Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Extinction Rebellion or how not to win an argument

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:30 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
All we can do is continue to try to work in the right direction

...and an integral part of that is allowing our kids to hold and voice opinions on the matter, without calling them Marxist stooges and anarchists, because if the next generation isn't interested, we are all up shit creek. Smile

The Rabid Left have only very recently been on the receiving end of Cancel Culture. For anyone with moderate political inclinations it's been more like a decade.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:56 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
All we can do is continue to try to work in the right direction

...and an integral part of that is allowing our kids to hold and voice opinions on the matter

Without rabid hysteria.
I mean, did we honestly need the phenomenon of Ms. Thunberg to point any of it out to us? And I'm sorry, but some of the cynical backing her 'campaign' accepts is frankly off-putting. It's not like it wasn't on the agendas of any governments and scientific bodies already. And what practical, implementable solutions have her and her cohorts suggested?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Ms Thunberg and crew have done is remind politicians that lots of the up and coming electorate disagree with how quickly they are moving on climate change. That has to be a good thing, whether or not you think Greta should have spent more time behind the bike-sheds drinking cider and getting fingered instead...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm not sure we want our kids (more accurately, your kids, since I don't have any Laughing ) to drive policy. They're still learning. It's like putting a passenger in the pilot's seat of an airliner. They might have a basic idea of how an aeroplane flies, but that's one flight I'll skip, ta very much Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
What Ms Thunberg and crew have done is remind politicians that lots of the up and coming electorate disagree with how quickly they are moving on climate change.

Again, the upcoming electorate haven't come up with any practical, implementable solutions as far as I'm aware. What would you do, now?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said 'remind', not 'drive'.

I wouldn't worry about being on a flight with my kids at the controls - it would never leave the ground because one of them would sleep in, one would argue that he has more important things to do (work/eat/weights/wank/sleep/repeat) and my beloved daughter wouldn't wear the uniform.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:19 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I said 'remind', not 'drive'.

Job done. Now, get rid of that dreadful avatar please.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
What would you do, now?

I would change the vehicle taxation system so it is payable per mile, not per annum. I would compulsorily purchase a shit-load of farmland and offer it free to people willing to grow their own food in return for a reduced working week. I would ban the import of many things we can grow/produce ourselves. I would restore our inland waterway system. I would re-introduce the Derelict Land Grant to enable Local Authorities to regenerate brownfield sites etc etc etc.

Everything I'd do would move us towards a market-town based economy where we aren't reliant upon fossil fuels for much of our transportation. A bit like it was during the war if you like, when we dug for victory. Basically, people would have to spend time growing food instead of playing Candy-Crush.

I predict millions ultimately living on their land in medieval fashion and a return to some sort of feudal system but with the benefit of soap.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
What would you do, now?

I would change the vehicle taxation system so it is payable per mile, not per annum. I would compulsorily purchase a shit-load of farmland and offer it free to people willing to grow their own food in return for a reduced working week. I would ban the import of many things we can grow/produce ourselves. I would restore our inland waterway system. I would re-introduce the Derelict Land Grant to enable Local Authorities to regenerate brownfield sites etc etc etc.

Everything I'd do would move us towards a market-town based economy where we aren't reliant upon fossil fuels for much of our transportation. A bit like it was during the war if you like, when we dug for victory. Basically, people would have to spend time growing food instead of playing Candy-Crush.

I predict millions ultimately living on their land in medieval fashion and a return to some sort of feudal system but with the benefit of soap.

Ever wondered why you aren't Prime Minister? Laughing
A suggestion: stop listening to your kids. Market town economies - for modern city sized populations? Good luck, not holding my breath for that one Laughing

Ok, my fallback position: we need to drastically reduce the human population for any solution to be effective. Time to join CND - Campaign for Nuclear Destruction! Very Happy

Please consider that your avatar isn't just visible in the politics section of the forum.

Oh, and not forgetting that a major reduction in population will allow the planet to reset Smile

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Ok, my fallback position: we need to drastically reduce the human population for any solution to be effective. Time to join CND - Campaign for Nuclear Destruction! Very Happy

This is exactly what I meant when I said that we are ignoring the only real crisis of current times. When mass death is considered a preferable option to a gradual shift towards a low fossil-fuel economy, you can see why I think some kids talk sense Laughing Laughing Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:15 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

This is exactly what I meant when I said that we are ignoring the only real crisis of current times. When mass death is considered a preferable option to a gradual shift towards a low fossil-fuel economy, you can see why I think some kids talk sense Laughing Laughing Laughing

You're the one who started in with the nonsense solutions Laughing

Ok, note: you mention "moving/gradual shift towards" non-fossil fuel transportation. What, we're not?! Confused Oh, you want it by tea time today? Hmmm, could be tricky. I'll see what I can do Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Ok, note: you mention "moving towards" non-fossil fuel transportation. What, we're not?! Confused Oh, you want it by tea time today?

Your turn, Chickenboi...

Do you think we are moving fast enough towards a non fossil-fuel transportation system?

If the answer is 'no', can you come up with a way we can do it faster, that doesn't involve a series of well-placed dirty-bombs or a fundamental change in the way we grow and transport food? Question Very Happy

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW this is where we need MDMA back, because he could blow my reasoning out of the water with a simple 'technology will take care of it' response...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

Your turn, Chickenboi...

Trying to shut down the discussion with name calling eh? Marxist! Laughing

Quote:
Do you think we are moving fast enough towards a non fossil-fuel transportation system?

