Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extinction Rebellion or how not to win an argument

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeywrencher wrote:
Minty wrote:

Except he sold his private jet some time ago but rock on guys......

And now goes by sailboat to races where no fuel is burnt?

Lolwut? He was called out as a hypocrit with a image of his jet. You then move the goal posts with a "but what about this this and this".

Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Mart_er6
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:15 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the French are striking again (this time 'cos they might be asked to retire at 64 - we can only dream of that!), but scroll down a bit - ER France are jumping on the bandwagon and vandalising E-Scooters..

Apparently E-Scooters aren't green enough for them - the wrong sort of green transport!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50643323

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 07 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mart_er6 wrote:
Yes, the French are striking again (this time 'cos they might be asked to retire at 64 - we can only dream of that!), but scroll down a bit - ER France are jumping on the bandwagon and vandalising E-Scooters..

Apparently E-Scooters aren't green enough for them - the wrong sort of green transport!

Well spotted!

"I swapped my car to an eco-diesel" - you monster, think of the Nitrous Oxides!

"I swapped my diesel for a hybrid" - still burning dinosaurs, dude.

"I swapped my hybrid for electric" - seriously, do you know how they mine lithium?

"I swapped my electric car for an electric bike" - still too much fossil fuel used to charge it, think of the planet, not yourself for once!

"I swapped my electric bike for a push bike" - they use all sorts of chemicals to refine the metal in bike frames...

"I'm walking from now on." - the plastics in those shoes come from oil. Gaia is literally bleeding to death because of you.

"I'm walking in all leather shoes." - murderer!

"I'm walking in shoes weaved from sustainable hemp crops." - now you're getting it Smile

"My feet hurt, I'm miserable, I think I'm gonna kill myself." - wise choice, just make sure you're not cremated and buried in a biodegradable casket.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 08 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Mart_er6 wrote:

Well spotted!

"I swapped my car to an eco-diesel" - you monster, think of the Nitrous Oxides!

"I swapped my diesel for a hybrid" - still burning dinosaurs, dude.

"I swapped my hybrid for electric" - seriously, do you know how they mine lithium?

"I swapped my electric car for an electric bike" - still too much fossil fuel used to charge it, think of the planet, not yourself for once!

"I swapped my electric bike for a push bike" - they use all sorts of chemicals to refine the metal in bike frames...

"I'm walking from now on." - the plastics in those shoes come from oil. Gaia is literally bleeding to death because of you.

"I'm walking in all leather shoes." - murderer!

"I'm walking in shoes weaved from sustainable hemp crops." - now you're getting it Smile

"My feet hurt, I'm miserable, I think I'm gonna kill myself." - wise choice, just make sure you're not cremated and buried in a biodegradable casket.

It comes down to the difference between left and right wing politics. The modern left in Britain have virtue as their guiding principle, but virtue signalling is a competitive activity so simply matching the outrage/virtue of another is not enough. You must be even more angry, and show that you care even more, and do so more publicly. Environ-mentalists and vegans are the worst offenders for this kind of thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im-a-Ridah wrote:
...You must be even more angry, and show that you care even more, and do so more publicly. Environ-mentalists Communists and vegans Marxists are the worst offenders for this kind of thing.

FTFY Wink

I do wonder why they even bother with the whole eco / veggie facade when even peeling back just one layer through some light research reveals the true message: sedition and treason.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 11 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-50680781

Quote:
They try so desperately to silence us

So say's Time Magazine's "Person of the Year." I take it Scandinavians don't do irony Shocked

I remember a time when a journalist's job would be to ask "who are 'they' and what are they doing to silence you?"

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 20 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have genuine proof that sea levels are rising...

I've detected the sun has been setting earlier every day for the past 6 months now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 01 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Last Leg’s Rosie Jones had the rest of the panel shocked when she dropped a shocking joke about climate activist Greta Thunberg.

‘Greta’s amazing and what she’s doing is brilliant,’ she declared. ‘But don’t do it now. She needs to live a little, she’s only 16. ‘She should be doing two things – drinking Lambrini and getting fingered.’

I laughed, I really really laughed but she is going to get the flack for that. Laughing

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/31/last-legs-rosie-jones-drops-shocking-greta-thunberg-joke-fans-reeling-11984146/?ito=social&fbclid=IwAR3xyhxvunNExIzd52syC2X_SdRSrvWdulhQwLlTc9Xg8BAo0WGZIQpFyjI

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 01 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the doomsday cult's predictions are looking hilariously wrong lately because when they first got going properly about 30 years ago 2020 seemed a long way off.

