve". And that was key advise. Unlike other bikes, you don't need to deploy 100% of it 100% of the time.
I actually now find it the most relaxing ride. You can bimble about below 6k and feel fine about it (unlike Striple which demands to be thrashed). But presented with an overtake, a quick braap and its done. No fuss, no bother. Get onto the quick stuff and above 8k things get lively, but as long as your not ham fisted, its still involving not overwhelming.
It's almost my perfect bike. But again, it took heavier springs front/back to accommodate my fat ass and the quality of parts for year round use is an issue.....albeit not a massive one.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 19 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Picture of your bike

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/40676723983_4b77409115_b.jpgSouth Tunnel by Craig David, on Flickr

2. Make / Model?

CCM 404DS

Not many! Only about 2400 so far. It's early days with this one.

Do well? It's a supermoto - they're machines that put huge grins on your face. It handles surprisingly well on the current tyres: Pirelli diablo rosso 2s.
This bike has the DRZ400 engine in it but with added tweaks. The actual DRZ is lacking in many ways and a huge aftermarket support network exists to make the things much more lively. This bike comes as standard with those go faster parts already on/in.
The main reason for buying this bike was the engine. They're less stressed than the orange things and will outlast them. This engine has 30k miles on it now (bike is 15 years old) and although it's a bit noisy, it still goes very well.
The rest of the bike makes for a good machine: White Power suspension front and rear (fully adjustable), Brembo brakes front and rear, Magura bars, Scorpion exhaust. Quality components with full aftermarket spares availability.

Weak points? A few!
The seat is a right pain in the arse - I liken it to sitting on a plank of wood sideways. The designer was a sadistic b*stard.
The engine could do with another 10hp. Sure it has plenty but I dunno. Some greed on my part?
The speedo is made by Acumen (British company) and is known for failing. It cannot be repaired and there is no direct replacement. Mine is failing (parts of the digital numbers don't light up) and will be replaced by a cheapo digital one for a bicycle.
The engine has lots of miles on it and I dunno. It doesn't smoke, starts immediately, doesn't leak but I might rebuild the whole thing. New cam chain, crank, that sort of thing. Might even be easier buying a used engine. A job for next Winter and time will tell..
Tank capacity is around 2 gallons and it limits the range.

6. Your verdict?

Yes!
I've been away from bikes for a long time. I'd always wanted to get back into owning one and this fitted the bill for me. I didn't want stupid amounts of power and wanted something big (to carry big me), light (it's 128 kilos) and something with huge parts availability. The engine is a more reliable one which was a bonus and made choosing it easy.
Yes I still want something orange but for now this suits me fine. I just need to toughen my arse somehow.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 363 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2