If the answer is 'no', can you come up with a way we can do it faster, that doesn't involve a series of well-placed dirty-bombs or a fundamental change in the way we grow and transport food? Question Very Happy

Make up your mind - "gradual shift" or "crisis"? One is what I see already happening, the second suggests more urgent policies required - which is it? And if the latter, then you tell me what we do. I'm with your son on this one: work/eat/weights/wank/sleep/repeat Laughing See, I'm far more down with the kids than you are Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:57 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:

...and an integral part of that is allowing our kids to hold and voice opinions on the matter, without calling them Marxist stooges and anarchists

Even when they're being fed by Marxist stooges and anarchists?

Sure having an opinion on something is grand, when it's an opinion you've fully researched and listened to both sides of before forming it. There aren't a lot of 14-18 year olds out there that can critically research posts on Facebook, let alone complex political debates.

30 years ago you'd get the odd hardcore young demonstrator that grew up going out with their parents on CND missions. These days you've got hoards of absolute melts shouting punchlines and waving placards whilst not actually being entirely sure what change they want to bring about, let alone how they're going to go about it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only, and I repeat only, non fossil fuel transportation systems we could re employ is

https://www.sailboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/stad-amsterdam.jpg

and

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/BDJ39D/shire-horse-and-cart-in-harvest-field-collecting-sheaves-of-straw-BDJ39D.jpg

Electric cars, trains, everything else uses a portion of fossil fuels and will for many years hence unless we go to a mixture of nuclear plus renewables, and we all know how Greta's Guardians would react to that.

Planes will be a no no.

So the choices are, like Diggs says, revert to a culture of surfdom where people have to work to live which would mean huge swathes of people around the world dying from starvation or just simply have a nice big war to get rid of a few billion carbon life forms.

Changing to electric cars and recycling your milk bottles is not going to save the Polarbear. Crying or Very sad

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:06 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

revert to a culture of surfdom

I'm good with that Thumbs Up

https://www.surfertoday.com/images/stories/shakabrah.jpg

But then presumably the materials needed for my serf board would be banned cos plasticky or some such.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

But then presumably the materials needed for my serf board would be banned cos plasticky or some such.

OK Mr. Nitpicker, Serfdom.

Now get back in the fields and grow some turnips.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

OK Mr. Nitpicker, Serfdom.

Now get back in the fields and grow some turnips.

Laughing That's alright for late harvest but what do I do whilst I'm waiting for them to pop through? I'll answer my own question with.....starve.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

https://www.surfertoday.com/images/stories/shakabrah.jpg

And there's the nub of the matter: the serfs are bored!

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Although I'm not sure we want our kids (more accurately, your kids, since I don't have any Laughing ) to drive policy. They're still learning. It's like putting a passenger in the pilot's seat of an airliner. They might have a basic idea of how an aeroplane flies, but that's one flight I'll skip, ta very much Laughing

And the current pilots, how are they doing? Can they even read a compass?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

And there's the nub of the matter: the serfs are bored!

Entirely. Having a cause to fight gives life purpose. That's not to say the causes are worthless but it's seemingly fighting a cause just because it's a cause to fight. The country is racist. Fite. The country is boiling. Fite.

It's just something for them to give their lives meaning without having to assume any personal responsibility. It's all someone else's fault. They'll get cared for either way, so even the most tricked out soap dodging protester will have a life on the dole that's immeasurably more comfortable than if they were born in Asia, for example. But they'll still die, get shoved in a box and eaten by worms just like the rest of us.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:53 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Entirely. Having a cause to fight gives life purpose. That's not to say the causes are worthless but it's seemingly fighting a cause just because it's a cause to fight. The country is racist. Fite. The country is boiling. Fite.

It's just something for them to give their lives meaning without having to assume any personal responsibility. It's all someone else's fault. They'll get cared for either way, so even the most tricked out soap dodging protester will have a life on the dole that's immeasurably more comfortable than if they were born in Asia, for example. But they'll still die, get shoved in a box and eaten by worms just like the rest of us.

Bolloks. Environmental concerns are a very broad church. Trying to cast people with an interest in the environment in such a narrow way really is head in the sand stuff. If ever there was a movement which can have such mass appeal then environmentalism is probably it.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 11 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
And what is the "crisis"? Brexit isn't a crisis. It may cause some difficulty, but is not an emergency situation.
Trump is not a crisis. An anomaly perhaps, but presidents come and go.
Covid has been close, but when we look at the actual numbers of deaths, not that significant in terms of overall population, and best to leave the politics out of it anyway.

The crisis is the NHS. The NHS is in 'crisis'.

The NHS has never been out of 'crisis'.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:38 - 12 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Bolloks. Environmental concerns are a very broad church. Trying to cast people with an interest in the environment in such a narrow way really is head in the sand stuff. If ever there was a movement which can have such mass appeal then environmentalism is probably it.

You're not picking up on the nuances there at all.

Firstly, EVERYONE has an interest in the environment, it's what we live in - so of course it's a broad church. Within that broad church there's people that drive electric cars and don't buy cling film, and there's the swampy mongs that jump on the roof of tube trains at rush hour.

Some people have a healthy respect of the environment and do all they can to minimise their impact - others have a fundamentalist extremist view of climate change and socio-politicise it in disruptive protest. Those people are the type of people - youngsters mainly - to which I refer. They're looking for a cause to fight. It's not relevant what the fight is, as long as it's something to give them meaning.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 25 of 55