Siberian Britain any day now
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2004/feb/22/usnews.theobserver
and
https://www.foxnews.com/us/top-5-most-outrageous-2020-doomsday-predictions

Truth is Environmentalism has been largely hi-jacked by anti-capitalists, mind there's an awful lot of money being made out of 'green' industry.
https://youtu.be/SrFrq4Mame0

It's clear enough that longer term we'll need to move away from fossil fuels but not because of an imminent climate 'emergency' (the latest scary buzzword).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:07 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ^^
I'm of an age (like many here) where at school we had so many conflicting predictions of doom and gloom and not one has surfaced.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:51 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

More electric vehicle stuff....

Wireless charging for electric taxis to be launched in UK first

Sounds good yes? Well sort of. Digging a bit deeper it's for just 5 taxis, all of which will need special hardware.

Electric taxis in the city will be able to recharge their batteries by parking over five plates in the road while waiting for their next passengers.

Another interesting statement in the article was

Wireless charging was launched for buses in Milton Keynes in 2014, but the vehicles could only recharge at the start and end of their routes.

Uh, Duh. When else would you expect them to be able to recharge? at every stop? Actually I didn't know that was implemented. 2014 so nothings progressed much since then.

So, as much as I want to say this is progress, 5 charging points and major modifications to the vehicles to me doesn't bode well for mass implementation. When it comes, and it will, what happens if the technology the car manufacturers agree on is completely different to what's already been installed. Also, who is going to dig up every road in the country to fit these plates when they can't even afford to fill in a pothole now.

https://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/wireless-charging-for-electric-taxis-to-be-launched-in-uk-first-11364425766994

Last edited by Polarbear on 11:43 - 17 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links would have been nice Wink

Charging at the start and end you say Thinking How about "charging" all along the route...

Surely now is the time for TrolleyBus 2.0 Laughing

Madness, to try and re-invent the wheel when there's a perfectly usable eco-friendly, electrically powered wheel already rolling around!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Links would have been nice Wink

Charging at the start and end you say Thinking How about "charging" all along the route...

Madness, to try and re-invent the wheel when there's a perfectly usable eco-friendly, electrically powered wheel already rolling around!

My apologies, added. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if you had charging plates at all major road stopping points, e.g first two rows of cars at the traffic lights. Congestion Charge for ICE vehicles going to pay for free wireless/trickle charging for any electric vehicles...

That'd be the jump-start to really move people onto electric. At least in the cities anyway. Installation costs? Some sort of "donation" from car manufacturers? (Seeing as it would be encouraging new car sales.)

Will power, vision, long term planning... it's not the electrical infrastructure that's a problem but the political.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:08 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
This ^^
I'm of an age (like many here) where at school we had so many conflicting predictions of doom and gloom and not one has surfaced.

We were supposed to have run out of oil by now anyway.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 17 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

ClimatePal.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Totally agree.

The old trolley buses that were around when I was a kid worked well. Also there is no need for bloody great batteries, just an electric motor. I'm sure they could come up with a modern rail system to power them.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 18 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Actually if you had charging plates at all major road stopping points, e.g first two rows of cars at the traffic lights. Congestion Charge for ICE vehicles going to pay for free wireless/trickle charging for any electric vehicles...

That'd be the jump-start to really move people onto electric. At least in the cities anyway. Installation costs? Some sort of "donation" from car manufacturers? (Seeing as it would be encouraging new car sales.)

Will power, vision, long term planning... it's not the electrical infrastructure that's a problem but the political.

Would that even dent the electrical usage of a vehicle? How quickly can these induction charges charge something?

Surely the couple of minutes a car can be at traffic lights and the charge it can take on wouldn't justify the cost of putting all the charging plates in.

You would be better off putting them in car parks but then you might as well put the cheapest system in, whether that be a cable or induction system.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

How efficient are wireless charging thingies compared to a simple plug? There has to be huge losses surely?
Mind you, I expect there will be bonuses for such devices - could they heat a frying pan for example? (I honestly don't know so please don't shout. Geordies are fragile) Be so easy to make an inductive loop and steal the leccy too.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a cheap chinese one I got for a phone did work but everything got worryingly hot so I stopped using it as it can't have been good for the battery.
Also you had to be position the phone just right or it didn't work properly if at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 19 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
How efficient are wireless charging thingies compared to a simple plug? There has to be huge losses surely?
Mind you, I expect there will be bonuses for such devices - could they heat a frying pan for example? (I honestly don't know so please don't shout. Geordies are fragile) Be so easy to make an inductive loop and steal the leccy too.

If that's true you would know where to find pikeys, parked over the top of them, cooking their breakfast to get their strength up before a days thieving.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:11 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
This ^^

From what I recollect the Isle of Wight is supposed to be entirely erroded and submerged by now, and London is supposed to be underwater too.

Last edited by BTTD on 14:21 - 23 Jan 2020; edited 1 time in total

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 21 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
This ^^

I'm of an age where at school we had predictions that everything was going to be better. None of them have come true either. Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 97 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 20 of 55