Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extinction Rebellion or how not to win an argument

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence use of the phrase 'power-generating' rather than 'electricity-generating'....
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 03 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Or put them in jail's? I wonder what the output in watts of our prison population would actually be?

Between 8 and 10 kilowatts, estimated.

With "incentives", possibly three times that, but output would be spasmodic.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

You might have pretended not to be talking about electric generation,

You do make me laugh!!! It isn't a matter of me 'pretending' to not talk about electricity generation when talking about Victorian prisons - I wasn't 'pretending' about anything because I wasn't 'pretending' that Victorian treadmills in prisons were used for generating electricity.

A lot of the time the power wasn't actually used for anything, and the treadmill was used for exercise/punishment. This is part of the reason why the Government banned them.

If you want to try to score points, pick a subject you know something about rather than assuming that your ability to Google makes you cleverer than everybody else Rolling Eyes
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the point of my idea is that it's voluntary. It'd fail dismally of course. After the initial flurry of mini-celebs being pictured on the modified exercise bikes and "doing their bit" (selflessly, I might add, and without desire for publicity to boost their so called career...)

Anyhoo, after the song and dance the place will be deserted. I'd then try and drum up some interest in the local press:

"...it's this generation. They say they want to save the planet but they just don't want to put the effort in! That's why, from this weekend, we're introducing a new incentive system. For every kilowatt hour you generate you'll be rewarded with a virtue point and you can spend these at the end of a session on a range of vegan-friendly milkshakes available in the cafeteria. What's that? Flavours? No, I'm not expecting anyone will actually drink them..."

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Ah, you've Googled it so you now know what your talking about. Good one.

I'll believe you. Nice back pedal. Thumbs Up

I presume that is a pun? Laughing

No, I happen to know about these things because my daughter is studying crime and punishment for GCSE History and Victorian prisons is a topic I have helped her with.

Also, I don't need to Google to know that Victorian treadmills weren't used to generate electricity, because the rotation of a treadmill is very slow and not sufficient to generate a useable current without complicated and potentially unreliable gearing. Also, any current generated would be sporadic due to a lack of practical batteries. Also, there was no National Grid until after WW1, so any current generated would have to be used locally, and Victorian prisons didn't use electricity until a reliable and consistent source was available. This doesn't require Google to understand, but I'm sure if you Google it you will find that I am correct....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:17 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on tenderhooks waiting to find out how you are going to blame the mussies.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:36 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I'm still on tenderhooks waiting to find out how you are going to blame the mussies.

https://i.imgflip.com/34x6nx.jpg

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:
my daughter is studying crime and punishment for GCSE History and Victorian prisons is a topic I have helped her with.

That should come in useful in life. Thumbs Up

Not sure if you are being sarcastic here... Assuming you are, how else can a kid learn about who they are bar studying history?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:15 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I wanted to study subjects which may be useful in life and career

I am very happy for you and your positive life choices. Given that you do something in computers for a living, that makes English Language, Computer Studies and possibly Maths as relevant. Actually, forget Computer Studies as you would have been learning outdated stuff, and Maths you can do on a calculator, so that just leaves English Language. What did you study for the other 8 GCSEs that was more relevant to life than History?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, what use is knowing the difference between kinetic and mechanical energy, the difference between a chloride and a chlorate, what a stamen is and which countries produce coco-beans to your job with computers? Languages perhaps if you use them in addition to English...

Face it, other than English Language and a bit of Maths, 99% of what is taught at school isn't strictly relevant to our jobs. Without it though, you wouldn't know who you are, where you came from and what exists beyond your PlayStation. Without that you don't have the ability to form a reasoned view on anything...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Santayana wrote:
Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
George Santayana wrote:
Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

That's utter shite. Humans always repeat themselves despite what history says.

We still have wars. We still have oppression. We still have religion. We still have genocide etc. etc.

Some of the world learns from history and tries to do better. The rest learn from history and try to do worse.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:29 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose "insert rod A into slot B" could apply to both engineering and biology...

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:
Out of curiosity, what use is knowing the difference between kinetic and mechanical energy, the difference between a chloride and a chlorate, what a stamen is and which countries produce coco-beans to your job with computers? Languages perhaps if you use them in addition to English...

Face it, other than English Language and a bit of Maths, 99% of what is taught at school isn't strictly relevant to our jobs. Without it though, you wouldn't know who you are, where you came from and what exists beyond your PlayStation. Without that you don't have the ability to form a reasoned view on anything...

Those studies teach you how things work in the here and now. A skill set which can come in useful from everything from technology to mechanics to medicine, which let’s face it, is just biological mechanics.

I agree, but you criticising a child's choice of History because she may not use what she learns in later life is so hypocritical unless you actually use all the things you learned at school in your job.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 04 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 'B' in GCSE History, I quite enjoyed the subject. Shame about the propaganda but that's schools for you.

Knowing things like "why are there bricked up windows in Charlestown?" because before rateable value there was "Window Tax." What a sad way to fund a war!

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Bit like that mouthy snob who said plane travel should be banned but still went on skiing holidays abroad.

I wanted to pledge my support to him but his facebook profile has strangely been deleted.
Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 09 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardlyDavidson wrote:
I got a 'B' in GCSE

And after that admission you expect to be taken seriously? Isn't that like a 'D' in a GCE?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 10 Jul 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
HardlyDavidson wrote:
I got a 'B' in GCSE

And after that admission you expect to be taken seriously? Isn't that like a 'D' in a GCE?

You're thinking of CSEs...

Originally: O-levels for bright kids (A/B/C/D/E/U) and CSEs for thick kids (grades 1 to 5). CSE Grade 1 was effectively a GCSE C.

Weirdly I have two O-levels and 8 GCSEs being at school at just the time they changed over Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 289 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 10 of 55