Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extinction Rebellion or how not to win an argument

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:
That should be obvious from the quoted sections...

No, you could have presented a point and left it at that. I did think it was an interesting point until the last line but that, for me personally, casts everything previously written into doubt. But you knew that, that's why you wrote it.

So who is the reply directed at? The other members of this forum or someone else?

Oh it was directed at you of course, but then you knew that too. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 21 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
Of course. Someone else may well reply or challenge though... Laughing

Oh I do hope so, be very boring otherwise.

Quote:
Oh it was directed at you of course, but then you knew that too.

Let's not waste time with "I know you are but what am I!" Smile

What I am failing to grasp is why you would attempt to impart important information and then sour it with abuse. Is this a habit you continue into IRL interactions?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:
Of course. Someone else may well reply or challenge though... Laughing

Oh I do hope so, be very boring otherwise.

Quote:
Oh it was directed at you of course, but then you knew that too.

Let's not waste time with "I know you are but what am I!" Smile

What I am failing to grasp is why you would attempt to impart important information and then sour it with abuse. Is this a habit you continue into IRL interactions?

I fail to grasp why you would insult the intelligence of everyone here (ok, maybe not everyone Laughing ) by positing much debunked and unsupportable conspiracy theorist drivel when you appear to be an intelligent person.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I fail to grasp why you would insult the intelligence of everyone here (ok, maybe not everyone Laughing ) by positing much debunked and unsupportable conspiracy theorist drivel when you appear to be an intelligent person.

So you won't answer Sad

But we're facing a serious problem...

Neil Oliver: There’s nothing green about the green agenda...just plain old greed!

Dave down the pub has watched this and I don't believe, if I follow your lead, that initiating a struggle session will dissuade him when he's 6 pints in.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

So you won't answer Sad

But we're facing a serious problem...

Neil Oliver: There’s nothing green about the green agenda...just plain old greed!

Dave down the pub has watched this and I don't believe, if I follow your lead, that initiating a struggle session will dissuade him when he's 6 pints in.

Neil Oliver is a class a twat though. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I'm confused. On the one hand you seemed to get very upset when I intimated that Climate Change is more about ideology than science but when pressed for detail I get the impression that even the concept of a discussion is laughable.

What do we do with all the people who won't laugh along?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

I'm confused. On the one hand you seemed to get very upset when I intimated that Climate Change is more about ideology than science but when pressed for detail I get the impression that even the concept of a discussion is laughable.

What do we do with all the people who won't laugh along?

I'm happy to discuss the science if you want to put up a scientific argument. Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I'm happy to discuss the science if you want to put up a scientific argument. Laughing

But you won't be drawn on the ideological angle? Pick your battles I suppose Neutral

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is an EV that's caught fire more dangerous for its occupants than an ICE car that's caught fire?

Those who have bought an EV will say no, because to even ask the question suggests the questioner is questioning the current agenda (which you've already invested in), and are not a believer in the new revelation. If you argue with them they'll come up scientists who will support them in their contention that an EV fire, caused by a lithium fuel cell is almost completely harmless. A secondary wave of people (trying to look clever) comprising engineers, recruiters and social workers and equivalent people on that level, will jump on the bandwagon and start hitting up Google and providing a list of cherry-picked articles to support how ICE cars are basically Molotov cocktails, except highly dangerous and as explosive as small-scale nuclear bombs. All to appear to be the true believers in the new religion, and to not be alienated and to have social currency.

Common sense: that's a lithium battery fire. It's not safe. And a fire in an ICE car just isn't that dangerous, because the occupants have time to get out, and it's not that hard to put out. Also common sense: we're not in this together. Some of us (well, not us on this forum but more on the level of Musk, Gates and other individuals, and institutional investors) are in this to get mega rich and get global control, and don't actually care about the planet (as evidenced by their personal habits) yet will fund scientists...

Objective, scientific truth can't be immutable because then it's not science. At the same time, common sense is applied science that's survived the test of time. Common sense is the real engineering heritage.

Point being, leaving this stuff to the "experts" is dangerous. Nobody is stupid for not being a scientist, and you can't leave the construction of a chimney to the expertise of a chimney sweep (a maintenance engineer).

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Nobody is stupid for not being a scientist, and you can't leave the construction of a chimney to the expertise of a chimney sweep (a maintenance engineer).

Or "I don't need to be a vet to know what a cat is" ...with all due respect to the esteemed Mr. Stinkwheel Shifty

There's more CO2 in the atmosphere than some people might like, I think everyone understands the concept. How much is too much? Don't ask, trust me bro, it's too much! What should we do about it? Nothing tangible, far too dangerous! Just transfer all your wealth to your betters and let them sort it out. Now get back to work!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:10 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet millions of people walk round with lithium batteries in their pockets without bursting into flame.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Yet millions of people walk round with lithium batteries in their pockets without bursting into flame.

My mobile phone isn't likely to be hit by a truck.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:04 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do that with an ice car and you could end up with just as bad conflagration.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:33 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazard a guess that 90% of vehicle fires are caused by electrical faults irrespective of the gogo juice.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Mmm... I never did get a Galaxy Note 7 Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:44 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you drive a Chevvy Corvair either?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero! Canyonero!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 22 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Did you drive a Chevvy Corvair either?

For context I've had every Note bar version 1 & 7. I now have the spiritual successor the S23 Ultra Smile

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:53 - 23 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhoo, back to the the thread topic proper...

Just Stop Oil have moved from static tactics (superglue) to slow walk protests. We've probably all seen the footage of the guy who managed to attack the protestors before the police had got on the scene and now a frustrated pleb has done it right in front of the police:

Man arrested after clashing with Just Stop Oil activists on Blackfriar's Bridge

He actually lobs a protester at the police! Top man Smile I do hope worry that one of these events escalates into a full scale riot Thinking

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:33 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it may be worth pointing out this sort of protest has been going on for decades.

I found this, there's a rather cool looking chap at about 2:23 seconds in with a pink dreadlocked mohican powering the sound system by cycling.

I wonder what he's up to these days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8mAeQq3EHY

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:03 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Thought it may be worth pointing out this sort of protest has been going on for decades.

That seems kind of entirely different to JSO protests blocking rush hour traffic with the intention of pissing off as many people as possible.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:22 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was exactly what we were doing.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:46 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just a really bad video then as that's not the image portrayed.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:59 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I found this, there's a rather cool looking chap at about 2:23 seconds in with a pink dreadlocked mohican powering the sound system by cycling.

I wonder what he's up to these days...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8mAeQq3EHY

Needs more technoviking.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 31 May 2023    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in two minds over the intention of "Just Stop Oil" (or rather their sponsors.) Is it really to set back civilisation by centuries or is it actually to push the government into drafting draconian laws?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 52 of 55