Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Disc lock opinion?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Disc lock opinion? Reply with quote

Oxford Boss Alarmed Disc Lock 16mm shackle is £55 at Sportsbikeshop.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/55920 (select 16mm size).

The alarm might be useful if it's within earshot. Alarm can be on or off. It can double as a padlock.

Is there anything better for the price? If so, what, & why?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest concern with that style is how accessible the shackle is, although 16mm is pretty hefty. Alarms . . . I use on at home (an Abus disclock) but am always wary of using it out and about because it seems so sensitive I reckon a windy day would set the thing off. Not sure if they do much as anyone swinging boltcroppers or angle grinders around probably isn't that bothered; useful if you're within earshot I guess as you can come running if you hear it.

Personally I use this when I'm out and about - it's hardly cutting edge with an 11mm shackle, but it's virtually impossible to get to said shackle and it'll fit through my sprocket if I want it to.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/55941

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered whether the alarm was worth having as an extra feature. Ward off the less committed thief, perhaps. If just around the corner, & the thing's chained up too, or in the office nearby, the owner might hear it....

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I wondered whether the alarm was worth having as an extra feature. Ward off the less committed thief, perhaps. If just around the corner, & the thing's chained up too, or in the office nearby, the owner might hear it....

Maybe, probably depends on how jumpy the thief is. If it's someone determined I doubt they'll be bothered, but like you say might just be that extra later of deterrent to ward off an opportunist.

Either way though, it's not a bad price for a 16mm lock and it could be used for a chain too so it's quite versatile I guess.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 17 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sound of the grinder will just wash out the alarm anyway

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:16 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Motorbike-Scooter/Brake-disc-locks/GRANIT-Sledg-77 when on offer from Sportsbike Shop. Seems to be very decent, well concealed bolt too. I couldn't make up my mind to go with chain or disc lock. Disc lock is way less bother to carry and if they're prepared to have a go at it they'll probably have a go at anything you secure your bike with. Putting the opportunist off is the best I'm hoping for.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:29 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with disc locks is they're easier for people to forget about unless they come with those neon leads.

ThunderGuts wrote:
but am always wary of using it out and about because it seems so sensitive I reckon a windy day would set the thing off.

That's what happened with the ones I've seen too.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:41 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want something with a closed shackle.

The alarm bit is a nice idea but no one is going to care about it going off.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:32 - 20 May 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alarms are everywhere and sound almost all the same - even local wild birds here copy the things. A thief will drop chewing gum into the speaker part to quieten it.
If they want something, they'll have it. Locks slow them down that's all. Just a shame we can't leave grenades tied to things.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 336 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1