Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Engine Tuner In Norwich

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Engine Tuner In Norwich Reply with quote

I'm hoping to get a lot of stuff done to my Fazer this year - I'm putting it in early for it's 48k service - which is the biggest one and will cost me well over £500.

I'm concerned, though, because it has been very vibey and seems to be getting worse. I say "very vibey" - the vibrations aren't that bad, but are there most of the time, to varying degrees.

I'm pretty sure a good carb-tune will do a lot of good, in addition to the tappets being checked, which is part of that service, but I've had vibey bikes before that came out of servicings no better - in fact, I've had bikes that went into dealer servicings fine and came out with nasty vibes.

So I'm thinking that if it doesn't cure most of the vibes, I'd like to get the engine properly tuned up. I don't know if it currently has an Ivan's fitted - if not, I'll get it done.

Question is where to have it done. I distinctly remember reading in bike mags (back in the 90's, when I used to read them), about some place in Norfolk, I think - may well have been Norwich, which isn't too far away from me.

Anyone know it?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help with your question but likelyhood is the carbs are needling balanced. It's an easy enough job if you have the tools but I doubt many garages will actually do it unless you specifically ask as it can be a faff.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carbs definitely need balancing - should be done on the servicing. Without ensuring the tappet shims are okay, balancing alone would be a waste of time.

I'm seriously considering doing a retorque of the frame bolts, though.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a set of vacuum gauges and do it yourself. Piece of piss and even an expensive set of gauges will be cheaper than putting it into a shop. Thumbs Up

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shiwaki-Carburetor-Vacuum-Gauge-Synchronizer/dp/B07PBQJG6C/ref=sr_1_20?adgrpid=54810705082&hvadid=259050248632&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9046056&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o3&hvqmt=b&hvrand=15135846012312761561&hvtargid=aud-615477028318%3Akwd-296659472360&keywords=carburettor+synchronizer&qid=1555438740&s=gateway&sr=8-20

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 16 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt carb balance is part of the service. Might be but I'd ask if I were you.

Go over the bike looking for loose bolts, especially engine mount bolts (the long through-the-case ones). Loose engine bolts can make a bike very vibey.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1