Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extinction Rebellion or how not to win an argument

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If what they are doing helps to persuade a future Government to reduce C02 emissions faster then a little inconvenience for a few people is a small price to pay. Labour have picked up on the idea that reducing C02 emissions is a potential vote-winner, and I have no doubt that campaigns like ER have contributed to this view. If people don't shout about something, Governments don't act....

It comes down to whether you think that we contribute to global warming or not, and whether you think that we as a nation should lead the way in slowing it down or whether we should not have a view.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I'm the last person that could be accused of being a tree hugger but these people have the right to a peaceful protest. How far that right extends is open to discussion but I'm not sure this heavy handed policing is the way to go.

Extinction Rebellion activists defy police order to end protests across London

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/extinction-rebellion-activists-defy-police-order-to-end-protests-across-london-11364402777581

I see no issue with this, so long as it's fully enforced and consistent

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he Met said there had been 1,457 arrests by 08:45 BST on Tuesday, in connection with the nine days of Extinction Rebellion protests in London.

Peaceful?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only a matter of time before some kind of opposing group is formed who will scare the hippy c*nts to death with violence if need be.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:55 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

3 Tarquins "glued" themselves (apparently) to the road blocking the dual carriageway A20 towards Dover the other week. Reports were that the police arrived just in time to stop a few burly HGV drivers from helping them with their imaginary glue situation.

Fast setting polyurethane would probably do the trick.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

South America is looking a bit barren in that map tho...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell that to Brazil's BURN baby BURN president.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the whinging about the disruption, its less of a problem than what the protestors are demonstrating about. It's not just about carbon emissions either its about all sorts of other planning issues for human activity that effects the environment.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:09 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I'm just not sure there is any actual glue in some of these protests. I bet they'd soon get up if one of the cars failed to slow down quick enough when they first blocked the 70mph dual carriageway with no police help .

No, I was suggesting someone ACTUALLY glues them to the road with fast setting polyurethane. See how they like that.

I always thought the trick would be to cordon off the area where they've glued themselves to something, set up a diversion and leave them there. There was something similar at the Gare Loch nuclear submarine base a few years ago. Some CND protesters had chained themselves to the gate. Unfortunately, they'd not chained themselves ACROSS the gates. They simply opened the gates and left them hanging there as they carried on with business. Laugh??? I nearly shit myself.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
For all the whinging about the disruption, its less of a problem than what the protestors are demonstrating about. It's not just about carbon emissions either its about all sorts of other planning issues for human activity that effects the environment.

It's OK though because local councils left right and centre are declaring a climate emergency, no new economic activity will be allowed -, unless perhaps you propose an organic hemp knitted willy warmer factory.

Or maybe they are virtue signalling and will carry on approving stuff depending on back handers etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:51 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Labour council (Plymouth) has declared a climate emergency yet the Council Leader would like to see the airport reopened. We also have a ban on single use plastics, although it's a voluntary ban they claim we are a Plastic free city. Major new road and house building underway as the council pursues it's aim of growing the local population by 30,000 all whilst a declared climate emergency is in place.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Council declaring a climate emergency doesn't mean anything for planning decisions, unless the designation and accompanying policies are incorporated into the Development Plan and Adopted by the Secretary of State.

Councils may refuse things thinking that they are doing the right thing, but without direction from above they will lose at Appeal and have to pay the appellant's costs if deemed 'unreasonable' by the Planning Inspectorate.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:59 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

It comes down to whether you think that we contribute to global warming or not, and whether you think that we as a nation should lead the way in slowing it down or whether we should not have a view.

Can I have a choice somewhere between the two?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
It comes down to whether ....you think that we as a nation should lead the way .....

That's the thing though, as a nation we are not the biggest polluter by a significant margin which we all know. So who is leading the way at the moment and how are they doing it? Is anyone pointing out the lessons we can learn and the practical policies that can be implemented?
At the moment the whole XR movement seems to be ultra wealthy individuals funding the argument that everyone else should be taxed more and heavily restricted.
It's not something most people are going to get behind.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/HollyJoCollins/status/1184713537232556032?s=20
About time too
Disrupting public transport especially electric trains doesn't seem quite on message anyway.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
https://twitter.com/HollyJoCollins/status/1184713537232556032?s=20
About time too
Disrupting public transport especially electric trains doesn't seem quite on message anyway.

No excuse for violence? Thinking

I'm protesting illegally and infringing your rights.
I'm defending my rights with a punch to your nuts. Now get the fck outa my way I'm late for work.

It does sound pretty justifiable to me. Thumbs Up

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice new Avatar Diggs.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are they protesting on Tube Trains anyway?

I would have thought they would be relatively environmentally friendly, instead of all those commuters using cars etc.

EDIT: This agrees with what Doggone already wrote, sorry.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 17 of 55